Masters Running

Mondaily, 4.2.18 (Read 37 times)

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

61F

3.25 miles of slow running through Skipwith. Steve and Jane ran ahead. Bruce stayed with Ralph and me. And then I told the boys to get going because I was going to do my Japanese slow running. This is really working for me. Nothing hurts. Then we went into the rec center and did a Cybex circuit. And then stretched.

Now I am on a train to NoVa.  I was supposed to be driving up tomorrow at 0400 but, due to a series of unfortunate events.... I am taking the train tonight. Which is fine. Because Ralph brought me a Wawa roasted vegetable hoagie to eat on the train. And I won't have to mess with the traffic that is always in Stafford county.

So Henry. We have train rides in common.

Holly, your vacation sound lovely!

Steve, I liked the EB photos.

Dave59. There was an episode of Everybody Loves Raymond that corresponds with your thermostat experiment. Did Cindy60 turn on the heat yet?  Or did you?  (The episode involved a suitcase at the bottom of the stairs).  I played a similar game with a tube of toothpaste.  I wondered which one of us would give up on the tube and start a new one. Turns out Ralph opened the the new one. BUT. I cheated. I found an old travel size to use just to keep the unspoken contest going.

TwoCat.  Thank you. Your words re: Blaine's job quest calmed me down. AND.  Today, he went to the swamp to go for a run. When he returned he said, "I have two more interview requests"  One is with a real estate company in Richmond. One is with a government contractor in Arlington.  He was so excited.  I sure hope something pans out for this eager young man. He loves the paralegal curriculum. I hope he finds a rewarding job.

And now the train has stopped on the tracks and we haven't even got to Richmond yet. I have a feeling this is going to be a long ride. I am glad I got that hoagie.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Tammy - . . . . SOB 50k . . . . they have 80 spots left . . . I think I'm going to sign up signed up. 

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

It's snowing...and it's going to snow throughout the night and all day tomorrow...it's never, ever, going to stop snowing.

I ran 9 miles in the sloppy, wet, snow, including 3 x 2 miles at "strength" pace.

Okay--gotta go shovel...then get to bed so I can get up early and shovel some more...because it's snowing...and it's never, ever, going to stop.  See ya.

StarrRuns good luck getting your DH back on the wagon. Congratulations to you for beating alcoholism for six years now.

Back to the week and being so busy I can barely see straight. No running or anything else exercise wise for me today.  Well, maybe if you count running down five flights of stairs to get my coat out of my car and then back up two. That little jaunt was prompted by the need to meet a guest speaker in my class. Just one little detail, I thought she was coming next Monday! Well you have to be fast on your feet sometimes and adjust. The talk seemed to go well and lunch was good so all is well that ends well.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Thanks for your kind thoughts and prayers for me and MrStarr today.  I have been up since 3am putting my thoughts on paper. I trust that all things will work out but feel rather defeated right now.  A year ago I came in dead last at a 10 mile race but that was nothing compared to this.  I left a note this morning that I wanted to talk to him at 1pm on my lunch hour and asked him to not have any drinks before then. The psychiatrist we see told us two weeks ago that we would both benefit from talking to a therapist.  At that appointment we asked for a plan for him to taper off the meds. Well, he did it his own way and perhaps that is part of this whole problem. He listened to me and didn't argue a lot with what I said.  He is in denial though and refused to go see someone, to go see our pastor or to confide in someone he trusts.  He said he'd cut back and see how that goes.  Well, you don't go from showing up drunk at Saturday's 1pm choir rehearsal to being a social drinker.  Pastor Wes even called me after the rehearsal to see what was up. I had talked with him before so it wasn't a surprise. Wes came by the house later on to ask him if he had been drinking. He fessed up to that but is in denial that he needs help. He does admit that he is an alcoholic.  The mission trip to Guatemala was so good for him and I sincerely thought he would be changed but it didn't last long.

Well, I have to take care of me and try to get some rest.  We are supposed to check in with the doctor after he is off the medicine but I plan to talk to the doctor tomorrow to let them know what is going on rather than wait until May.

I think we are gonna get a bunch of snow tonight too, yuck!  I even backed in the garage so I can get a running start at the drifts that won't be shoveled by 7am. On a positive note, MrStarr hasn't had anything at all today and I can tie my own shoes now, woo hoo!  Thanks again guys, I haven't talked to people here except Pastor Wes, DD's and DS and my group at Celebrate Recovery so it helps to vent here.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Mariposai

Starruns, please know I am praying for you and Mr. Star. You know my number if you ever want to call just to chat, pray or just hang out.

Holly, what an amazing fun vacation you are having. We want to see more pictures.

Erika, what is your recovery run plan for the week? I am planning to stick to my 4 days a week running and cross training. I know I must be patient, but it is so hard.

Econo, your Easter weekend celebration sounds just so relaxing and fun. Please pass the left over pizza.

CR, so great to see you posting again.

My mariiposai wings went out for a 6 miler post work today. Have I mentioned how good it is to be running outside and to have the wind welcome your every step? Tomorrwo is biking per PT orders.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

I’m so sorry, Starr.  It’s a tough battle.  It can be very dangerous to try to stop on your own.  I wish your husband would consider an in-patient program, but that requires admitting that you need help.  My next door neighbor was a heavy drinker and tried to quit on his own 2 summers ago and shocked his system so badly that he had a heart attack and died at age 42.   It’s a vicious disease.  Prayers for all of you.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

9.0 @ 8:04 ez effort

Starr; I was married to a drunk for about 7 years. However, she'd stopped drinking about 10 years before I met her. it's not for everyone, but AA does seem to work wonders for some people. They seem to have meetings for all types, and don't really care if you take or leave whatever aspects works for you. Just a suggestion.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

evanflein

Starr, hang in there sweetie. Thinking of both of you and hope he can get back on track soon. I'm sorry, it's gotta be so hard. But hey, you're tying your own shoes! Good progress. What was the time frame for declaring yourself healed from that break?

Mariposai, I'm doing an every other day thing for now. I started just increasing a couple minutes a day, but increased quite a bit on Saturday with a 5.4 mile run. Today was 4.1. On alternate days, I've been going to the gym to do the elliptical and some weights/strength stuff. Was going to go pool running on Sunday but pool was closed for Easter (but gym was open, go figure). So, next big progress will be a back-to-back run and I may try that this week (short, maybe a mile or two). Still have some soreness in lower shin but not real pain, so keeping going. What's hard is the feeling of total loss of endurance and stamina. I just can't keep going no matter how slowly I go. It's frustrating how many rest breaks I need. Bah.

So, yes, 4.1 miles with soft slippery snow, icy overflow, frozen slush and a breeze that made my eyes water and nose run. I think I'll do Wednesday's run on the treadmill. These outdoor conditions are just too icky and I'm worried about falling on the ice. Not worth it.

Mike, I know the feeling. It'll never stop snowing and this damn snow will never melt away. But hey, ask me again in a month.

SteveP

Dave59-Kudos for working in an office with that temperature.

Tammy - Proud parents rock.

Kale is good if you roast it in the over with olive oil and sea salt. Then dump it in the compost bin!

FIFY.

Holly - It sounds like living a dream.

Starr - Your tale is heart wrenching. Denial is a killer. The addict isn't only hurting themselves. They're breaking the hearts of everyone who cares about them.

I became friends with a man from the last place I worked. What a sharp guy. 34 years old, wife and two kids. He took to drinking hard when he found out his wife as having an affair. When we talked, I never criticized his wife, but the way in which he dealt with it. We discussed the two lies he was telling himself; "It's not that bad" and "I can handle it".With addiction, it is that bad and you can't handle it. I don't know how many times I straight out said, "Your denial is killing you.". At 37, his internal organs began to shut down and I visited him in the hospital just before Christmas. His was given a 60% chance of survival. When he got out, he stayed with his parents. DW and I got gift cards so he could get his children Christmas presents. He quit returning phone calls and texts. I didn't know where his parents live. Just after the New Year, he drank himself back into the hospital and died. I have to say I'm a better person from knowing him.

On a happier note. No crisis-es nor deadlines. No one had accounting problems nor allocation problems of impending doom. No blood pressure through the ceiling......Now what?

The dogs and I did about three miles off the beaten path. I followed them down a very muddy deer path that appears to have a spring under it. It was extremely slipper on the way down and I was thankful for all the trees I slid into. There was no going back up that way with out DW beating me to a pulp for coming back covered in mud. We get to the edge of a creek and it's flat and had been graded at one time.

There are three posts in this picture.

And a collapsed bridge or platform.

The dead tree in the middle of the creek was mature before it died. I'm guessing it took root in a large branch that got hung up. And it's fairly beat to pieces from time and the elements. I'm guessing the artifacts are late 1800's.

SteveP