Masters Running

Thu July 24 Runs and Musings (Read 618 times)

Holly's speed trap story got me remembering ... Several years ago I bought a beautiful new convertible Porsche. With the top down I pulled out of the dealership and pushed it up to 80 mph on the freeway. Loving life, the wind in my hair ... Oops, I look in the rear view mirror and there is a State Trooper behind me with his lights going. I speed up to 100, 110, 120 mph. Then I think "This is stupid. I'm too old to be acting like a kid." So I slow it down and pull over to the side of the road. The Trooper comes alongside and says "By all rights I should haul your a-- off to jail. But it's been a long day and my shift ends in a half hour. Give me a really good reason why you were driving so fast and I'll let you go". I pause and think. Finally I said "Many years ago, my DW left me and ran off with a State Trooper. I thought you were bringing her back". "Have a nice day" he says. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

The Jogger

Rest day for me today but would just like to wish Spareribs all the very best today..... Bill, great story Big grin Big grin Big grin
        breger1 Thank you for a very hearty belly laugh this morning, great story. dickygBravo on the George Costanza pickup. A special prize is being sent. CNYRunnerI thought I recognized that peak. Giant and Cascade are two of my very favorites. HollyWhile DD may be a handful I love the creative reasoning to try to form a truce between pets. Kids that can be a little mischievous but are creative are some of the kids I most enjoy teaching. btb Don't be such a stranger, it was so good to see you post yesterday. Spareribs I am glad it is a straightforward procedure and I will wish you good health today and onward anyway. Today was a classic example of bring the body and the mind will follow. I started out the door this morning and as I got to the end of the driveway it began to rain. I had checked the radar beforehand and knew this was a possibility. I had 2 choices, go back in and wait it out or run anyway. I decided to run and that was entirely the better decision to make there. In a drizzle I ran perhaps the most delightful 10 miles I have ever run. Legs felt fresh and had some snap at the end of the run. After showering I feel refreshed and ready to take on drywalling, scraping old adhesive, sanding, painting and changing a light fixture in the kitchen. Time to get to work but will check back later. Good day and good runs all!
          GOOD A State Trooper was running radar and had a perfect spot to watch for speeders, but wasn't getting any. Then he discovered the problem. A 12 year old boy was standing up the road with a hand painted sign which read 'RADAR TRAP AHEAD!' The officer later found a young accomplice down the road with a sign reading, 'TIPS' and a bucket full of money. (Beats a lemonade stand!) BETTER A motorist was mailed a picture of his car speeding through an automated radar post, a $40.00 speeding ticket was included. Being cute, he sent the police department a picture of $40.00. The police responded with another mailed photo ... this one of a set of handcuffs. BEST A young woman was pulled over for speeding, as the State Trooper walked to her car window, flipping open his ticket book, she said, 'I bet you are going to sell me a ticket to the State Police Ball.' He replied, 'Maam State Troopers don't have balls.' There was a moment of silence while she smiled and he realized what he'd just said. He then closed his book, got back in his patrol car and left. She was laughing too hard to start her car. I think I've pretty much heard them all including yours breger! Wink

#artbydmcbride

Good luck today Ribsy! You too The Saint! Smile I guess I'll have to post my own run all boring like ntil you get back; last night ran 5 miles..very slowly.

Runners run

Love to run in a warm rain, but not with thunder and lighting so I went to the health club and ran 3 on the dreadmill. Later did laps in the pool 400 meters.
                Funny thread today so far. CNY--it doesn't look like much from the road, but Cafe Rustica on Highway105 has some decent Italian food--the local running club invited me to eat with them after the Grandfather Marathon earlier this month and it was good. mainerunnah, we'll have to find each other before the race and trade jokes--I've heard about 84,000 lawyer ones. Oh, and is there another Portland Wink? Sox and Yankees this weekend, gulp. grins, A
                Masters 2000 miles
                lamerunner

Hope Spareribs' tune up is going well. I ran a humid kind of tired 8 miles this morning; I did mostly dodge the rain, no small feat this morning in NE. I am running the Portland Me marathon too. Heard any new lawyer jokes?
                    Amos and lamerunner we'll definately have to meet up before the Marathon...it's always good to meet other runners especially those on RA. So you want lawyer jokes huh: Q: What do you call 25 skydiving lawyers? A: Skeet. Q: What do you call a lawyer gone bad? A: Senator. Q: What’s the difference between a lawyer and an onion? A: You cry when you cut up an onion. Q: What do you call a lawyer with an IQ of 70? A: Your honor. Q: What do you throw to a drowning lawyer? A: His partners. Q: How can you tell when a lawyer is lying? A: His lips are moving. Q: What do you have if three lawyers are buried up to their necks in cement? A: Not enough cement. Q: What's the difference between a lawyer and a vulture? A: The lawyer gets frequent flyer miles. Q: What do you get when you cross a bad politician with a crooked lawyer? A: Chelsea Clinton Q: If you have a bad lawyer, why not get a new one? A: Changing lawyers is like moving to a different deck chair on the Titanic. Sorry if I got carried away, but sometimes I just can't help myself. Wink

I Can Go The Distance

Hey Bruce, how much is Ribs charging you....I just want to know if I am being ripped off Big grin. Also, read the small print...before you know it he has you buying his newsletter - books - processing fees - shipping and handling - and promises of a 2 hour Marathon time for an extra $100.00 Roll eyes
                      You're right Tim, Ribs does charge alot. Fortunately, my Adidas shoe contract pays for all that. What you mean you don't have a shoe contract or sponsorship? I did however have to give Ribs an exclusive to all my running reports and daily posts! Amy: Even though I live in SOCAL, I have been a SOX fan since 1967. Up until the last few years, it was always easy to get great tickets to Angel and Sox games. Most of the time there were more Sox fans than Angel fans at the games. However, since the Angels won the World Series, it has become harder to get tickets and Sox fans can't be as vocal. Last weekend was really brutal, getting swept. I did not see many Sox fans cheering in the stands. It is beginning to look like the Sox and Angels will meet in the playoffs. That should be a great series-GO Sox! 8.15 miles easy for me today in 1:15:41 a 9:18 pace. That was a little fast. My easy pace is suppose to be 9:30, but I felt great. Have a great day everyone. Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

Mariposai

Checking in before I head out to the airport to pick up our vagabond son who is coming from Japan. I will give in a hug, dine at a restaurant with him and then on I will drive to Seattle to meet up with my Ragnar Relay team. I got a butterfly mini skirt as a gift from a friend this morning. I think I will wear it for my first leg of the race tomorrow. I am so excited about this relay. I feel like a child on Christmas eve. The comfortable Old Sweaters rocks!!!!!!!!!! Ribs, wish you the best. I hope you are not being too ornery for them doctors and nurses. PDR, so good to see you posting! I hope all is well.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Head Procrastinator

The Saint just called with news about Ribs. They were not able to do the stent, it just was not a viable place to put one where it was needed. So it was basically the same procedure as last week and he is in recovery. Will update if there is anything to update.
                          ~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats
                            Wish the news about Ribs was better hally. Sad Keep the updates coming as you get them. After that it feels kind of lame to post my run so I am going to keep it brief. After I gave up running this morning and went up to shower, it naturally stopped raining. I gave it a few hours, it stayed stopped so I ran 6+ miles @ 8:07. I am trying to get my speed back to what it was last summer and hopefully pushing the daily runs a bit will help do that. Best wishes to all and especially Ribs today.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Renee the dog

According to DS, the neighbor came out and said loudly, “WHERE IS YOUR MOTHER?”
                              Yeah, we may be in the 21st century, but no one ever asks, "WHERE IS YOUR FATHER?" And, when they come over and your house isn't so neat and tidy, they never think, "Gee Mr. X really hasn't kept the place up very nicely." Undecided No running for me yet. Kids won't go to sleep and Mr Nono can't babysit 'till around 4 anyways. Actually, check that...one child is out cold -- other is thrashing in my bed. I may have to go sit on her! Saw the news about SR. I hope this works out OK for him.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

#artbydmcbride

Hmmm, well hopefully, just opening the artery more with the balloon thingie will improve the flow? {{hugs and good wishes>> Spareribs<hugs and good wishes}} and="" good=""></hugs and good wishes}}>

Runners run