Masters Running

Thursday's Daily, 1.14.16 (Read 34 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

For all you fashionistas who are worried about matching running gear (and undergear), I offer that if you go out at J o'clock, it doesn't really matter what you wear - not here, in the land of few streetlights and even fewer cars that briefly shine their headlights on your garments, in which case, the louder and more visible, the better.

Yes, DW was 64 yesterday. That Beatles song was also the recessional at our wedding 37+ years ago, so we're glad now that we've both had the chance to answer the question. Due to my having meetings almost every evening this week, we've had to put off the celebratory dinner at a favorite restaurant until tomorrow evening, but that just extends the celebration. Happy birthday to all the other celebrants this week!

Nice snoozing yesterday, Aamos. Good workout, Jlynn. Good job of talking yourself into a run, Leslie. I hope you got to the Y, Starr. Welcome back, Dave - I'm glad the funny stuff is funny again. I'm glad you matched yesterday, Moebo. Nice neighborhood run, WC - I'm glad your legs are back to normal. Good TM intervals, Holly. If you want to get up earlier, I can call you... I'm glad you're enjoying the 'warmer' weather, Evanflein, but I'm sorry about the exhausting air. Mariposai, I cringe when I read about your work and meeting schedule - it's a good thing you have such a positive attitude. Funny tale about you, DD, the dog and Stella, Tet!

I woke up early, so I got out early this morning for 6 and a quarter RW miles in 17F temps under mostly clear skies, and with a westerly breeze that was cooling, but not as fierce as yesterday's wind.

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Tet, thanks for the smile. Hi Jay and all to follow.  Welcome back Dave, sorry you won't come to Green Bay (does that mean the weather will be perfect?).

Moebo, you crack me up too, that story yesterday was hilarious! I only try to match my undergarments when they show through,,, don’t want to end with my photo in a magazine in the “Don’t” column.  I did grab the wrong sports bra yesterday and could only run half a mile before I just had to stop, if you know what I mean.  Your story reminded me of a run where I really needed to get home and now!  Just then a car stopped me for directions, ack! Being Minnesota nice I actually stopped to tell them how to get to the person’s house instead of on a wild goose chase.

Erika, glad that you are having reasonable temperatures. Yes, do run away from that nasty diesel smell. I hate that and try to hold my breath when a bus goes by. It is 19° already today, warm enough that I could have some customer’s electricity shut off to get them to pay their bill.  We will turn it back on later today before it gets cold again. High of 36° today, yippee!  I signed up for a group (women only) weight training session at 4:30 today then  will run from the Y after that (if I remember all of my paraphernalia).

Yesterday at lunch I did manage to run that half mile then hopped on a bike for 5 miles. I didn’t even look that sweaty so I think I may do that again. Rather than using the weather and cold as an excuse, I have been making plans this week and sticking to them. The YMCA has a 12 week challenge to Swim/Bike/Run/Walk 340 miles so I gave them my $20 yesterday. Now to stay on track for 28.33 miles a week.  I am actually jealous that MrStarr can go to the Y whenever he pleases. He’s self-employed and mostly home these days. He actually had a job interview for a part-time job that pays quite well. It would be nice to be debt free when I retire in 2 years, we will see….

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Sayhey! MM#130

We had an interminable phone training ordeal (they occur about once a month) wherein our Judicial teams from all over the state are connected via phones and power points in our respective conference rooms and I thought I was going to lose my mind b/c people forget to hit mute after they ask a question so you can hear their chitter chatter until they wake up.......

ARGH.

So glad I ran this am, as it gave me something to think about at the above.  6 crisp miles in long sleeves AND long pants.

Good attitude, Starr!

Thanks for the fill-in Jay--hope that celebration is superb.

(O, and I don't worry about matching [and did post a photo on twitter, Jlynne] but I don't want to post here and give Ribs a fainting spell.

Well, now I'm behind b/c of above foolishness.

Love Thursday!!

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Aamos - Reminds of a commercial (but I can't think for what) where they're on a phone conference, the boss is on the other end of the line, and one of the employees says something negative about the meeting thinking the phone is on mute.  

Starr - I told The Hub about your cinnamon pickles.  He loves dill pickles (LOVES) and thought the cinnamon ones sound pretty darn good.

6 miles in the predawn hours with 4 x 1/4 mile that I was supposed to run 2:00 or faster.  I am not fast by any stretch of the imagination, so I had to run pretty hard to do that.  I know at least 3 were 2:00 or better, but I was too winded to look at the 3rd one to see how it went.  Whenever I do speed work, I wonder if I look like I'm suffering as much as I really am . . . 

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Having been reading the daily but so little time to post.  Funny story about the cat, Tet.

I ran yesterday morning - it was raining pretty hard but almost 50F, so I had to do it.  4.3 miles around the neighbourhood (in the dark) and it was great!  Well, my shoes were pretty wet but still glad I got out there.  Normally I would just be too tired and stay under my pile of warm blankets.  This may have been my first weekday morning run since I started the new job.  I'm finally starting to feel adjusted to the longer work hours and little free time at night.

I work with a lot of younger people (mostly in their 20s and 30s) and one of them made a derogatory comment about a mid 50s woman that was technically clued out at their last job.  I didn't want to mention I'll be such a creature in a year or two!

Gigi arrives today!  I'm psyched to start bike-commuting to work a few days a week.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

It is a good thing I'm taking a couple weeks off from running...I am just swamped with stuff to get done...both at work and at home.

A couple weeks ago, my daughter asked if I could help my grandson build a pinewood derby car.  Ryan and Eric both went through Cub Scouts, so, a few years ago, I went through 8 years in a row of having to build pinewood derby cars...a couple of those years 2.  And, I can't just build a simple wooden car with 4 wheels attached...oh, no...I have to go all out...and the pressure that I always felt was rediculous.  But every year, our cars won at least 1 award for Best Looking Car or Fastest Looking Car or Best Paint Job....or a combination of them.  I was so relieved to be done with all of that....and, now...I'm building another one and that same pressure is back and just as strong.  I went over to their house, last night, to get started, thinking I only had until next weekend to get it done...which really isn't enough time with everything else I have going.  So, I was really relieved when my daughter informed me that I actually have another whole week before it is due.   Anyway...my grandson thought he was pretty cool to be using the jig saw to cut out the first couple of pieces...we have a long way to go.

Speaking of going--I gotta go!  See ya!

TammyinGP

oh Tet - your stories are priceless. 

I admit that many times I will intentionally mismatch my running gear. I don't want to look like a running fashionista, so I might combine colors that clearly were never meant to be worn together.

I wasn't able to give notice to my job today. I thought for sure David picking jersey numbers of his favorite Hawks would be lucky. Heck we all know how lucky those Hawks got last week after all! 

Tammy

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Hello everybody!

It is a good thing I'm taking a couple weeks off from running...I am just swamped with stuff to get done...both at work and at home.

A couple weeks ago, my daughter asked if I could help my grandson build a pinewood derby car.  Ryan and Eric both went through Cub Scouts, so, a few years ago, I went through 8 years in a row of having to build pinewood derby cars...a couple of those years 2.  And, I can't just build a simple wooden car with 4 wheels attached...oh, no...I have to go all out...and the pressure that I always felt was rediculous.  But every year, our cars won at least 1 award for Best Looking Car or Fastest Looking Car or Best Paint Job....or a combination of them.  I was so relieved to be done with all of that....and, now...I'm building another one and that same pressure is back and just as strong.  I went over to their house, last night, to get started, thinking I only had until next weekend to get it done...which really isn't enough time with everything else I have going.  So, I was really relieved when my daughter informed me that I actually have another whole week before it is due.   Anyway...my grandson thought he was pretty cool to be using the jig saw to cut out the first couple of pieces...we have a long way to go.

Speaking of going--I gotta go!  See ya!

Good thing you're not overly competitive, Mike.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

36F

6.09 miles

56:45

Bob, Bill, Ralph, Sonya, Carol, and I went out for a run around CW and outskirts. We crossed the railroad tracks and ran around the duck pond and through the CW Visitors Center and over the bridge back in time to CW proper. It was a good run.

Tetsujin, I have thoroughly enjoyed your recent posts. You have a great sense of humor.

I laughed at Mo's problems yesterday. But made sure I matched my pink panties to my pink compression socks this morning.

Aamos I visualized you at your telecon this morning and remembered why I am unemployed. I could never sit still for a meeting and would have made a smartalec remark to the ones who left their mic on. Also, how cold does it have to get for you to wear pants when you run? Wow. I didn't think it would happen in the Sunshine State.

Three things:

1. I saw a pileated woodpecker in my backyard today. Pecking intently but at a slow pace.

2. My friend's son got accepted to Ohio State, Michigan, and Purdue. The trifecta. I am astonished at this young man's apptitude. He wants to pursue engineering.

3. After I dropped off 3 bags of clothes to FISH and 4 bags of clothes to Goodwill, I went to Wawa to reward myself with a pretzel and cup of half hot chocolate and half decaf.  On my way from Goodwill to Wawa I passed a busstop where I saw two people kissing.

It's been a good day so far.

How you doing?

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

RCG - sounds like you are making good progress with your closets!!  I need to attack mine more now!!

Happy day after her birthday to your DW Jay - you are such a sweetie waking her up with that yes!!

6am run with my Thursday morning friends - new route with some good hills, but not quite safe enough this time of year with snow/ice and drivers heading to work -- we'll try it again when daylight reappears at a normal hour!!   7.0 miles in 1:06

Tomorrow looking forward to spending some time with my mom as we get massages and have dinner together!!

DH is making amazing progress in the basement with Maria's new room -- has the studs up, wiring done and half the sheetrock up!!

Found out today grandbaby #2 will be another little girl -- my reward for having 4 boys!! 

denise

mrrun

great stories and lines so far.

fashionista i'm not - every so often I match and it's a total shock.  most of the time, whatever's good for the weather.

first cold run since our return - yesterday was just too windy.  we parked at the Y and ran from there and finished off with the hot tub.

i loved commuting to work by bike - best part of work!

mike - enjoy your cross-training and pictures after!

Jay - happy belated bday to DW

challenges to me are like new year's resolutions....

happy runs and walks,

marj

spacityrunner

Headed out for a bit of a run at 11 a.m...it was 60f and sunny...whoa!  we are going to pay dearly for this wonderful weather, I just know it.  
                          Managed to run 3.3 miles in 42 min.  

As for the matching FUG issue...wear white or wear nothing at all   Problem solved (well, not the inside out one )

Run on friends, run on!

Trails Rock!

Mike E

MM #5615

Oh--I forgot to ask...what's "underwear"?

Marathon Maniac #957

I work with a lot of younger people (mostly in their 20s and 30s) and one of them made a derogatory comment about a mid 50s woman that was technically clued out at their last job.  I didn't want to mention I'll be such a creature in a year or two!

I am not exactly sure what you just said.....does that mean that I am "clued out?"

Mike - you are an awesome grandpa....

I have been so panickly overwhelmed at work for the last few months (even more than the usual frenzied pace) that I am just.so.tired.  I love what I do, but there's just SO MUCH of it.....I'm going to rest my head on my desk now for just a bit.....

I did get a quite satisfying and hard-won Medicaid approval for a client today, though, and I was able to unsnarl another client's Medicaid mess in short order with a telephone call to a caseworker - very satisfying achievements today.

4.4 miles for me on the TM this morning.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Oh--I forgot to ask...what's "underwear"?

...let's pick ''Don't Ask, Don't Tell'' for this one.........

sorry

about the DramaQueen Bit earlier,

my old running buddy

told me ''this winter will be your worst time, then it gets better''

should have believed him

============

60-min walk with trekking poles yesterday,

20-min x-bike standing

and

40-min PoolRun today,,,,,,,,,,which I plan to count as TWO work-outs instead of one

..........off to see DD2 and Claire tomrrow

good running to ya

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....