Masters Running

Sun Aug 10th Daily Runs (Read 444 times)

dg.

Morning everybody. Smile Morning Roy! very nice run! Mainerunnah.... at least, don't dilly dally daily. Wink. I hope it dries out for you soon. That can get depressing. Holly, yay! but, be careful. You've really pushed it the last couple of days. 2 days in a row. & what happened to the 7/ mix yesterday. where'd 8 come from?? Hey. I stopped & stretched a couple of times during my run today. I never do that. I wonder if it's a good thing. Seemed to help a little. I agree with Ribs. do be careful. hogs are heavy. Wink Ribs, it's great to have you here. Did you say hills yesterday? Be careful. (you said it's our job to stay on your case.) Tramps, how beautiful. DickyG. um. glad you're enjoying the Olympics. Roll eyes PDR it is nice that you're back. Glad you had a break. just 2 things I remember from yesterday.. haven't finished that thread yet. huge < large="" obnoxious="" font="" /> WTG's for Erika & Enke! another piercingly beautiful day today. wish I could have taken a few pictures. there's this narrow path off the path, nice because it's dirt.. it's closer to the river. the wildflowers & especially the grassed are now taller than I am, they were blowing in the wind. The sun highlighted the flowers/seed heads, & the river sparkled. I was so glad I went!! Almost didn't, have been sick for a few days, especially yesterday. Spent 2 hours just flat, not even reading. dizzy this morning, but anyway, my run worked out well. 6.05 miles, 164 ahr, 177 max. 10:20 average pace. polar says 5:05 max. could that be? I did push it once to pass some people when there were bikes coming the other way. not a pain free run, but am hoping it's ok. stretched a lot after. & remembered to ice! I take it with me, then usually get home & I've forgotten to use it. as tw would say, enjoy the gift.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

"according to the NBC crew, what is the only UN-member country with different designs on each side of the national flag? " I'm pretty sure it is Paraguay , my wife and I were watching the parade of country's and I seem to remember them commenting on that one, (something about the seal of the treasury department on one side).
      - maybe someone knows why the treasury was selected, . . . I like the big yellow lion in it. day 15 of planned 20-day post White River 50, . . . er, . 31.7 taper dedicated to The Great One's heartening account before upcoming planned weekend double tri/mary. Holly - take advantage of the summer and add a swim for a wet brick.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly, may I make a suggestion? You are probably right on the brink of being able to run now and this is the time that many people make mistakes. Why not warm up with a 1/2 to one mile walk, then move to an easy jog. Hold the hog no longer than 3 miles. This will ease you back into running more carefully.
        This sounds like very good advice, but I'm not sure I can carry a pig that far...have you seen how big hogs are?..... Big grin On a more serious note, I will try this on Tuesday (Monday is a non-running day). How long do you think before I can resume longer mileage safely? Or should I just play it by ear? I ran/walked 8 miles yesterday (8 min run/2 min walk segments), with seemingly no after effects, but I worry about the same thing - how quickly to move back to higher mileage without re-injuring.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

20 miles @ 8:03 pace yada,yada,yada...light drizzle for the first 3 miles then thank heavens it stopped... Holly-Better hogs than logs...
          Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip

I Can Go The Distance

Recovery day for me today. Went out at 6 am, IRC today. I did 4 very slow miles in 42:33 (10:39 pace). My legs felt a bit stiff when I first started out, but once I was through the first mile they were fine. My mileage for the week was 54 miles, which is a new weekly PR. I don't think I will increase it more than that for the rest of the year. Have a great day everyone. Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Holly.. you wrote " For the first time in weeks, I feel like I might be ready for some normal, albeit slow, running. Woohoo!! " Right on schedule!! Take SR's advice, it's right on! I was so looking forward to a nice low humidity run today. And it was... until the torrential rain during miles 13-15. There must be an omen because when I finished the 20.5 miles my weekly mileage is 66.6 miles. At least the lightning didn't hit me Big grin 20.5 miles in 2:58:07 (8:40 pace) with the last 2 miles REALLY hard... all hills like last week. All marathon course route (miles 10-20 repeated). Hungry and tired now.... Easier week coming up.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

The Jogger

Debbie, thats a great run and pace for the HR aswell Smile Roy
                dg.

Thanks Roy Smile Perch, wow. I just noticed that while I read about your runs I sit here shaking my head. (the "in wonder" kind)
                  evanflein

Hmmm, Spareribs has Holly holding hogs. Wow, sure glad he doesn't give that advice to everyone, I'd have no idea where to get one! Seriously Holly, you're doing great but again you're asking someone else when you can increase your mileage. You already ARE increasing your mileage, and the one you should be asking is you (and your owie). Take it slow, I'd think not increasing two days in a row, and warm up carefully beforehand. And watch out for those hogs. Mainerunnah, oh boy can I relate. But we haven't been able to get near our mower in days... I'm so glad it didn't rain for the half marathon yesterday but it did rain all afternoon and pretty steadily all night. It's still raining, but lightly. My garden is full of big beautiful leaves, but very little actual produce. Coop. Extension says that's because all the rain is leaching the potassium from the soil. So, I need to go find a high-K fertilizer for some foliar application... but then they went on to say do it when it's not raining or it'll just wash off before the plants can absorb it. Great. That leads me back to the original problem... it won't stop raining!! Steve, way to go on that long run. My last long run is always done on the Equinox course... miles 1 to 11, the on the way back down I go around campus a bit to finish the last half mile or so on the actual finish part. Excellent workout, and I usually need the three week taper to recover from it! Thanks, Deb. Glad you're feeling better. Nice run... tall grass! Karin, you're lucky to have those J's to run with. If there's one thing I'm starting to think my running lacks, it's a partner. I've always liked running alone, but lately I've had the chance to run with someone sometimes and it's been nice. Finding someone my pace is hard... they're mostly really slow or super fast. Does your husband do the cooking at home? That's what I call my RLF (run-limiting-factor) is that I do the majority of the cooking and if I run long after work, then dinner is late. Would be nice to not worry about that AND have something besides grilled cheese or scrambled eggs for dinner. Hey, the sun is shining thru the clouds! And it's still raining a bit. Hmmm, always kind of cool to see that, but I'd prefer it if the rain stopped... Will try for a run later but tired of being wet.
                      Holly , it sounds like you are making the turn. Big grin Tim, Relaxing and not over thinking your stride is hard to do when it hurts but usually will feel better in the end. Its always the next morning before I really know how I feel. Good luck and stay positive. Perch and Lyden, Always impressive but you two are both in the groove and have been for a longtime. 17 Miles for me today in 2:40:00 or 9:25 pace. This was the same route as last week but I decided to run it backwards because it felt like I was always running uphill. Well what goes up must go up in both directions. It was just as hilly that way just at different spots. As a matter of fact I came in at exactly the same time as last week . Roll eyes Run your route forwards or backwards its all good Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Tramps

Nice running, people! Dicky—Yeah, I know they can be a nuisance but they are fine-looking looking animals as they gracefully bound at an impressive speed. Roy—deer won’t bother you. They’re quite skittish. However, they do have quite sharp hooves and will lash out if they are downed and injured by a car or hunter. Don’t walk up to a downed deer without making certain it is dead. Holly--I believe “holding the hog” is a popular training technique used by many elite runners. Throughout Asia, especially, children begin this training regimen at a young age with smaller porcine, as illustrated here. Either that or Ribs is feeling better and is pulling your leg. (That “typo” was a bit too convenient.) Wink

Be safe. Be kind.

Renee the dog

Out for 5 easy miles just now. Woke up with my alarm at 5:30 a.m. with a full night's sleep and was dead-dog tired. So, I postponed until now. Glad I did as it was very pleasant. Mr Nono and I are in detente. Smile We're able to talk and laugh about how difficult our life together can be sometimes. Today's daily just read very hilariously for me -- thanks to all for the laughs! Dromedary, I smiled at your comments in yesterday's daily. Each in our family of 4 was born in a different country (3 of us are Chinese, I am the "not"). So, we cheered for each country that represents the 4 of us. But we root for the U.S.A., as well as anyone else who captures our hearts, when the games are on. Big grin

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

evanflein

11 miles and I didn't get wet! Except sweaty... even with the temps only 50F, the sun did come out after about 3 miles and there was a little breeze, but it seemed to play with the tops of the trees and left me alone for the most part. Got me thinking I may do some outside work today! Goal today was easy pace, but the average was 8:21, and that's with 8:26, 8:40 and 8:30 being the last three miles. Legs felt good, not sore at all. Foot was not happy but that's just too bad. Whenever I'm not sore at all after a race, I always wonder if I didn't work hard enough at it.
                              Sundays run - 12.05 miles - 1:32:46 (7:42) Avg HR 135 Max HR 148 - 66 Degrees, very foggy and humid but at least it didn't rain. Big grin I finally remembered to set my auto lap on the Garmin that I just got back as a replacement. It was just two of us today. A nice warmup mile and then we eased into a pretty good prossion run, that last mile is a cool down ... believe it or not. It's amazing how 7:27 could feel easy after running 7:10! 8:41 - 8:11 - 8:11 - 7:55 - 7:48 - 7:30 - 7:2 - 7 - 7:20 - 7:27 - 7:22 - 7:10 - 7:27 - :12. This week will be a mini-taper week for me with a goal 5K coming up on Saturday. And I finally got the back field mowed. It's wet but I figured I better mow it since they are calling for 2 + inches of rain over the next 24 - 36 hours here...Ughhh!! Angry
                                Woke up late so my wife made it a " Honey Do " day. Won't make that mistake again. Have to get off now and finish supper. I know what a 3 x 400 - 600 - 400 - 200 is, not that I could do it, but whats a spatula ?? Shocked