Masters Running

Mondaily, 8.13.18 (Read 37 times)

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, I had a dentist appointment this morning so I got to run with my old running crew in Florence.  We went 6 miles in just under 54:00.  It was good to catch up with everyone.  Little cooler (upper 60s) and slightly less humid than typical in August.  Felt good.  After that, went to the dentist for a temporary crown then drove back to Montgomery.

Stumpy, a belated Happy Birthday!

RunnerKSA, If I have spin students with HR monitors I'll set up my profiles to be 80/20.  But I have a lot less discipline running!  My easy runs are too hard and my hard runs are too easy.  Good luck!

Have a greta night everyone!

evanflein

But I have a lot less discipline running!  My easy runs are too hard and my hard runs are too easy.  Good luck!

Wow, that sure sounds familiar. Story of my life. Although as I've recovered from injury earlier this year and find I've lost my speed and endurance, I've been focusing on being better at alternating easy and harder effort days. Not sure it's helping a whole lot, but that's the deal.

Liz, sorry to hear about Dolly's decline. I think there are a lot of us here who know what you're going through. It's never easy.

twocat, had to LOL at the bring your cat to church day comment. Ha, I missed it too!

Speaking of cats, Emma killed a rabbit the other day. Totally freaked me out. We're having a "high year" for snowshoe hares and they are everywhere. I haven't noticed any garden damage though. So Emma comes up the driveway, carrying something that looked bigger than she was. I ran down and had to pretty much kick her off it (like a monkey trap where the monkey won't drop the orange to get its hand out of the trap, she couldn't run with it but wouldn't drop it) then scooped her up and took her inside. Rabbit got bagged and put in the trash. There is a lot of tularemia in the local hare and fox population and pets are susceptible to it if they eat hares, such as road kill or what they kill. I hope just dragging it home isn't too big of a risk. Damn cat.

Rest day today, walked 1.1 miles at lunchtime.

evanflein

If you are interested in pix from our DC trip, I compiled them here on my running blog.

Joe, thanks for sharing. When I was in DC a few years ago, I saw a lot of those memorials and monuments on my daily runs. It wasn't too hot then! You did a lot more than we did though, thanks for taking us along on your trip! And the battlefields of Antietem are part of the Freedom's Run marathon course that Holly and I did a couple years ago. Beautiful and moving, with a lot of sad stories on those markers. DH and I went back the next day and stopped to read a lot of them.

Surly Bill - As I was reading your post, I thought, "Well, maybe the injured parts just finally gave up!"

Will definitely look at the DC pics.  DC is on our very long bucket list of places to go before we become decrepit or die.

So 6 min is when things start bothering me - at least on this run.  I could feel an area he was poking at on Friday start to slightly tighten up, and then about 20 min after the run, The Issue started.  Hopefully, that's a starting point.

Speaking of animals - Thankfully, Ziggy's kidneys are maintaining and he doesn't have a thyroid problem.  But if he continues to lose weight, he'll have to be tested for IBD or intestinal lymphoma, which cause the body to not absorb as much nutrition.  Both would require predisone to help get rid of the inflammation, but the medicine is hard on the kidneys, which is not a good thing for old cats.  So for now he can eat whatever and whenever he wants and we'll recheck is weight in 3-4 weeks.  Poor old guy.  We aren't going to do a bunch of invasive stuff, but he needs to be happy and comfortable, and if he's not getting the nutrition he needs because his body isn't absorbing it, we're not gonna let him effectively starve.  Dang it.  Love that old guy . . . .

Okay - Off to do some transcription before I hit the hay.  First time I've had extra work in a long time.  It's been sorely missed ~~

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

anneb

I ran an easy 3 on the home treadmill after work, seemed better than outside in 86/ sun. What is this 80/20 - similar to low HR I gather? Perhaps tomorrow I’ll do some googling.

Anne

Oh, I think I've determined my NTT (nipple tolerance time) is just a bit over 2 hours. I've also found that it's really difficult to get bandaids to stick to already sweaty skin.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

anneb

Leslie- my first cat lived to be 18+. She had kidney issues for the last several years, honestly they weren’t her downfall. She did lose a ton of weight (mostly in last 3 years) and ultimately passed from liver failure. We would let her eat whatever she wanted, but she was tiny. We didn’t do much in the way of extra measures, she was just an old cat (not meaning to be insensitive- I had that cat since she was 3 months). We’re very big on quality of life with our oldies- eating is a big thing. Hopefully there is something easy to be done for your guy.

Anne

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Just came in to post my run.  8 total miles which included 4 x1200 at the track.  It was 92° but there was some wind to make it feel it a little better.

Dear old dad had no life insurance.  Luckily, he can have a free service and burial site at out national cemetery because of his time in the Air Force, but they don't pay for caskets or cremation.  It figures.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

Anneb - We had one guy, Fatso, who live to 19 1/2.  Dudie died at 12 after a long haul on fluids and eventually had a stroke.  With both, we went the "kitty dialysis" route and swore we would never do that again.  It sucked for all concerned.  We'll watch Zig and, much to the disappointment of the other cats, let him (and not them) eat as much canned food as he wants.  If he's still around in another year, I'll be very happy, but we definitely won't put him through any crap.  He's our grizzled dude who has long had a penchant for shoving himself as far up into your butt as possible when sleeping at night. He deserves the best. 

Mike - I'm sorry you're having to through all this.  And I don't mean to sound crass, but cremation is far less expensive than a casket.  My dad didn't want to be cremated, but (1) we couldn't afford to have him shipped in whole 8 hrs home to be buried with my mom and (2) it allowed us to have his memorial at a time convenient for the majority of the family and take him home.

Okay - Done with transcription.  Off to bed ~ Night, friends ~ 

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Anne-  It’s similar to MAF/low HR but a little different.  There are different ways to figure out “easy” than just heart rate.  Author is Matt Fitzgerald.  I’m about halfway through his book.  It makes a lot of sense.  I was running just hard enough every day (slightly above moderate effort) to never really recover or feel great.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

I just lost a long post, grrrrr.   The condensed version:

worked till noon

lunch meeting,,,a fun one

shopped for supplies for the walking tacos

worked frim 3-7 to serve and clean up. Lots of help, good turnout for the projects. I should volunteer more often, I do like working in the kitchen.

Played cards with DD1 til 9pm

watered all the flower gardens

tried to figure out who to vote for in the Prinary. MikeE, don’t vote for “Rocky” he is running for Senate in FIVE states!  How is that possible?

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

SteveP

SteveP if you want to come over with some of those ramps, I would be happy to get your help!  Dogs can come over too. 

Ramps would cost less than the ice cream those beats inhale.

Joe, thank you for the link.

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

But if he continues to lose weight, he'll have to be tested for IBD or intestinal lymphoma

This is what killed our Max kitty.  He didn't seem to be in any pain, but just kept losing weight.  This made it really hard to decide when the right time was to let him go.  Finally DS said, "We're keeping him around more for us, than for him."  It was still very hard.  He was such a sweet, sweet kitty.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."