Masters Running

Tuesday the Twelfth (I am I am) - 10/12/10 (Read 334 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Econo - what a bummer!  Like Dove asked, do you have any idea what factored in your bonk, or was it just one of those physiological mysteries?

Dove - what a great team you have there!  Good luck!  You have worked so hard for this, you are as ready as you can be.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I will be taking a little time off - not too much, I hope, but still want to lurk.  OK?   Had a little "proceedure" done yesterday, but am fine.

Mariposa   I'm getting excited about your big adventure race, and the fact that you are so all ready!   Send me some butterfly sproink soon, though. 

Econo - Sounds like you got a little more insight into the bonks.  So sorry that happened.  Hey, that bear picture should be for me, not you!   I can't even run in the deep woods now until winter. 

Econo - Sorry to hear about your bonk.  Love the sign you quoted!

Take care, Woods Lady.

Holly - What kinda trail shoes?  Have you thought at gaiters? http://www.dirtygirlgaiters.com/

I'm up to my neck here at work, so a quick shout out to everyone.  1 hr of core/strength for me this a.m.  Overslept and didn't have time for my 30 min of cycling.  Maybe Thurs.

Later ~

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly - What kinda trail shoes?  Have you thought at gaiters? http://www.dirtygirlgaiters.com/

Brooks Cascadia 5's.  I don't know carp about trail shoes, but this was what the running store guy suggested, based on my description of the race and terrain, and they felt pretty comfortable.  I'm taking off now to try them out, so I'll know more later....

I thought about gaiters, but didn't think I would need them for this one.  It's supposed to be mostly on trails, not much encroachment by the undergrowth in late October, I think.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

TammyinGP

Econo - what a bummer!  Like Dove asked, do you have any idea what factored in your bonk, or was it just one of those physiological mysteries?

I'm sure the studly medics standing by had nothing to do with it. pure coincidence no doubt. Joking

econo - as I stated at the 'other place' - i'm sorry this happened and you were unable to finish. and glad you were quickly revived by Victoria's finest.

and so glad you had a wonderful time with friends. I really want to be there next year. maybe we can be travel companions.

Tammy

Econo - I need the details - guess I will have to go over to Kick to find out....but speaking of studs (thanks Tammy)...my kids' swimming teacher has abs worthy of a magazine cover and I just can't peel my eyes away sometimes.  So yesterday he comes in from outside, comes up to me, gives me a big smile and proceeds to strip off his clothes down to his swimming trunks!  How distracting!  It was like having Swiss Ball Guy crunching two feet away from you.  It is a good thing I am probably more than, cough, twice his age and married.

No run today, did not get enough sleep.  This ruined my plan of 30 miles for the week as DH will be gone all weekend and I was going to squish it all in 5 days.  No dice now.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

my kids' swimming teacher has abs worthy of a magazine cover and I just can't peel my eyes away sometimes.  So yesterday he comes in from outside, comes up to me, gives me a big smile and proceeds to strip off his clothes down to his swimming trunks!  How distracting!  It was like having Swiss Ball Guy crunching two feet away from you.

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Well, I ate a rather light breakfast, in retrospect, at 6:45 am and the race started at 9am, so I was still running 6 hours after breakfast.  I think I needed more food in my gut.  But really, it's probably a combination of a lot of things -- going out slightly too fast, stressful week at work, lack of sleep, yadda yadda.

I think in order to run a sub-4 marathon, I have to pull down a few HM's in the mid 140's first, so that it's a slam dunk (current HM PR is just under 1:49).  That's why I'm looking forward to a 9-month training cycle for this next marathon.

I forgot to ogle the paramedics, but I thought the ambulance ride was Most Excellent!

Dove, I am totally excited about your race!  I gave Labduck your race bag from RVM so that he can deliver it to you.  The shirt rocks.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Econo... glad it was temporary. Some fast 1/2 marathons is an excellent idea as is the longer base building.

So kewl about your speedy coach!  Here she is:

yup queen of the 51-55 AG

http://www.arrs.net/SA_Mara.htm

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Maniac 505

I forgot to ogle the paramedics, but I thought the ambulance ride was Most Excellent!

Econo:

I have only rode in an ambulance once it was not a fun evening.   I can't imagine this was fun for  you?   So glad you are OK, but I have to think this was a little scarey?

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

econo  赛 跑 者 教 授 daisuki sensei - zannen desu ga,

let us consol you and woodlie at the Pink door if the Seattle Half Mary might work out this year.

Your proposed half mary forumula is exactly how it worked for me

back in the days before my knee (and everything else) got old.

however, working that hard for more than four hours warrants

more than just energy junklets along the way..

Maybe start taking a favorite snack that your stomach is already used for a 20-mile snack.

Mine's been a couple of of the dollar-size blueberry/banana pancakes from breakfast. 

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)