Masters Running

Surf City Marathon - episode 12 in the Perils of Ilene (Read 391 times)

arf

MM #405

You poor kid Sad, re: the stomach issues). I felt like I was going to hurl the last few miles of my last marathon too, but I believe the heat was the culprit, not the food. Dont'cha hate car keys? I remember locking my car up at a marathon start and placing the key in my shorts pocket. I then went to the porta-pottie, pulled down my shorts and out flew the key, right into the toilet. Yeah...that was a bad day. Nice to help your friend finish his very first marathon and those are the COOLEST medals I've ever seen! You GO girl! arf
      Definitely cool medals, Ilene! Too bad about the stomach issues, but nice to finish the race with your friend. I think it's a very good thing you avoided the meat loaf Tongue

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Way to tough one out! If every race was the same we would all get bored. The next ones gonna feel great. Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Ilene, so sorry you had stomach issues. Glad you got to meet up with Lopez and othrs. Also you got to see your brother and mother. I love meatloaf. Yeh, very cool medal.
          Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Renee the dog

Thank goodness they had such a gorgeous medal to reward you at the end! It would have just been horrible to gut it out and be handed a piece of crap (sorry) for your supreme effort.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Head Procrastinator

Aha, Here's the RR everyone was talking about! Uh, where's the fashion report missy? Wink And it cracks me up no end that they have to name a store Pizza By the Slice.Big grin
              ~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Ilene... first off..CONGRATULATIONS on #12. That's hugh!! Second... that really is a nice medal and the picture of them on the beach is really great! All the RA talk about Immodium the week before had nothing to do with it.. right? Smile Nice job "guttin it out" Big grin Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

After so many record-shattering PR last fall, I was kind of afraid to read this and see new PR`s at every distance along the way too. Now we can enjoy each and every RR for the rest of the year as you pick them off one-by-one, especially the elusive half mary. Not that I`m the kind of person who would ever get jealous or anything like that but did he get to run all 26.2 miles with you?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

#artbydmcbride

No tetsujin209, he was only with me to about mile 16. Smile

Runners run

Way to go, Ilene. And what a cool finisher's medal! Now about the pregame warm-up next time. . . . Evil grin

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

One of the reasons marathons have that special draw for us is that there are endless opportunities for surprise endings. And beginnings. And middles. Each one is like a snowflake (or grain of sand for those of you in warm climes near the beach). But the ability to stick with it through all the surprises makes the marathoner a unique athlete. I'm sorry that your surprises were somewhat unpleasant this time around, but you did get a very cool medal and you got to hang out with srlopez. Number 13 will be a lucky one. I'm sure of it.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Ilene, How awful to get hit with a bad stomach problem in a marathon. You had a rough day before the race too. That's great you got to see the famous and wonderful srlopez! I missed seeing him in Maui because I didn't feel so good after my race there. Here's to a lucky 13th (marathon). You're gonna be OK in Seattle Smile.
                          huskydon

Ilene, So sorry to hear about your stomach issues, and other trevails the day before. But despite it all, you persevered and finished your 12th marathon. A big congratulations to ya!! It was great that you could meet up with and converse with the world famous srlopez as well. Hope our paths will cross again soon!
                            xor

I missed seeing him in Maui because I didn't feel so good after my race there.
                              Well, based on this thread, that seems to be the effect I have on lots of people. Undecided

Llene, Sorry about the bad experience, Sh*t happens. That is a pretty pimped out sweet looking medal though! Shocked I had a very bad marathon experience in Providence. They say that amount of suffering builds character, but my DW says you can't build anything on a cracked foundation...I never understood what she meant by this, I'm sure its some running metaphor. Big grin Karl