Masters Running

Tooseday, 10.4.16 (Read 32 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

I'm glad you took it easy yesterday, Holly. And I like your friend's text.

Nice 3-miler, RCG. Is talking about public education like talking about politics?

Nice 5K, rest day, and then 8-miler, LaT.

Good luck with the chiro and massage, Dave. I hope they do good things for your back.

Good 17-miler with bridges, Aamos. Rachel Lee sounds like quite a racer/person. I hope she does well in the Kona Ironman.

Great job (and your DW too) in the Ridgefield Half, TwoCat. Sorry, but your pics disappeared. Is it something we said/did?

Sorry about Emma-the-cat's problems, Evanflein. I'm sure she's trying to do the right thing.

Good for you for taking overnight care of your DD, Enke, and for getting a nap later.

I told one of the people on my 5K race committee that I'm going to retire as RD in 2 years. I will have done the job for 20 years, and they should have some fresh blood in the chair by that point. She said it was my right, but...  (But it is the right thing to do.)

I slept great till 1:30 this morning, then not so great after that. So I got up at 3:40 and headed out for a workout. 54F temps with almost solid cloud cover and some serious wind from the NE. 6.5 miles, mostly racewalking, but also with some running mixed in so I could see what you all do! Strange stuff, that running. Nice workout.

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

63F

Big group out this morning!  I warned them they were NOT to walk with me during my walk breaks. Only Sonya broke the rule (she did catch up with the front group after I said, "Be gone")

They went for 6 miles. I finished 4 running miles with walk breaks between each mile. I should have tried Jay's race-walking but, I just walked regularly. Meanwhile, Jay did some running with his RW.

Erika. Gross. Hope the cat is feeling better.

La T, good to see you, too!  And your sublimnal shout out to Hally was effective.

I am happy I got to see the lovely MrsTwoCat and the ZombieTwoCat before the photographic evidence vaporized.

I am considering gathering my hurricane supplies soon. I hope and pray Haiti survives this storm with the ironic name...considering how someone is so anti-rain...

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Head Procrastinator

<waving at RCG>

I do lurk here but find it too intimidating to have to recap to each person so rarely post.

Jay, you definitely deserve to ditch the RD job after 20 years!

Twocat, you should show up at Hartford to spectate and or at LaT's on Sunday!

<back to lurking>

~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats

I do lurk here but find it too intimidating to have to recap to each person so rarely post.

Don't worry about it, Hally.  That's why we have Jay!!  And not only do I not recap everything, I find it hard just to get in here on a consistent basis.  We know you love us, so come out of lurk-dom and just say "No!" to recapping!! 

6 very slow miles this a.m. in perfect conditions.  I love fall, it's crisp in the morning but not too bad, and so long as you keep moving you stay warm.  With the low HR training, it took about 15 longer than normal for the route I ran.  Bleck!  Patience, patience, patience . . . .

Enjoy the rest of your day ~

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Sayhey! MM#130

Congrats on a greta run, TC!!

Say, Jay's letting us know...in 2 years, so in 2018?  So we should think about a meet-up then at the Seacoast Half??  Just putting it out there...

My usual 6, in a nice breezy morning, although I fear the breeze is a harbinger of winds to come.  We aren't in the path of Matthew, but close enough that we're bound to feel the edges.

A running buddy here left Cuba with her family when she was 4.  She's now thinking of going back in 2017 for the marathon, when she'll be 54.  She says she was not happy about leaving, and her family was shushing her as they were afraid soldiers would take her, since she was crying she didn't want to go and that would be enough to detain her. She's running Chicago, will meet up with her brother (from NJ) there, have a chat.  IF she goes, I might be interested.....

Billy Collins on the DR show!

grins,

A

Image result for billy collins poems

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

too intimidating to have to recap to each person so rarely post.

hally - intimidating is when your running isn’t really like running anymore
              but you still post on a running forum and go to running meet-ups as if you’re still running.
               jay - retirement isn’t all it’s cracked up to be
              so don’t be afraid to don’t..

After doing as well in Sunday’s Run-with-the-Fishes 5K as in the last two years, I was kind of secretly hoping this weekend’s sixth Portland Marathon since 1990 might reflect something close to last year’s 6:17 but, at this morning’s unsunshiny, sloggy, five-mile jog-a-mute pace, the generous pacing wrist bands they have for up to eight hours down there aren’t even going to be enough.  oh well.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

On my pictures from yesterday, the problem seems to be Google's use of URLs. Somehow the URL for the pictures changed and they did not show up any longer. I have no idea why that happened.

hally I suspect the RA gang will have a great time in Hartford and then at La Tortuga's post race. The race day weather looks really good as of now.

As for today, I ran 8. Cloudy morning. But the sun is finally breaking through. I have not seen it in some time! Clouds and drizzle day after day.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

The pictures are there now, twocat.  I have to agree with you about them but you look like you are winning! I don't take very good candid race photos either.

Hally, no trouble not doing the recap thing. It is definitely not a requirement or this would get plenty long. Have fun at the East coast meet-up.

I am fairly good at this taper thing, just 4 miles at a slow pace last night.  At this point nothing will really make a difference in my time.  I am not looking forward to that hill in miles 2-3 of the half.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - you have definitely given them a lot.  You deserve a break.

Erika - yuck, but sometimes that is what having pets puts us through.

Hally - Hi!

Amy - I love that!

Starr - the hill looks big, but if you look carefully, you will see it is only 115 feet, rising over the course of 3 miles, so it shouldn't be bad.

5 miles for me today in 54 degrees.  I almost felt like a runner again.  Or at least a jogger.  

I got a hair cut last night and took off about 4".  My head now feels bizarrely light.  Maybe there's nothing in there after all....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I got a hair cut last night and took off about 4".  

I'll gladly take that 4" Holly. This looking like a tired old man was not what I had in mind when I got my hair buzzed off. What was I thinking?!

Way to mix it up this morning Jay. And it sounds like the wind that was here the last week or so has made its way east.

You're a good person, RCG.

I'd love to hear more about your low heart rate training Leslie. Is there a website you use, or is this all coming from your trainer? Share please?

Cuba has been on my bucket list forever Aamos. I'd love to go but do I have to run a marathon?

Hi Tet! Hi Hally!

Enjoy your taper, Starr. I'm getting excited for all of the Portland runners and can't wait to see all of the pictures and read about the RA meet-up.

I walked/ran 5 miles yesterday, but when my alarm went off and I tried to swing my legs over the side of the bed, it was hard to walk, much less run. I'm more sore today than I was yesterday. I see a deep tissue massage in my future. Tried my foam roller, but that didn't touch the bad spots.

Our cook went out last week with a bad back/sciatic thing. So I got to step in and take her place this morning. The food is prepackaged and/or frozen so it's simply a matter of making sure everything is ready in time. But, I've never prepared enough tacos, refried beans and corn for 3 elementary schools! Then I stayed and did my normal job. 8 hours on your feet is a long time these days, especially 2 days after a Tough Mudder. I see a nap in my future...

I'd love to hear more about your low heart rate training Leslie. Is there a website you use, or is this all coming from your trainer? Share please?

JLynne - I did it when I first started running and I don't know why I stopped because I think the end results are hugely beneficial . . . or will be once I get back in to the swing of things.  I'm going back to it because I know it works and I've stalled in my running performance.  Combined with a lower carb intake, it can also help you lose fat. About 2 years ago I reduced my carb intake dramatically.  I'm not doing the whole "no grain ever" thing, but I have continued to cut back on things like bread, potatoes, pasta, rice, etc., as I've found it's the only way I can keep weight off.

The other thing about the LR training is that I don't feel beat up after my runs.  The hard part is how slow I am having to go right now, how much I'm having to walk - even the slighest incline.  It's taking a lot  of patience.  When I get back from vacation, I'm going to do the MAF test so I can objectively judge my improvement.

But here's some good information:

180 Formula by Phil Maffetone

Want Speed? Slow Down

and from our very own RunningAhead:

Frequently Asked Questions About Low Heart Rate Training

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

I did a nice run for a rainy Tuesday - 8 miles of trails and gravel paths.  I felt good for all of it, so I'm very happy about that.  Even threw in some striders.  Like Leslie, I have definitely been going slower at times than I want, but it's beginning to pay off.  Consistency.  And like Holly, I finally felt like a runner today, as 8 miles did not seem like a big deal, the way it would have a month ago.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

wildchild

Carolyn

Yesterday I didn't see 2cat's pictures, but I can see them today!  Your DW looks great, but your pic is kind of scary!     Zombies would leave you alone, I think!

I had a fun 12 mile trail run with a friend today.  We had a lot to catch up on, so the time flew by!  She ran the Grand Canyon rim to rim to rim last week, over 2 days, and I wanted to hear all about it!  And I haven't seen her since she worked an aid station at a 100 miler with me and my DD and SIL2B, so she wanted to hear all about the wedding.   She registered for the 50k I'm doing in 2 weeks, so I'll see her again soon.

Amy, I love the poem about tying a poem to a chair and torturing a confession out of it!  That's why I never liked English class, even though I love to read - I never liked analyzing books and  poems.

I'm excited for those of you attending the east and west coast RA gatherings!  Post pictures!  Starr, that elevation profile sure looks flat compared to where I run!  Hope you  have fun!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

hally I suspect the RA gang will have a great time in Hartford and then at La Tortuga's post race. The race day weather looks really good as of now.

Thanks for starting us out Jay!

RCG – another nurse against tape worms here

Hally – love my typo from yesterday

Amy – 2018 Seacoast, but we need to sign up early, as this race sells out. That is because this race has an amazing RD – just saying.

Okay – 3.5 easy miles while doing laundry

Twocat – thanks for the good weather prediction – I was afraid to look.

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Starr - the hill looks big, but if you look carefully, you will see it is only 115 feet, rising over the course of 3 miles, so it shouldn't be bad....

Holly - good job
                                Actually, since it’s as daunting as Rosa Hill in Yakima and the beloved Galer-Madison combo of the Seattle Marathon for steep ascents in the latter miles of otherwise regular marathons, no need to tell anyone yet about the half-mile, nearly 200' climb up to the St. John’s Suspension Bridge at mile 17.  Kind of thrilling, though, to see it gradually coming into view while running down several uninspiring miles of the four-lane St. Helens Highway, it’s my favorite part, next to the corresponding descent from miles 22-24 on the way to the finish.
                                ps - I’m kind of with jeanne,
                                why would you cut your hair?
                                It’s not the Olympics, . . . is it?
                                Are you sandbagging or are you
                                and mikeE repaired and ready-to-go?

•  

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)