Masters Running

A Cold Day in Hell (Read 345 times)

Hell, Michigan, that is (and please -- no jokes about how that could describe most of the state these days!). It was the "Run Thru Hell on Halloween 10K/5K", being run as a benefit for one of the organizers of a popular race that was held here every summer up until she became quite ill a couple years ago. I had had the original race on my to-do list, so this was a chance to run at least part of the route, which had a reputation for being quite tough. But instead of the summer H&H, we had temps barely above freezing, if that.

As a benefit, I'd say it was a rousing success. Everything for the race itself had been donated, right down to the porta-johns, so with 3000 runners at $20 each it was a real windfall. And the best part was that we all sang "Happy Birthday" to Delores just before the start, on her 80th birthday!

After picking up my shirt & bib, I went back and sat in my car to warm up. My phone rang and it was MarkGuy, who was also entered. It turned out we were parked only about 50 yards apart, so he walked over and we spent the time before the race talking running and other stuff -- a nice way to pass some time.

The race is run on rural dirt roads, meaning narrow, high-crowned, and shoulderless. The roads are comfortably wide enough for about 6 people across, so you can imagine what it was like at the start with 3000 runners squeezing in. It was compounded by the 5K runners, many of whom were wearing costumes and running in groups that blocked half the road at a time. I ran right off into the ditch a couple of times to get around people, many of whom were already slowing down on the first big hill.

Fortunately, at about 3/4 of a mile the 10K and 5K routes split, and things opened up from there. I also took note of the fact that that first 3/4 mile was almost all uphill, so I was already thinking about the finishing segment on the out-and-back course. There's not much more to remark on except that the course was pretty much always going either up or down, but nothing too steep, and I really feel like I'm doing much better on hills these days.

The finish, as I expected, was a real blast. I let it out going down the last couple of hills and saw a pace in the mid-7s for the first time in many years. I finished in 55:32 for an 8:58 average, but with a 10-minute 1st mile I'd say that I ran some serious negative splits! As is par lately, I finished in the top half overall and top third AG. This was only my second running event of the year (!), and a good way to close out the season

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

evanflein

Hey Doug! Nice to see you again! Forum Slacker, indeed. This race sounds like more of a social event/fundraiser than anything real "racy" but maybe the really fast runners were at the leading edge? Dave59 did this one, too, and commented on the crowds.

Very cool to hear about MarkGuy, another serious forum slacker (but last seen on KR, right).

Marathon Maniac #957

Doug - very nice racing, especailly since it's only your second race of the year!  Sounds similar to our Turkey Trot, that has 3,000-5,000 people on a two-lane road, out and back.  Not a race you can seriously race (unless you line up in the front), but lots of fun to run.  It's VERY nice to see you back here....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Great job Doug!   I wanted to do this one so badly - but it is too far to drive just for the "run of it" and having puppy duty, it just wasn't meant to be.   You are running very well!!   Retirement must agree with the legs!  Big grin

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
          It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Retirement must agree with the legs!  Big grin

Retirement agrees with everything about me! :-)

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Gotta love those mid 7s.  Top third of AG ain't bad either.  Thanks for the report.

Good running, roch, and all for a good cause.  It's neat you got to see Markguy.  I don't know if you saw the post but dave59 was there, too.  He posted a picture showing how mobbed up that narrow road/trail was.  You sure did well in spite of the crowds.  Congrats.

TomS

Dave59

Nice run.  I was one of those 5k people, but not in a costume.  (And things never did "open up" for us much in the 5k.)  I had those same thoughts about the finish being downhill. Smile  I run so few hills, my quads were hurting the next day. Roll eyes

....W0W........a 5-mile-kick on a 10-k race//////.......

..........that's some pretty serious running roch.......

nice racing

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

SteveP

Yikes!! it sounds like a stampede gone to Hell. Being a Michiganian runner, that race has been a pipe dream. You make it sound scarey...in a fun kinda way.

SteveP

jtv

Doug - glad to hear you had a good run in Hell.  Brings back memories.  We had family friends growing up that lived in Hell, so I spent much time there.  I had also run the original race many years ago.  I do remember that uphill/downhill.

Good job.    That sounds like a great fund raiser with a great tradition.   You certainly had a great kick and was rewarded with a nice finish.

I actually have been through Hell one time while speaking in the Flint area.

Thanks for the report.

Vista