Masters Running

Wednesdaily, 6.13.18 (Read 38 times)

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I do not even know any that smoke.

On my way to the start line of the Buffalo Marathon, I saw a runner smoking before he went to the line.  I'm not sure if he was doing the marathon or the half.

No run, again, tonight...just lifted some weights.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, another quick post.  5.6 miles this morning in more typical summer conditions.  After work was mostly spent getting more packing done.

Have a great night everyone!

Falconfixer

I've done the Mercedes Marathon in Birmingham (AL) a couple of times--the old course that went over Red Mountain....twice.  One year I came up behind a relay team runner for a cigar shop in Tampa.  Their baton was a large plastic cigar.  He had more "steam" around his head than the rest of us (the race is in February) and as I got closer I saw he had a lit cigar in his other hand, and he was smoking it.  Making pretty good time too.  As I passed him, I told him I was simultaneously impressed and appalled.

wildchild

Carolyn

I know plenty of runners in Colorado who smoke - just not cigarettes! 

3 quick miles around the hood this evening while dinner was in the oven.  I can't remember the last time I did such a short run - but I'm supposed to be tapering...   I'm off to Wyoming tomorrow with my friends for the race on Saturday.  Just finished packing, and it's time for bed!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

I know plenty of runners in Colorado who smoke - just not cigarettes! 

My Dad said they used to take cigarette breaks in the East Grandstand when he ran for U of Oregon in the 40's! Bowerman didn't like, it at all. I also just remembered my middle name is from my Dad's college track buddy Walt McClure. Better known as Pre's HS coach...

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

evanflein

I didn't post yesterday, apparently. Just not enough hours in the day. I ran 5.5 miles after work yesterday, ending at DH's office. The run went pretty well, started out at 9 m/m pace, ended in the 8:20's. Not sure why that first mile is always so slow (the effort felt harder than a 9 minute mile!).

Tonight I got out kind of late for a longer mid-week run, but that's just how the day went. 8.1 miles tonight at a somewhat faster pace than yesterday but my legs kind of gave out after mile 5. After that it was a struggle with a couple of rest stops that annoyed me. At least we finally had a nice day today. It's been a long time. So far, this summer (and yes, this is our summer) has sucked.

Holly, so sorry to hear about your dad. It's good that he's reached out to you now though, so I hope you guys can make the most of it.

Twocat, just don't know what to say about your friend dying in his sleep. While that's probably the way all of us want to go, it sounds like it was way too soon. Hope your back is better.

Tammy, bummer about your DH's kidney stones. That doesn't sound like any fun.

I frequently see guys riding a bike with a cigarette. Always seems so weird.

Surly, I bet your achilles would heal up a lot faster if you stayed off it. Just sayin'.

Ok, that's enough for now. Time to go water some stuff before heading to bed.

SteveP

Steve--how many grandkids is that now?

This will be # 5!!

I love the kudos to the Golden Knights.

Quickadder, Regarding the C&D: "be thankful you don't get all the government you pay for."

he should be passing about 20 small stones over the next several days. 

Yikes!!

Anyway, a rookie salesperson was asking about 12"x12"x12" box of vinyl siding accessories that were more than a week late. It's put our customer in a bind. The salesman asked for help. He sat  in on the conversation with the supplier who didn't know why the item hadn't shipped. We arranged to have it delivered next day air directly to the (new) customer's job site and to bill my department for the additional $125.00 shipping. That's about 0.5% of the value of dead inventory I've been able to return since the beginning of the year so I have a little wiggle room. I sent a letter (along with documentation) to the supplier's manager asking them to absorb the shipping fee ( I hope they do - but I'm not worried about it). Then I sent a letter to our acting managers asking for forgiveness. IMHO, the only thing I did wrong was apologise for something I know I would do again.

Another long time customer came into my pig sty of an office and introduced himself. He said he as in a jam and was told I may be able to help. He was ready to do a handstand when he was taken care of. Then he lamented how he was going to a competitor for a "need it now" interior door that almost kind of matches what he normally orders. I told him that I have a door in clearance that exactly matches the style he normally gets. However, the craftsmanship is a large step above what he's been using. I'd sell it to him for one dollar less than the big box store with the understanding that it was a onetime price and on the condition that he looked at how the door was built. While he was securing his load, I put air in a low tire. His sales person suggested that I go into sales again. When I leave the office, I don't carry blue prints home for work over the weekend.

SteveP