Masters Running

Wednesday's Daily, 6.7.17 (Read 31 times)

Henrun

Like Jay, I also had a poor night's sleep and slept in. Unfortunately I missed the weekly current events group and my coffee afterwards with some of the guys in the group. Fortunately I did a fast 3 mile walk in the sun while Marj ran and Wonder Woman in the afternoon😎

Speaking of coffee: YIPPEE!

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

I am 100% convinced that part of the reason I got injured is because of the amount of stress I was under - between work, running, and trying to have a life.  With the exception of 2 weekends in Oct and at Christmas, for 3 straight months I worked at least one day every single weekend and was putting in 9-10 hr days during the week, as well. Cripes, I have 3 months of comp time built up!

I had a talk recently with my MIL wherein I said that I thought work stress was taking a toll on me, physically and mentally,  I work hard to keep to 40-42 hours/week because I am salary and don't get comp time or overtime, but the stress of keeping up within those parameters is huge.  Since I do a small (but fairly effective) amount of marketing for the firm, for my recent annual review I brought up the spreadsheet I had kept that showed referrals that came to the firm purely on people referred to me personally brought more than $120,000 in the last 12 months- 3 x my salary.  Unfortunately, apparently law firms are not allowed to give percentages of earnings to employees in this state.  Or so they say. I am currently negotiating for a bonus plan.  I told my DH, "This is just a way to try to get me working a million hours/week.  And it may work."

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I think I have the permissions fixed on the picture so that everyone can see it. Let me know if I succeeded.

Holly S. if you are bringing in $100k+ in billings you are not an employee, you are a partner. Seriously, you need to take advantage of competition. Go to some other law firms with your record and see about getting an equity stake in the firm in exchange for jumping ship.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Yep, we're back to normal now.

Eire has more sun than than Seattle

tetsujin209 you would like Ireland. Rains a lot. You might not miss Seattle at all.

From left to right Easy Pacer, Mariposai, Mr. Twocat and Mrs. Twocat.

The busy, multi-tasking goddesses herein remind me of a partially-exempt employee in an adjacent department and x-c skier who put in 10-12 hour days and many weekends without compensation for overtime (but p-x's had good salaries to compensate) and who mostly dilly-dallied around in local x-c ski races up there with her grade-school kids in those days when, all of a sudden, she was a full page feature story about a Siberia-BeingStraits-Alaska winter crossing of nearly three weeks on cross-country skis. I didn't say I didn't think she was a very good skier but, when I expressed surprise and wondered how she trained for it, let alone accomplished it, she said that long working hours and pretty much full-time mom'ing too pretty much prepared her for most anything she set her mind to.  It worked.

However, do not work extra for possible bonuses. 
            Make it up and tell them that your attorney friend

said that bonuses are for recognizing outstanding

performance in the course of regular duties,

not extra overtime.

Your salary doesn't seem so extreme as to qualify for partially-exempt and no overtime compensation but maybe it's different back there.

Good luck.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

mrrun

Twocat - great picture!

Holly - listen to the advice you're getting!

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I went 4 miles, today, after work...and don't get me started about issues at work...

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

Great picture!

I wanted to make Jay's recap, so I came back in add I got in 4 miles after work in a very slight drizzle.

Holly - Personally, I think you're greatly being taken advantage of.  I don't understand how, as a salaried employee, you can't be compensated for overtime.  Makes no sense.  That being said, as Twocat said, if you're bringing in over $100k a year and not getting some sort of compensation, it's time to take your talent where it'll be more appreciated.  Or at least if you find someplace willing to better compensate you, it's a bargaining chip for where you're at now.  I'm lucky in that I have a good salary (for Humboldt County), so far I can accrue unlimited comp time, and at the end of last year I got a very good bonus.

Friday is shot day.  To say I'm looking forward to having a large needle stuck in my butt is an understatement.  

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Hi everyone, another busy day here so no time to comment except that I really don't have any major complaints about my job. We have some down time and then it's ok to be on the internet so that's kinda nice.  I get off at 4 or 4:30 and never ever have to work overtime.

I woke up before 5am so was out the door at 5:10, just in time to see the "5 at 5" group go by my house the other way. They are 5 women in their 40's who run faster than I do.  I walked on the bike path to the campground and saw those blasted geese again across the bay so stayed on my side. I was lucky to see a wonderful sunrise and snapped this photo (many of you saw it on FB). It's headed to almost 100 degrees on Saturday here, uff da! I will have three cranky happy grandchildren to entertain. The windsurfers here for the Regatta will be happy. It will be a fun weekend to be in the water.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

evanflein

Holly - Personally, I think you're greatly being taken advantage of.  I don't understand how, as a salaried employee, you can't be compensated for overtime.  Makes no sense.  That being said, as Twocat said, if you're bringing in over $100k a year and not getting some sort of compensation, it's time to take your talent where it'll be more appreciated.

I've been telling her that for years! Now what I don't understand is the salaried employees being eligible for overtime, anywhere. From what I understand, you are "exempt" from the overtime requirements if you are eligible to be paid by a salary vs. hourly. I'm not an expert on the FLSA, but where I work if you are salaried you are "exempt" from overtime. If you are hourly, you are "non-exempt" and eligible for overtime. And comp time is not allowed. There's a salary test, and a duties test for being "exempt" and the salary test was due to be increased considerably but Trump put the kabosh on that when he demanded a review of all regulations not yet implemented. No idea where this is now, but the current "salary test" is woefully inadequate. I'm "exempt," and not eligible for overtime, but I'm in management. Holly is a paralegal which in Alaska is a Non-exempt position, and yes eligible for overtime.

Ran home from work today, 10.3 miles. Holy carp, if I'd known how windy it was out there I would've done something else. But almost the entire way was with a 12 mph headwind with 20 mph gusts. And no rain. My garden is so dry I'm having to water it twice a day. Now, don't get me wrong, I like dry sunny days (although today was pretty cloudy), but at some time, the lawn and garden needs some water from above!

SteveP

Is Jack Handy Steve's brother?

I've yet to see him at any of the reunions. The fact that we don't have reunions may play a role in that.

Holly, I can relate.

SteveP

I'm pretty well-versed in FLSA as an employment lawyer.  It wasn't actually Trump who stopped the proposed rule.  It was a federal court and was before Trump was in office.  Granted, the Republican administration wasn't going to let it happen anyway.  The changes were going to cost a lot of lower level workers their jobs.  I can promise you that.

Otherwise, you are correct.  Salaried employees are expected to perform the functions of their jobs in the time it takes to do so.  The salary is expected to compensate for the hours required.   At many companies, there are a number of benefits to being salaried- such as higher bonus levels, stock options etc.  It is regarded as more prestigious.  However, overtime pay can really help boost a salary for hourly employees.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth