Masters Running

40s 50s 60s+ On the run - w/e 08/07 (Read 563 times)

jfa

If you have the courage to begin, you have the courage to succeed. David Viscott

Hi All,

Had a blast running the River to Sea Relay on Saturday. I was amoung a team of 7  that included RAers

Mississippi and her son Anthony, Willamona, RockenMomof5, Mishka, Craig (recruited from a local running club) and our support driver Adam. We ran acrosss the state of NJ,west to east. We each had two legs totaling about 14miles of running for the day.Absolutely perfect weather and all went smoothly. My legs went pretty well although a Garmin hiccup on leg 2 kept me from an accurate time. First leg was about 5 miles at 7:57 pace,second leg of 9 miles at about 8:00 per mile.We were one team out of 132 teams which made for a big crowd at the exchanges.We were able to complete the 92miles in 12hrs 6 mins thanks mainly to our fastest guy Mishka who on his first leg climbed the hill labeled "The Beast" turning 6:30's, then finished his last 8 miles turning 6:00 mm. Anthony was fast too, and only 19 years old. We finished up on the beach at Manasuan where there was a large pizza party and some celebratory beers.

Running on a team was a new experience and I would love to do it again next year.

Good week everyone!

Top 'O the World!

Very Kewl Joe!  Congrats on the awesome race! 

nice pic btw - & to quote my neice's young friend, "pretty hot for an old guy!"  

Congrats to Ev on the greta race &  AG! 

{{Carol}} don'tcha just hate those ppl!?   oh wait - I'm married to one!

I think I have a bit of a cold - waking up w/cruddy nose & upper chest (ick) past three mornings...clears out pretty well by later morning or so, it's just too danged H&H to run then! (sorry Joe) & then we've had social gatherings leading to beer drinking later pm....& THEN we've also been having daily rainstorms later in the day...sooo, I'm still offline w/my runs/workouts!  I'm so bad!  gonna try to shoot for a window later on.  

mta: nevr mind: 2.5 shade fartlek miles for me & 'Raid @ 10am...for you non-dog runners, that means, 2.5 second warm up, then run like heck to the next shade spot, stop or at least slow & rest for a cpl mins, repeat till back home. came out to a 11:22 av pc w/9:10 btwn trees. hit/splash down in kiddie pool @ home  

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
      stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Hi guys--I've been in lurk mode while on "vacation" the last week or so.  Only getting on line onece a day and then not for long. 

DW and I were in Maine at our camp, but also had FIL and friend and BIL visiting.  Taking advantage of BIL's enthusiam for scraping and painting made it a busy work week while we did the three most worth sides of two cabins and the boat house.  Actually go in a few runs over the week--although a cold on the first weekend and then a small return of right foot metatarsalagia (sp?) cut things down more that I would have liked.

Leslie--you're also enticing me over to the dark side (although not exactly kicking an screaming).  On Sunday, I decided to see if a snowmobile trail that crossses my normal route came out where I thought it did on another road nearby.  it did and I had a whopping 1.25 miles on a very nice, but uphill trail.  somepoint this year, I'll have to see how far it goes i the opposite direction.  Turned out to be part of 5 miles in low humidity and temps actually below 60 .  haven't gone back to confrim, but I think it's the first time this summer!  Best run of the summer.  More hills here and I think they're helping.

Ev--glad to see you back,  Sneaking in while I was gone.  Nice 5k.  I'd love to find a small race like that--sounds like fun.

Joe--excellent relay for you--looking PRETTY fresh if that was a transfer .  Sounds like a great time (with some speedy buds)

Greeting to everyone else--I used up lunch hour tryign to catch up on everything I missed.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - Happy Anniversary! Sounds like you had a successful weekend.

Carol - hilarious about your friend - "pray for me" - heh.

Joe - that sounds super-fun! I've been wanting to do a RAGNAR, but it's hard to get 12 people together who run and have the time and want to dole out the dole for the van and all.

Cindy - sounds more like some kind of allergy.

Kevin - welcome back from your "vacation" - trail running with temps in the 60s would convert anyone!

First week of Daniels' 18 week program starts today. Going to try my hand at "sets of 4-min hard with 3-min recovery jogs" for 6 mi. Sounds "fun", right?

Arla

Ex runner

I guess that brief report will have to do, Joe.   But sounds like you had a great time.  And some smokin' paces there, my friend.  6:30 mm on an uphill from Mishka?  Dang!

Carol - Loved your comments re your running partner and pastor.  And BTW - I was a child bride.  (And that's one of those things where I chant to myself, "It ain't a lie if you believe it."

Cindy - Hope you feel better soon.

Rest day for me.  Although I have the option on rest days of doing core work, I was just too tired this morning and opted for more sleep.  Went into the other room in the middle of the night 'cause the cats were all over me, and ended up bolting out of bed at 7:15.  The Hub's in watching the news.  Me: "Why didn't you walk me up?!?"  Him: "Didn't realize what time it was."   I've had coffee and breakfast, and I still feel like I could sleep all day.

MTA: It took me almost all morning to get a post in, so I missed Kevin and Arla.

Arla - Good luck with the speed work.  Don't be afraid to modify it for yourself.

Kevin - on being enticed to the Dark Side.  It's so much more fun!

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Nice racing Joe.  Sounds like a blast!  And yes, very good photo.

Heh heh...mtn said "fartleck."   Nice going in the H &H.  Get well.

Hey Stump....welcome back from vacation.  Sounds like you got some work in.....and a couple runs.  Take care of those phalanges.

Good luck, Arla, with the Daniels plan.

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Queen of 3rd Place

Hey Ev, what's shakin'??

Leslie - hope you enjoyed the rest day and feel better tomorrow!

Enjoyed a little easy 3 in the am, then tonight it was off to the track. I ran 1.5 mi slow to the track and back as a warmup/cooldown. I realized 4 min at "hard" pace was darn close to half a mile, so I did 3 x 2 laps at 7:30 pace and then realized that was enough. Three repetitions isn't much, but the legs got a good workout that I could feel, and that's the whole point (and not to burn out/get injured), right? Not bad considering it was 97F.

Arla

Ex runner

Hey Ev, what's shakin'??

Sh Sh Sh Sh Sh She was shakin'. 

Snappin' her fingers.

She was movin' round and round.

That girl was shakin'

Arla, your track workout sounds a lot like Yasso 800s?   Not knowing much about the Daniels plan, I'm assuming Daniels incorporates these intervals.  I have dabbled evr so slightly with those 800s, and want to use them more in my next training session.  Nice going....especially in 97F

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Great going on the relay Joe!  Sounds like you were in fast company too.  Glad the weather cooperated, and you're looking strong in that pic!

Cindy, hope you feel better.  LOL on the doggie intervals!  They do teach us the value of stopping to smell the roses, or...well...you know...that other stuff they like to smell for some reason.  Did Doug run in his HS days?  My friend was a junior olympian in track, so I blame it on that.

Stumpy, sounds like some good painting and scraping cross training going on.  As for the dark side, gotta watch out for those who live there .

Arla, good going on the intervals.  What little I've dabbled in that, it seems like it takes a couple of workouts to figure out the right pace.  And 97 degrees on the track is smokin'!

Leslie, I believe you, really .  Darned pushy cats.  You give them bed privileges and look what happens!

Ev, the man with a song for everything!  What you training for anything these days?

Will take a recovery swim and lift today (upper & core) after 2 days in a row of 5 mile runs + walking.  Garmin says (is that like Simon says?) I covered 13.18 miles in 2 days, which is quite a bit for me at this stage.  My legs had that "long run" achiness last night, but feeling pretty good otherwwise. 

Progress Trumps Pefection

I realized 4 min at "hard" pace was darn close to half a mile, so I did 3 x 2 laps at 7:30 pace and then realized that was enough. Three repetitions isn't much, but the legs got a good workout that I could feel, and that's the whole point (and not to burn out/get injured), right? Not bad considering it was 97F.

Nice job, Arla!  4 min at 7:30 pace?  Wowza.  I most definitely could not hold that pace for that length of time.  Maybe going downhill . . . .

Carol - 13+ miles in two days?  Nice going there, little lady.  Enjoy your swim and strength training.

Hey, Ev!  Are ya back for good?  Or at least for awhile?

50 min of core/upper body this a.m.., followed by 4 hill repeats.  With a w/u and c/d, it was about 2 miles.   I'm refusing to wear a Garmin for these 'cause I don't want to know how slow I am on The Hill.  I figure just getting up it without stopping is success enough - which I did the 2nd time, 'cause the first time I confused myself.  Don't ask.  Just . . . don't . . . ask.

Thought I had to do 5 repeats, but further scrutiny of my schedule showed 4 for one more week.  It made me .

Later ~

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Good call on the allergy thing, Arla - I think you may be right.  We've been getting the heavy afternoon rains nearly daily for the past few + I live w/4 furry kids...a Claritin did seem to help a bit.  I'm amazed that you run so well in the heat!   I'm doing better than I used to, but still!!! Good luck on the Daniel's program...let us know how it's going, K?

Good w/o's for you too Carol!  I need to go get me some "long-run" achey legs - miss 'em ..but not sure Mairead is ready quite yet...maybe I'm not either...hmmmm....re Doug - the only running he did in HS was drills during football & basketball! ~ no track or CC.  He's just one of those "natural athlete" types  ... first golf game in abt 18 mos - shot a 79...I did take him in some 8-ball ~ which means he was having an off night! He mostly doesn't gloat too much though...I think he understands how close he comes to getting clobbered by the rest of us mortals

Kevin - how long have you been dealing w/that?  & have you tried wider/ 1/2 size up shoes? foot strengthening? curious.

Leslie - I was a child bride the first time - & maybe even qualified a teensy bit the 2nd, but not by the 3rd  

Take care in that heat Ev!!  weather channel had a heat index of 116 in your area the other day!!!!

Hope Jim & Lynda are doing well....every day that we have rain, they have rain + some! and we've been having quite a bit! - great conditions for weed pulling! & been getting a few things out of the garden...some didn't do so well...I think I may have rabbits getting in

I'm still not finding Shadowrunners RR...

3.5 easy miles this am w/"Raid  - shade running again because we don't do direct sunlight,  I still can't breathe real well & waiting this late in the am, well, lotsa neighbors out expecting to chat!    Getting to be that time of year that there are quite a few other runners out there...prepping for Fall races & such. Should be a bunch more in about another month.    I wonder where they are the rest of the year??

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

jfa

Cindy- please tell your niece's friend that she just made my millennium. Hope you're feeling better and I can relate with the doggie stops. For Buddyboy and I, it's getting him swims between the sprints. Natural athletes sometimes annoy me, but I'll make an exception for your DH.

Kevin- Great job in getting BIL enlisted in helping.That's what family's for ,right? Absolutely get on as many trails as possible and enjoy being in the woods. I hope the foot is just a niggle(temp issue) sometimes the top of my foot doesn't feel right. Fortunately in realigns itself after a time.What I have seen of Maine is beautiful. Congrats on your BROTS.

Hey Ev we missed ya. Good race that sounds very enjoyable. Back just in time for NFL training camps and people are picking the Cowboys for the division and more. Should be a fun season. And no, I'm not trying to jinx them..

Leslie- Happy Anniversary! Nice philosophy with the hills. Just keep gutting it and the speed will come. Hills are speedwork in disguise

Carol- half marathon in a couple days, nice. Hoping your temps have moderated. Good going on your consistency.

Arla- nice track work for you in nasty temps. And yes you're wise with a gentle increase as far as going faster.What's your plan for mileage? I think that you were going to bump it up?

Hoping Jim and Lynda are fairing well....

Trying to reintroduce the old bod to some speedwork (Oct marathon now lurking ahead) so 6 miles at easy pace, then

7:30, 7:31 , 8:45 (this stuff is hard), 8:01. 100 situps+ 100 pushups.

Shadow's RR: http://www.runningahead.com/groups/PDP/forum/e15362cc22514cd8a72b7f0d20c9347f

I couldn't muster a run today.  Got up, fed the cats, sat down on the couch, and thought - Nope.  Ain't gonna happen.  It was one of those times when you're so tired, you feel a bit nauseous.  I'll either run after work, or just change up the schedule and do 10 tomorrow and upper/core on Friday instead of having a rest day on Friday.

Shocked everybody and wore a skirt and to work today.  The question: "Are you expecting the sun to come out?"  One can always hope.  We haven't seen the sun in 3 days.

I've "misplaced" the thumb drive of file I took off the computer at my previous job.  That thumb drive has my entire life on it.   I dreamed last night that I found it and came to work and was so excited!  . . . . then I woke up.   I know it's somewhere.  I just have to figure where that "somewhere" is.

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Carol - nice work there overall - that's a decent amount of mileage considering everything else you're doing! I assume that you're definitely noticing some results.

Ev - I thought for Yasso's you had to do something like 10 in a row...?

Cindy - the local runners have started to come out, even with the heat, I guess because our local half/full marathon is the first week of November. Lots of newbies, I think, because some people just look like they're working too damn hard!

Joe - yeah, the speedwork is hard, but it's kinda fun, too. At least right now it is! Ask again in 18 weeks.  And, yes, my plan is to peak at 70 mpw or close to it, assuming I can find the time. It's hard to do doubles - besides the extra time, there's extra prep, extra showering, extra laundry - but I think that's going to be the best way to go about it.

Leslie - I would carp my pants if I lost my thumb drive! I try to back everything up, but sometimes forget.

Easy 8 today, *maybe* can feel the speed workout in the legs, but not a big deal at all. Very please about that!

Arla

Ex runner

Arla - Glad the speedwork is treating you well.

Forced myself out tonight for my 10 miles.  It was one of those where I had to keep telling myself just run to X and you can turn around.  Then I'd get to X and say, well, you went this, far just to X and then you can turn around.  Soon I'd run to so many X's, it was 5 miles and I could go back.  It was party sucky, part tempo, part steady, part strides.  I just wanted to get it over with.  And I'm sick of the crappy weather we've been having.  Actually got cold on the second half.

Around Mile 8, this guy just flies by me on the other side of the road, looking fresh as a daisy.  Granted, he probably just started out, but I'm thinking he's like Joe - very cooly and easily running 8:00 mm or faster.  *raspberries*  (you know I luv ya, Joe. )

Okay.  I've eaten my oatmeal, I stink, I need a shower, and I'm going to bed.  Later, dudes and dudettes.

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance