Masters Running

TGIF - Friday 4/26/24 (Read 36 times)

30 minutes of my life that I wish I could get back were the 30 minutes we spent last night watching the NFL draft. Geez, is that ever boring! We mainly just enjoyed seeing those 1000s of people crowded into the Campus Martius square on a nice-looking evening in Detroit. At least the weather cooperated and the city looked fantastic. But I still fail to see the attraction when all the real "action" is taking place in the teams' private rooms.

I got an early look at the new Garmin interface by signing up for the beta program. I didn't like it so reverted to the standard app only for it to come back with no choice!

I had a very nice outing with our biking group this morning. The cold weather forecast held it down to just 8 people but it was sunny and really very comfortable while we were riding. Also nice to be able to make use of some of my old running gear such as tights, warm base layers, heavy socks, etc. Others were not as well equipped. 26 miles round-trip with a stop for a substantial late breakfast.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

I really just use Garmin Connect to get me to Strava and RunningAhead.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

The Hub loves watching the draft, but then he's a HUGE college football fan and big NFL fan.  I couldn't believe how many people were physically there, though.  Dang!  I and probably a lot of other people cringed when the one guy actually picked up Roger Goodell who's only 3 weeks out from back surgery. 

I switched to Coros from Garmin and never looked back.

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

This evolved into a conversation about what would happen if one of us dies and the other becomes involved with a new partner and how that would affect inheritances for our children....

I think past a certain age, and you guys are probably almost there, it really makes no financial sense to marry again (cohabit sure, marry no). If you marry then there could be issues with some money going to your new spouse and not your kids.

I did 2 - 1 mile walks. Still fatigued but improving.

I am thinking about a DIY bathroom remodel. Thinking is likely as far as I will get without some magic motivation.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

wildchild

Carolyn

Hey masters, checking in from the road, and typing on my phone, so I'll be brief.  Good luck to Jay and whoever else is racing tomorrow!

Deez, enjoy your time with your grandkids!

Courtney was amazing at the Fuji 100!

We spent the last few days at Bryce Canyon National Park.  I did a long run (13 miles)on the fairyland loop plus Queen/Navajo loop.  The first was fairly uncrowded, but the second is ibetween two popular overlooks and it was mobbed.  The final climb back up to the rim, I passed 90 people in half a mile ! Ben got his 2nd Shingrix shot two days ago, and he's feeling crappy, so he didn't get to hike at Bryce, but he sat and looked out at the view!

Today we're camped at a little forest service campground near Escalate Utah. It's raining, but supposed to clear up tomorrow so we plan to hike to a waterfall. Happy to be missing the foot of snow predicted for our house in Colorado!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

KSA - though I didn't have any idea about Econo's "Garmin" notice, I figured I'd figure it out from the responses but not even eight or so could help but, if Garmin connects with RA and Strava,, I probably better find out since I use the latter more than daily and the former once-in-a-while

I really just use Garmin to get me to Strava and RunningAhead.

Dave - though unlike the Mt. Fuji Marathon around Lake Kawaguchi(ko) that is under the view of Mt. Fuji for all 42,195km, the UTMF 100 mile equivalent is running through towns and some woodlands before final scenic climb and descent for 19K almost right under the mountain itself, since I've been through all of towns and places it goes through, and since the finish is at the Fujiyoshida site of the MF Suimmit Race I've did several times in those days, there was hardly any scene that didn't leave me in awe and remembrances of the mountain I've climbed more than 30 times.

It wasn't like the NHK World 49 minute program on the 2023 race complete with the drones you mention and a runner photog keeping up to the leaders along the way all the way to the brutal climb and descent of the last 19K.   Unfortunately too, the Mountain Post announcers who had been ensconced into a windowless room in Arizona with no maps or info on the race being expected to comment intelligently on the Japanese language video feeds they were live streaming without much, if any, obvious preparation except that one of the tag team four lived and raced over there for a couple of years so talked a lot about the time difference (saying it was "Saturday" several times over there when it was really still Friday but 20 hours ahead of Seattle), etc.  Fortunately, there was a Frenchman currently living and running in Japan who was very active on the live chat correcting and providing all kinds of information on the nutrition, orderly aid station and gear drops, shoes, etc. so, for me, it was fantastic and I'm still on a Mt. Fuji high but I'm easy and anything with Mt. Fuji in the background is like I was back there again.

In the results, Courtney improved her previous UTMF 100 women's win and 16th overall of 23:57:48 in 2018 to 19:21:22 and, after working her way up to the front though aid station after aid station, and being almost four hours ahead of the second place woman, was only 30 seconds behind second place and less than 11 minutes from an ultimate win that would have been hers in a slightly long race, for sure.

In one of the more ridiculous comments, though, Mr. Second Place opined that he believed Courtney had slowed down in the last mile to spare him the embarrassment of being bested by a gal that men in some cultures still don't like to have happen in anything.

I also couldn't figure out the announcer's effusion about how, even though she was a sub--3 marathoner, the second place gal who lived right there at the base of Mt. Fuji where she could run every day could have done so well after only having been running trail marathons for two years as, it seems to me, very few, if any, of the elites take two years to starting winning races, e.g. x-c skier Scott Jurek won the first very ultra he entered (1996).  They did, however, get a kick out of her taking time to bow to all the volunteers at her home town aid station.  Me too.

I'm sure their live stream of the Western States will be a lot better. I just hope it's gratis too but I doubt it but, if they do Leslie's aid station again, it will be worth it.

Thanks again. It was a fantastic finale to the previous two days' live audios of two huge Supreme Court cases (homelessness and presidential immunity).  I kind of dread tomorrow but, now that I know who, at least, drafted the UM and UW quarterbacks, it sure won't be the NFL.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks!

45 minutes of weights and core for me.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tramps

We spent the last few days at Bryce Canyon National Park.  I did a long run (13 miles)on the fairyland loop plus Queen/Navajo loop. 

Fairyland? Hey, I've been there.

Be safe. Be kind.