Masters Running

MLK Monday 1/21/19 (Read 39 times)

DOGGIES!

10 trail miles

on Mt Tamalpais today; 5 unrelenting miles up, 5 unrelenting miles down. Muddy and rocky. The route I took is an old gravity car railroad grade, so it's never too steep to run but it's also never flat. 1440' climb in 5 miles. Went up in 54, down in 38. It never was a struggle, I kind of did easy effort both ways.

Football: I don't watch pro sports because in my mind it's not very exciting, but I did turn on the last half of the second game yesterday, and it was surprising how hard they both were trying to win! I guess when big bonuses kick in for conference title games they get a little more personally motivated.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

evanflein

5.5 easy miles on the treadmill. It looks like it's going to warm up a bit here, maybe even temps in the upper teens/twenties by next weekend. Heatwave!

Hey friends - crazy times around here!!

I ran/jogged a VERY SLOW 1.2 miles yesterday morning before work - it was a snowy, slushy mess in Boston but back at home we had 9 inches of snow. Fortunately DH woke up with me and cleaned off my car making it easier and quicker for me to get to work. I ended up sleeping in the hospital last night so I could hang out with friends and watch the PATS without having to drive home just to turn around and go back this morning. Not the best sleep, but I was in a call room instead of a patient room so not awful either. I definitely had more sleep than if I did the drive!!

Today my 1.2 miles was a walk on my lunch break. It was nasty cold and windy - my mother thinks this is what Alaska must be like. Is she right Erika? I also tried a new vegetarian/vegan place in Longwood Medical Center - Clover Lab -- so yummy!!

One more 12 hour shift tomorrow then 4 off!!!

Sweet dreams my friends!! Bring on the SUPERBOWL!!!!!

denise

Tomorrow I can again do rehab intervals. The problem is that it will be at most in the low 20s and windy. Can anyone think of what I could possibly wear that would make doing them outside bearable? This is a serious question. My PT prefers that I do them outside  rather than on a TM. But I cannot figure out how to make that happen, sans frozen misery, in such cold weather

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Tomorrow I can again do rehab intervals. The problem is that it will be at most in the low 20s and windy. Can anyone think of what I could possibly wear that would make doing them outside bearable? This is a serious question. My PT prefers that I do them outside  rather than on a TM. But I cannot figure out how to make that happen, sans frozen misery, in such cold weather

Layers.

It won't be easy, it will be like trying to jog in a business suit, and overcoat. I "ran" a few times wearing my snowboarding gear in subzero to 20 degree temps at 10k feet in Colorado.

But yeah, running pants over tights, fleece over t-shirt, jacket over fleece. Gloves, hat. Just don't try to double up on socks, because if your shoes fit too tight there is no room for insulative warm air around them, negating the extra fabric.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Dr. King was my first introduction to the real world when he spoke at the University of Washington two months after I entered there in 1961, . . . and a local church withdrew their invitation because it was getting “political.” .

Before running barefoot became vogue, I used to use the mariposai excuse too and explain that I’d “forgotten my shoes” to barefoot doubters but nobody ever suggested I go buy a new pair of shoes and I sure never thought of it, . . . and haven’t since 1990.
              Slept in too late for a Hillside jaunt so went to evening spinning class before which I took the center’s fitness test and though I had heard of it herein, didn’t know what it was but scored “excellent” on a two minute “plank” test and same for pulse rate or 74 after three minutes of stepping.  However, I declined the fitness “special” of $200/month for one-hour, once-a-week fitness, strength and stretch training.

Eclipse day yesterday was cloudy and damp and I’d given up any hope of seeing anything so not sure why I decided to peek outside anyway about 8pm and, voilla! - earth’s shadow was gradually creeping across the face of the full moon in a starry sky.  However, through the telephoto lens, it wasn’t just in black-and-white.  Instead, an orange hue became increasingly visible under the shadow on the surface of the moon as the eclipse progressed to entirety, almost the same orange color we were seeing all summer long through smoke and haze from Oregon and British Columbia forest fires.

ps erika - impressive 14.5 mile TM.

Are you and Montana secret sisters

with your loves of Hawaii

and impressive TM'ing?

pps surly - good job.  How far to you

have to go to get to Mt. Tam?

ppps bioguy -

good job

good job

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

It was nasty cold and windy - my mother thinks this is what Alaska must be like. Is she right Erika?

Ha, well considering Alaska is huge and is about the size of 1/5 the contiguous states, and has several different climate zones, she might be right in some locations and at some times. Anchorage, for example, is generally warmer than us here in the Interior, but they have more wind and damp conditions. I hate Anchorage. Fairbanks is interior and generally referred to as a "frozen desert," meaning we're dry and cold. But also hotter and drier in the summer. Our snow is usually dry and blowy and doesn't pack well until lots of vehicles pack it down. I can usually clean off the stairs with a broom rather than a shovel. And we don't normally get much wind. So today we were around -13 most of the day, and there was a bit of a breeze earlier in the day that died down.

So, there's that brief little lesson on "what's it like in Alaska?" The answer is always: It depends. 

Twocat, you'll survive. Just layer up a bit and you'll be fine. I rarely do more than 2 layers on the bottom and 3 on top.

Tet: I'm about 15-20 driving miles to get to the trailhead I like, and across a bridge. Depending on what time of day, it can take an hour to drive home. I don't need to tell you about traffic, you're in Seattle. East Bay hills regional parks are about 5-6 miles away, but the soil has a lot of clay so it's un-runnable do to stickiness when it gets wet. Most of my miles are on the Bay Trail, on the shoreline of...the bay. It's about 1 mile from my house to a trailhead. Flat and paved bike path, but there's a dirt shoulder to run on for a lot of it.

Yeah! I forgot the Super Wolf Moon Blood! It was raining and cloudy when it started, but cleared up about 9:00pm when it was fully eclipsed!

...twocat//.....agree with the rest,

just remember

the balaclava to cover your nose and mouth so it's 40-degree air you're sucking in..

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

evanflein

Oh good grief. You don't need to warm the air before you breathe it, and low 20's is a very nice temp to be out, no balaclava needed. At most a neck gaitor and headband to cover your ears. Good to go.