Masters Running

Tuesdaily, 7.24.18 (Read 41 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Spunky - very cool of you!

Tammy - scary!

Erika - that is pretty hot for racing, and the brilliant sun really takes it out of you.  Well done, though!

I have always run in Saucony Rides, but this last pair seems to be wearing out ridiculously soon (217 miles) and now that I have an enlarged big toe knuckle on my right foot (I will NOT say the word bunion), I need to find a shoe that doesn't have a seam that rubs there, as it has become a blister point on runs of 20+ miles.  I guess I need to hit the running store and start trying some shoes on.

I had a special panoramic x-ray done today ($350) to see if the bone-grafting from January, when I broke my implant, is strong enough to take another.  My personal dentist said he has never seen an implant like this fail, and sort of hinted that it was possible not done right, but the oral surgeon who originally put it in said he would replace it for free, just the cost of the parts - still several thousand dollars, but I am in it this deep, can't quit now.  (sigh)

Came home after the appointment and saw a deer in the neighbor's yard across the street.  This is a residential neighborhood - I have never seen this in 11 years living here.

Image may contain: outdoor

5.1 miles for me this morning, followed by about 20 minutes of weighs and core.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, quick post.  Haines Point today.  Muggy.  5+ miles at under an 8:30 pace (yea!).  Included some quarters (after 2 miles I alternated quarters until mile 5 so 6 total).  Didn't time them or anything, just ran them harder.

As for the class, Capital Hill day.  After a morning of briefings (including Sen Joni Ernst from Iowa and Rep Scott Perry from Pennsylvania) we broke up and went up to the capital.  Did the tour (interesting) and then waited in line for some gallery time.  Chose the House.  The chamber seems so much larger during the State of the Union address.  After that, went over to the Rayburn Bldg and met my congresscritter and his military legislative assistant.  Was a nice guy, answered my questions and unfortunately I agree with him.  No real end to the impasses in sight.  After that walked back to the hotel.

Adding more prayers Tammy.

Have a great night everyone!

Joe618

Mike, you preach well and you run fast...impressive 8x600s, plus extra.   Nicely done.

Tammy, you have a good plan.   The photos of each room will be of supreme value in the event you have to have any insurance discussions.   Very, very smart.   Praying this is all just good prep.

Falcon...you are having quite the time in DC.   Thanks for the reports.   We'll be there in 10 days time but only as tourists.   My wife used to live there but hasn't been there in many years, so we'll do the Mall and Smithsonian and the Frederick Douglas Museum.

Got in 4 very slow miles this morning.   Seemed I could almost feel the excess lactic acid from Saturday's ultra  oozing out of my legs as I shuffled along.

Have a good Wednesday, everyone.

Joe

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

5.6 ez next to the Bay with temps in the 70's and gentle breezes.

with all the bad weather everywhere else (heat, rain, etc) I'm glad I haven't cashed out of here yet! SOMETIME in the next 5-10 years I'll sell my ghetto-adjacent home in the Bay Area and buy a mini mansion with a pool, spa, views and theater in Utah, Arizona or Colorado and pocket the extra money.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

RunnerKSA there is some decent evidence that dry needling really does increase the odds of getting over tendonosis. It is not just a placebo. You have every right to think it is helping! Good luck with your continued recovery.

Holly S. deer = bad, pfriese coyote = good. We have a huge deer overpopulation problem in my area. Other than kill them with cars and starve them to death in the winter the only population control allowed is coyotes having baby venison for dinner. We really need wolves. Or hunting. One or the other.

SPUNKY57 what stumpy77 said. In fact, I am pretty sure in the better people scale of things you rank way higher than me. I bet anything that there is no way I would have donated that money to anything other than my wallet.

This morning I managed some weights and other gym work. Then went to PT in the afternoon. Here is the rundown on my status. The doctor thinks I have a torn hamstring. That believe it or not is good news if true. The alternative is my tendonosis is back. A tear will heal way faster. My back is another issue and if my doctor had a really good idea as to what it is, he did not tell me. The x-ray shows a curve at the base of my spine. He said that could be age degenerative scoliosis. But, I have had scoliosis since birth. I guess it could be getting worse. An MRI is in my near future. My PT also thinks I likely tore my hamstring. This is the same PT that cured my prior bout of tendonsis, so she is pretty good at this stuff. She does not think my back problems are age related scoliosis. Mostly, because of the speed at which it manifested itself. She thinks I twisted some muscles back there, compensated, tore my hamstring and that made the muscle strains worse. She thinks she can get my back fixed in two weeks or so. The hamstring . . . well that is going to take time. Both my PT and doctor think I can still manage to run Chicago. I suspect a BQ time is out, but start and finish it is not. Sigh, last time I was in this boat Mariposai was on the route to keep me company and my spirits up. This time, alas, I am on my own.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Thanks, twocat.  I hope your hamstring heals in time for some Chicago training.  Your PT sounds good.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

TammyinGP

Hoping for the more quickly healed version of the back and hamstring issues TwoCat!

5.6 on the TM at the gym tonight. lots of folks heading inside to get their workouts done since our air is so bad. still too warm in the gym but I figured all that extra sweating resulted in more calories burned.

Tammy

2Kitty - This sounds like good news!!  I'm so glad! *insert dancing bananas*  It sounds like you have both a great doc and a great PT. Blessed!

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mariposai

Tammy, we have lived through the worse two wildfires in the state of Washington in 2014 and 2015...I know the stress you and your community are going through. Prayers from here.

Holly, how cool is to have that visitor.

Falconfixer, you are an inspiration to us.

Spunky57, way to go.

Twocat, bummer about your hamstring. Triple bummer that we will not have a Rosie Ruiz relay team this year....here is wishing you speedy recovery for your  victory lap at your fall marathon.

For my mariposai wings this morning was 5 miles with 2x1 mile repeat. Tomorrow I have been summoned to Jury Duty, which is an honor for me as a naturalized citizen, but I have a auditors at my office for the next month. I don't have time to fulfill my duty as a city to be part of a jury.

Life is about to get that much more interesting...of course I will have no choice but to try to get out of the jury duty assignment, which makes me sad.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

SteveP

Tammy, I hate to see what your family is going through.

(((((Tom White)))))

Spunky57, you rock!!!

TwoCat, Gotta love your PT.

SteveP