Masters Running

Tuesday Dailies Dec 19 (Read 40 times)

Surly Bill - I have soaked said shoe and will soak it as many times as I have to.  I also bought a wrap tonight for my foot and will be using it.  'Til now I've kept my shoe on until I went to bed and that made things feel better.

It freaking POURED when I got off work this evening.  I was a fairly drenched individual by the time I got to my car. 

Real or Non-Real Runner - I was not athletic at all growing up, so when I started running it took me awhile to believe I could claim the title of "Runner," or even "Athlete" for that matter.  I am a runner, I am an athlete.

YES!  We need Mike's letter!!!

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Wow, what great weather we have had here in Minnesota, in the 40’s yesterday and today. After work I ran the campground trail around the bay, just 2 1/2  miles. MrStarr had a huge bonfire going when I got home. No hotdogs and marshmallows but we listened to the geese on the lake and could see the Christmas lights across the lake. Snow is coming here too, Erika. I am glad my family doesn’t have to travel.

KSArunner, are you on track with the pace bunny?

Leslie, what a day you have had, when do you get to see a doctor?

I am am definitely not an athlete but am so glad I started running. It gives me confidence and I love that feeling that I am doing something good for my body. I was ecstatic when I could actually run a mile without stopping, and then the 5 miles around the lake....that was a huge accomplishment for me, athlete or not.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

evanflein

Way to go, Starr! That's what it's all about. Nice to have a fire in the winter... do you guys have any snow yet?

Our cat peed in the laundry basket a couple of times. That was gross, because it got all over everything and you didn't really notice it until you go to do the laundry. Bleck. We got a tall laundry hamper with a lid and that seems to have done the trick. I don't think she liked sharing the house with poor old Abby.

We sure have snow! And apparently lots of incompetent drivers. No shortage of evidence of lots of vehicles doing headers into the snowbanks along the roadsides. I'm glad we have a good truck with good tires. Makes all the difference. Came home and ran 5.2 miles on the treadmill. Right shin is still sore, but just annoyingly so at this point. I guess my normal M.O. is to keep running on it till it's really injured, right? 

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Happy Monkey Christmas and Boston Bull Christmas.

I grew up with my mom’s succession of toy BB’s.
          Love ‘em. <<<(Imp, Lady, Trixie, Gidget, etc.)>>> 

besides, they never peed in shoes, laundry, etc.

ps KSA - how was the Sunday service finale?

I do it because I like to. 

me too.
          I’ve never been accused of being serious about running and, since I’ve rarely, if ever, trained for the last 40 years of marathons that’ve allowed me to see if I’m in good enough shape anyway from skiing, etc. to run 26.2 miles without stopping (ed update: add “or walk” for the last couple of years), I’ve never thought of my being a “real runner” compared to the dedicated masses who faithfully train even more miles than they race to try to do even better than they would do otherwise without cheati, . . . I mean training, or simply run for the sake of running without going anywhere except to go somewhere only to come right back, but, if liking running marathons the way I do even in the foulest of weather here in the PNW counts, I’m a real runner too, . . . every once-in-a-while, . . . maybe.
          ps - I’ve never been accused of being a real writer, either.

Ran 7 with my training partner. She is retiring at the end of the year. A few months later she and her spousal equivalent will move to Florida. I am going to miss having her to run with. I need to think of a retirement/parting gift. We have been running together for about a decade now. Any ideas?

pps twocat - check out Luna Running sandals for cool, barefoot-like running comfort down in tropical Florida. Pretty much the same but more expensive as thongs I use on rocky trails but they’re not uncommon around here in the PNW where the company started makin' 'em based on Tarahumara huaraches.  Otherwise, give her a shoe box with nothing in it so she can enjoy the sandy beaches like they're supposed to be enjoyed, - sine shoes, . . . or maybe give both.  
          ppps erika - sounds like a smart cat
          to me, or just didn't you have

any handy shoes around?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Thanks, tet.   The reception for her was wonderful.  I know most of them will miss her.  Her personal politics are no secret, so there are a few who won’t be sad, although they will now just have fill in clergy on Sundays for the foreseeable future.  She has 2 more Sundays and we will go over for Christmas Eve.  She is going to sing the prelude to the service.  She was asked to.  She normally doesn’t like to sing and preside, but they don’t have a choir or anything and she was a vocal performance major and is very good.  It was sad to say her goodbyes but her sermon was terrific.  A few folks told me how impressed they were at how graciously she handled the divorce.  She did better than me, but she certainly  isn’t very gracious about it in private- nor should she be!  She sold 10 copies of her book Sunday morning!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth