Masters Running

Thursday 9.20.18 (Read 41 times)

Dave59

Ran 4 today. Another humid morning but in 2 days it is supposed to really cool down.

I'm looking forward to hockey season this year. In fact, I just ordered 2 tickets to see the Buffalo Sabres in Columbus in October.  I've seen the Buffalo Sabres lose in person in Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Chicago, Detroit, and Dallas.  I need to add another city.  

Holly S. my experience in negotiations is you start with the nuclear option and work your way down from there. Glad to see it work once again! I wish my DW would take the kind of aggressive attitude you did. We have a lawyer who is just totally passive. I want to can him. It may have gotten to the point where DW will finally let me do so.

Three laps crutching around the deck. Oh boy! Cool weather here. Low humidity so I did not overheat or anything. 

I have a possible solution to my haircut problems. I called the barbershop and asked if somebody could cut my hair while I stood (since I currently cannot sit due to the surgery). I know the barber who answered and she is very petite. Not a chance she could. She put me on with another barber there who I know is pretty tall. He said he would figure out something. So, next Thursday the bird's nest growing on the top of my head gets mowed down! Also, none of that could happen but for Mariposai coming out to rescue me, as she will get me there and back. Who knew sitting was so important.  Yeah, yeah, I know I knew it was important too.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

''Three laps crutching around the deck. Oh boy! Cool weather here. Low humidity so I did not overheat or anything. ''

......for any of us post-surgery,

this is Impressive

(at this point

I was tempted to tell you to have someone Lean you up against something,,,,,,,,,,,but resisted it)

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

wildchild

Carolyn

I had a fun 5.5 mile trail run with 2 friends this morning.  It was cool and overcast, and IRC!  I have another trail run with friends on tap tomorrow, so life is good.  I'm SOOOO happy to be healed up and running again!  Sending hugs to those of you who can't run right now, and hope you all get back to running soon!

I tried Hokas once, to see what all the fuss was about.  They were too big and cushy for my tastes, but they do make it feel like you're running on pillows. Great if you like running on pillows...

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

I've read on this forum that the GoRuns are great, light shoes. I'm having a very hard time finding them here. None of the locally-owned stores carry them. I got the Bondi, which seems pretty light. And I have a very narrow foot so they fit nice and snug. The only thing is the store where I bought them will not let you bring them back if you wear them outside. And just reading some of your posts about how they changed your gait has me a little nervous. I've worn Saucony Triumph's forever. Maybe I'll just play it safe and swap the Hokas out for them. At $150/pair, you really want to like them and make sure they're a good fit!

Thanks for the feedback.

I love talking about shoes!

Yeah, you really can't just go buy Skechers Performance running shoes. The Skechers stores only carry the "athleisure" models like GoRun Mojo, 400, 600; none of which are serious running shoes. Running stores don't seem to be able to get them or don't know they exist. I'm lucky in that I have an outlet 1/2 mile from my house that I drive by all the time, so I stop in once a week and see what's new. Once you ARE able to try some one and buy them, you can shop online from then on.

The new Bondi is supposed to be lighter, I haven't tried them yet. Don't worry much about them changing your gait, unless they are going to be your ONLY running shoe. Mixing it up with different shoes and surfaces should make you stronger and less likely to get overuse injuries. For some people, Bondi and others are their perfect shoe, and they live happily ever after. And then other people may get sore or experience pain after only a few runs; but this is the same with ANY shoe that doesn't work with your gait. The Bondi and Stinson aren't very good for running fast, but for long runs and easy runs they shouldn't make anything hurt!

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, in apartment after work and trying to decide whether or not to join the group bike ride.  Finishing in the dark now....not something I've done a ton of.  Anyway, slept in so got to run in the heat of the day at lunch.  Mid to upper 90s, course ran by the Alabama River so the humidity was high along the unpaved road there.  8:40 pace for 5.5+ miles.

Have used (and am using) HOKA Constant and Constant 2.  The are a mild to moderate support shoe, similar to the Asics GT 2000 (still my "go to" shoe).  I like the Constants--especially after I broke my leg and dislocated my foot.  I have narrow feet so no sizing issues.

May be back later.  If not, have a great night everyone!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I love talking about shoes!

What are shoes?

I love learning so much here but sure glad shoes doesn't

have to be one of them. After Nike waffle-stompers in 1977,

I only got as far as Brooks Vantage (1979), Adidas Trail in '81

and a Saucony something in '83) but nothing since then.

neat ploy twocat but kind of extreme way to get goddesses

feeling sorry enough for you to come out and give you a haircut.

Well, enjoy it . . . while you have enough hair to do it.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Joe618

Holly, way to nail the deal for your client.   Well done!

I have settled so well with a shoe that works, Brooks Adrenaline, that I just don't worry or experiment.   Dancin' with the girl that brung ya'....   I'm on my 35th pair.

Tet, you have even a better plan!!   Ah, Brooks Vantage...that was my Very First Pair Of Real Running Shoes, in 1979.   Remember them fondly.

Enjoy your Friday everyone!!

Joe

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

Falconfixer

So I did join the group ride.  22.6 or so in 1:18.  Legs didn't have much snap but the group waited at major turns.  Hate when I'm the anchor.  We finished in the dark....lots of lights on the bikes (about 8 or 9 riders in the B group).

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I had to just scan the posts.  It's been a very long day.

The team went out to practice but, as soon as the warmup was done, lightning struck and the head coach called everybody inside.  I asked him if he wanted me to follow the rules and come in, too.  He said, "I have no control over you.  Do whatever you want."  So, I got in 7.9 miles in a pouring rain.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

1k warmup, then 3x1k @ 4:00-4:10 with 1k EZ recovery between, then EZ to finish up 7.5M total.

It finally got warm here, maybe 80 in the afternoon. I waited until 5pm to run, and was surprised at how many other runners I saw on the Bay Trail. Must be the 9-to-5 crowd who just got off work.

Gotta figure out what's making my hip hurt, now it bothers me more than my achilles on opposite leg. You know that feeling of pulling off a bandaid that doesn't want to come off? Sometimes I get that, only it's like a super-sized bandaid, right across my iliac crest, but mostly it's sore during the right (wrong?) motion in my gluteus medius area directly below the iliac crest. My best guess at this point is I.T. band syndrome but at the hip end instead of the knee end. After 2-3, or 4, miles it warms up enough that I don't notice it, but shows up again soon after I'm done running. Maybe I need to take a few days to a week off 

Tammy, BEWARE, we're having a heat wave, Sonoma is going to get HOT during the day. The evenings are going to be greta, though!

Tet, you're a role model!

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Mariposai

Holly, you are such an inspiration!!! Wow, way to deal with the slacker Smile.

Coastwalker, welcome back! It looks like you and your DW had a blast.

Tamster have a blast with your DH during your weekend get away!!

Erika, when is your next race? Knowing you, you have a few marathons lined up between now and Christmas.

Deez4boy, I was thinking of you today.

Where is Rosecolored glasses?

Anneb, nice way to relax and let the purring of the cat keep you company

Henrun, I am with you. I  purchased a hokas about 3 years ago. It does change my gait too much. I use them here and there, but not on a regular basis.

Today was a big day for me as a leader of my agency. A year ago, we had some findings during our state audit. In  six months after the end of the audit last uear, I did a LOT of agency cleaning up, hired the right people for the right places and today we had a clean audit exit conference. The cleanest audit the agency has seeing in over a decade. Hard work pays off.

To celebrate the victory I went running for 5 miles with 4 at tempo, the pace was not accurate since my old garmina is giving up on me and is just not measuring the distance nor the pace right.

Off to do laundry. I have some packing to do.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

Erika, when is your next race? Knowing you, you have a few marathons lined up between now and Christmas.

Next race is a half marathon here on Oct. 13. It's on part of the Equinox course and has some challenging hills in the first half, but the second half is pretty flat. Biggest "issue" will be the weather, which could be fine or could be total slop with snow and ice. Then is a marathon on Dec. 8 in Delaware, the Rehoboth Beach Marathon, that I'll be doing with a local friend. Then March 9 with Holly in Hawaii!

5.3 miles today, started slower and finished strong. Legs still a little tired but overall ok. Rain all day but it stopped as I was heading out, so I didn't break any silly rules today.

Marathon Maniac #957

Today was a big day for me as a leader of my agency. A year ago, we had some findings during our state audit. In  six months after the end of the audit last uear, I did a LOT of agency cleaning up, hired the right people for the right places and today we had a clean audit exit conference. The cleanest audit the agency has seeing in over a decade. Hard work pays off.

Nancy, YOU are my inspiration!

Erika - snow and ice - don't even talk about that stuff yet!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

tetsujin209 desperate times call for desperate measures .

Slow news day here. Finally got the AC system repaired. Cruthed 3 laps around the deck. Went to PT. Managed to raise up on my forefoot any number of times. Then on my heal brought my forefoot up a number of times. That took so much out of me that my friend and day's chauffeur went to lunch. Hack, when you burn calories like that, you have to make them up you know. 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/