Masters Running

40s 50s 60s+ On the Run - w/e 03/26 (Read 466 times)

I'd like to see it rain at my house.

I'd be more than happy to send you what we're getting.  It's ugly out there, and we have another system coming in tonight.  At least we have power, though.  That totally sucks about Arla's friends.

And speaking of Arla (1) GOOD LUCK THIS WEEKEND!!!  (2) I know Mark is your friend, but WTH??  There is absolutely no comparison between road running and trail running, which is why I try really hard to not get bummed out when I see people posting their paces here.  I'm glad you're keeping it in perspective, because sometimes when people make the switch, the pace difference gets to them.

The ankle is feeling mucho better.  Staying off it the last 3 days, ice, and prescrip ibu has done wonders.  Will be test-driving it tomorrow all by my lonesome . . .  in the pouring rain.  And all in the Community Forest since Karen can't run with me and I don't have a dog, and I won't run out in Trinidad alone.  44 miles in the Forest over the next two days. Dead  I think I'll be breaking my rule and taking my iPOD with me for company.

Okay - Gotta get back to work.  Later ~

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

jfa

Good Luck Arla!!

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Enjoy your race and trip, Arla.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

flatland mountaineer

Have fun Arla!   LOL on the "Boss" comment, I assume you were refering to Dessa Lou Big grin

Busy week of long days trying to beat the weather the weather so I been scarce around here, snuck in a couple of five milers and hope to get a few in the snow this morn.

Catch up with you all this wkend, looks like lots of nice pace runs.

My 15 min of fame..

http://www.agriculture.com/family/health/prevention/gotta-run_337-ar15389

pic is from the Pumpkin run 10 miler not a 10k.......

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Top 'O the World!

Fly by peaking here......

Have Fun Arla!!

Spring weather up here = mix of sun, snow &WIND!!!  several trails starting to peak out... Wink  Still lots of students up here.

Client load is a bit lighter these days...partially 'cause I plum X'd myself off part of the schedule!  makes running quite a bit easier, for some danged reason, But, it's still a might chilly at elevation & I'm ready for more Spring like temps up here! Me & Mairead had a "deer day" yest.  I think we saw the same group at least 4 times btwn our run (5+ mile loop around the mtn house) & later near the house ...actually, lots of wildlife moving about these days! Our big elk herd, which usually hangs out in a different part of the vally, has been more often much closer to my house too!

Course marshalling for a Spring Half Mary in the morning..... it begins!  Cool

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Great article, Jim!

Good luck on the course marshaling, Cindy.

26.2 miles in 6:40, plus .5 cool down walk.  I'm exhausted.  It was a tough run today, with some pretty dang decent climbing.  A little bit of sun, some hail, a lot of rain, some winds.  I screwed up on my nutrition about halfway through and couldn't get a handle on it the rest of the run.  Flirted with nausea from approximately Mile 15 on, and came close to puking twice: once when I was trying to eat a fudge-covered graham cracker, and once when I was trying to gag down a gel.  A couple of times toward the end, I suddenly got really sleepy.  Felt like I was sort of sleepwalking.  Very weird feeling.  It's happened before, but it's still weird.  Karen said she actually got hit with vertigo a couple of times.  I think it was a combo of being tired, wet, and cold.

We ran all the way down to Big Lagoon.  The climb back out to where we turned back onto the A-Line was 2.3 miles.  It's not a steep climb, it's a climb, nonetheless.  I ran the whole way out without stopping once.  I absolutely refused to stop.  I think that's what put me over the edge as far being out of balance on the nutrition, but it was worth it. Smile

Right now I'm trying to get the energy to take a shower and clean up my soaked crap.  Tomorrow: 18 miles of climbing, climbing, climbing.

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Glad you made that last 385 yards, Leslie.  Hope you get fueled back up and make the 18 without TOO much suffering.  makes my 11 feel a bit paltry.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Stump.....11 is nevr paltry.   It's just that Lesli is such a friggin' studdette that she makes things look out of proportion.  She's like the side view mirror on your car.  "Your workouts, compared to Lesli's, are larger than they appear."

Lesli....not only 26.2 but a tough one at that. And I don't think "tough" quite describes it.  Another 18 today? Shocked

Jim....nice write up.  That article will result in at least 1 othr person giving running a try. 

"Hey" to evryone.

An easy 3 miles for me yesterday afternoon. 

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

jfa

Hey folks,

Nice 11 Stumpy. Good going on the 3 Ev and I agree, Leslie makes it look easy. A marathon and then an 18 the next day?

Nice article and pic Jim!

Your deer day sounds like fun Cindy.

Sidelined for a couple of days. Buddy, on Fri evening, picked a fight with another dog and I got the worst of it. I was in the yard when 2 women and their leashed dog walked by. Buddy was not on the leash and walked over to them. Sniffed for a minute and somebody smelled bad because then they went at it. All teeth, lots of snarling, one woman got knocked down. I did exactly what they say you shouldn't. I reached in with both hands and pulled Buddy out. Either on the way in or out, the other dog chomped big time on the top of my right hand. I apologized (she was unhurt and seemed a little pleased that her dog got a piece of me) and asked if her dog had rabbies shots, which it did. Stitches and it's still swollen pretty bad. May try to go today.

Hi guys -- Not a lot of time to read or post lately, so just a quick drive by.  Did see about Joe's chewed on hand, and hope it heals up soon!  Dealing with some life stuff here with my FIL.  He's in the hospital, and doing better physically, but mentally we are very concerned that he will not be able to go back home.  Pretty stressful time as he is at times really out of touch and paranoid, then trips back to being pretty normal, and back again.  Meeting w/ a social worker tomorrow to get a feel for options.  Workouts have taken on new stress relieving meaning...so still getting some swim/bike/run in between being at the hospital.  First tri of the season in a couple of weeks, and then first tri with open water swim in mid May.  Hope to catch up with you all more soon.

Progress Trumps Pefection

Joe.....hate to hear about your dog biting incident.  Hope you heal up quick.  Buddy make it through unscathed?

Carol....sorry for the added stress of FIL.  That has to be tough to deal with.  Good luck with the tri.

an easy 6er for me this afternoon.

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Carol - Sorry to hear about your FIL.  It's hard when people we've always known to be so strong start to truly age.  Remember to take care of yourself, though.  That's as important as taking care of the ones we love.

Which brings me to Jim.  I was wondering about his dad the other day and how he was doing.

Joe - OUCH!  Dog fights are scary things.  But our instincts to stop them and protect them can get us in trouble, as well.  Take care of that hand.  And hey - how about a pic?!? Big grin

Ev - Nice running two days in a row.

Well, all your comments about my running not only cracked me up, but makes me sad to report . . . .

My run didn't pan out like it was suppose to.  I did something to the top of my foot yesterday and it  - well, it hurts.  There's a square-shaped bruise on top and it's swollen a bit.  It bothered me quite a bit yesterday during the run, like my shoes were tied too tight, but they weren't.  We got less than a mile into our run today and there was just no way I could do it.

My coach asked me if it hurt worse to pull the toes up or down (up), but I don't know why.  Haven't heard back from him yet.

I tried alternating ice and heat, but about the 3rd or 4th round of ice, it hurt like an SOB.

Sooo, tomorrow I'm first going to try to get into an orthopedist.  If that doesn't work, I'll try to get in with my regular doc.  I'm worried. Undecided

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Lesli, sorry about the foot.   But no need to worry.  See the doc, take care of the foot, when it feels all better get back out there!  And it will feel all better very soon.