Masters Running

Thurs May 13th Runs - Rest - and everything in between (Read 655 times)

Jlynne

Morning everyone. Computer problems all week, only connection to internet is at school and they don't like me catching up on RA when I'm supposed to be working! Think we've got all of the bugs worked out, now lots of reading to do to catch up on what's going on around here.

Hello Tom White! Nice to see your post, sorry to hear about your hips. It's the curse of aging, yes?

Mary - we've had an ungodly week of bad weather. Rain every day, lousy temps and high winds. I hope you feel better. I'm not a big fan of Nyquil or things like that - always feel like a zombie in the morniing. It's hard to shake that stuff out of your system.

Tim - good luck with job #2. I saw the "young Tim" out running with his girlfriends again yesterday. Shirtless, big grin on his face....that is sooooooo you about 30 years ago.

20 days in a row? Wow, Cranium. Glad you're back running on all cylinders again.

Holly continues to be my role model. Between running and core/leg work, you must not have an ounce of fat on your body. Another great workout today.

Glad you're being a good patient, Deb.

Happy 18th birthday to your DS, Mariposai. They grow up too fast, don't they?

Last 4 miler this morning before the half marathon on Sunday, 9:20 pace. I feel dreadfully unprepared for this race, but I'm looking forward to it. The weather is supposed to be perfect. Temps around 45° at the start with clear skies. I hope I get to meet Slo at some point. I'm working packet pickup tomorrow but don't think Slo is coming into town until Saturday.

Big news here: DH bought running shoes!!! He's been out twice this week. I'm so happy he's trying this again and trying really hard to not be too, oh - what's the word I'm looking for here - crazed, excited, overeager, obnoxious....

...thanks guys//............not sure what I expected since no one in our family HAS arthritis,

but

first thought I had a Hamstring Tear

then

thought I had a Quad Tear

THEN

thought I had a hip-flexor pull.............and the answer was: ALL OF THE ABOVE

the hips don't actually hurt,

it's everything that CONNECTS to the hips....

....I would offer some sage advise at this point,

but I just got the diagnosis in February,

so gimme a decade or so....

meanwhile I'll just Run Funny.

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Slo

Last 4 miler this morning before the half marathon on Sunday, 9:20 pace. I feel dreadfully unprepared for this race, but I'm looking forward to it. The weather is supposed to be perfect. Temps around 45° at the start with clear skies. I hope I get to meet Slo at some point. I'm working packet pickup tomorrow but don't think Slo is coming into town until Saturday.

I checked the weather last night.......It looks perfect.  Nothing like the weather we have been getting......we're flooded here...not like Nashville flooded....but we've been there.

Keep an eye on your message indicator Jlynne.......I'll be passing on my email and cell phone info. I'll be at the expo Sat, mid to late afternoon....I'm going to agitate my kids and sign them up for the text alerts at the Cellcom Marathon website......they send out 7 different alerts. 5,10,half,20, 1 mile to go , and finish. I'll get a chuckle every time I hit one of those timing mats.

Marathon Maniac #957

Between running and core/leg work, you must not have an ounce of fat on your body.

Oh, if only this were so...

Good luck this weekend, you, too, Slo_Hand!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

Well she sure doesn't have much, I can tell you that!

Hey tomwhite! Nice to see you venturing outside the kick walls. You've become my pool running role model since you do it and I haven't in ages now. Hope to get back to that soon.

Happy birthday to your DS, Mariposai! Japanese theme dinner sounds excellent. I wonder if Tetsujin would have any tips or hints!

Graduation ceremony was great last night. He really has a lot of cool friends, and it's amazing how many of the parents DH and I know from our own high school days. Ahh, the joys of living for a long time in a small town. I did take pictures but they're not loaded on photobucket yet. It was funny though, we moved where we were sitting because some girls behind us were talking too much (couldn't hear anything else!) and ended up sitting right next to DS's GF's family! They got all excited when she walked out and took her seat, so I asked at one point "Who is your graduate?" When they said her name, we introduced ourselves. It was pretty funny. We were going to meet her for the first time last night, and ended up meeting her parents first! DH texted to DS that we were sitting next to her folks, and he got a very surprised look on his face. It was priceless.

Oh, and DH shaved his mustache last night. I've never seen him without it. Well, maybe in high school, but I bet he had it even then! It'll take some getting used to.

Hey All - Had no time to check in here yesterday, and today has to be brief, as well.  Not a lot of work at my Thurs/Fri job, but I need to get ready for conference next week.

Lots of great workouts!  Tim, your running never ceases to amaze me.  Good luck with the ultimate decision re the job.

Erika - I hate it when The Hub shaves his mustache.  He looks so . . . . weird.

I'm going to be lazy and copy this from another post:

Sleep-in Day for me.  I was thinking about getting up and working out (and a brief stand on the scales pushed the point ), but then I remembered that Sunday is a 10-mile day along with 12 trail miles on Saturday.  Working out 9 days in a row (this past Monday through next Tuesday) didn't sound real appealing, although I know many peeps do it.

Got some very good news yesterday that is making me breath a whole lot easier.  The partners at my 3-day-a-week job agreed to hire me full-time.  Yesterday was an absolutely crazy day there, and on the fly my boss said, "Oh, and you have a job."  I looked at her for a beat and said, "Full time?"  "Yeah.  We talked about it at our meeting today and they were like, 'yeah, whatever.' "  Me: "Okay, let's celebrate later." And then I was running again.  We had 6 different pleadings that had to be signed by people here and out of the area and filed by 4:00, plus all had to be mailed out to 25 different people/law offices.  And I had to get my truck and be at a personal appointment by 5:00.  Whew!

Now I just have to make my boss at this job (Thurs/Fri) set a date that he's done.  If he doesn't, I'll set one for him.  Like: "Okay.  Well, I'm going over there full-time as of X-date.  You need to either get your act together or find another secretary."  Well, it won't be that blunt, but it'll be close.

Okay.  I've blabbed enough.  Have a good one ~

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Tom White, sorry about the hips but glad to see you pop in.

Hopeful - I had a colleage that used to say to me, every time he saw me "boy, you look really tired!" (I think he was practising trying to be concerned)  to which I would reply, "I'm not tired, guess I just look it"  This went on for like 8 or 9 times.  He never had any other conversation opener for me, so this naturally began to grate on my nerves.  So one Christmas he goes away to Florida and comes back with black/slightly purple tinged hair, whereas before he was salt and pepper, with lots of salt.   I say, "Remo, your hair is purple."  He says, "no it isn't," "yes it is, did you dye it?",  "No!".  It was funny and a little innocent revenge I got.

Holly nice run and all those legs exercises, they'd kill me.

Tim nice high mileage and no soreness, wow!

Have to call the exterminator, then get out for a run.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Tet- I'm telling you go for the orange nail polish rather than the orange shoelace

Thanks for the clarification craniminium.

do you have any other colors more appropriate for my current stylish outfit?

===========

thanks a lot tomW. 

I've been using the knee arthritis one for the last 23 marathons.

=====================

happy birthday party for posie's ds

sushi mini cakes! by hello naomi

Mariposai! Japanese theme dinner sounds excellent. I wonder if Tetsujin would have any tips or hints!--

invite us too.

======================

jtv - let us know when you're comin'

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

wildchild

Carolyn

Several big milestones to celebrate!  Mariposai - Happy 18th birthday to your DS!  When is his graduation?

Erika - congrats to your DS, too.  Odd to have a graduation on a Wednesday night, no? So do you like his GF?  And do her folks like your DS?  Oh, and my DH shaved his mustache off a few months ago, but he has since grown it back.  I'd never seen him without it, either, in 28 years together.

My DD's graduation is a week from Saturday.  Who else has kids graduating this year?

Good luck at the Celicom half/full, Jlynne and SloHand!  Excellent weather forecast, and I'm sure you'll both smoke it!  I like the plan to send text messages to your kids.

Leslie, congrats on the full time job!

Planning a RAL.  Took yesterday off because of the snow and cold weather , but today the sun is shining and it's in the 40's.  Three more inches of snow last night at home, and it was all sparkly and pretty this morning.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Double run day for me today.....I rolled back home at noon after a morning presentation and just had to get my sneakers. I was the presenter and all went well (in fact rather than a tote bag or a pen set the organization will make a donation to the charity of my choice---Cool!) Anyway, such a gorgeous day here that I decided to split today's workout---3.5 miles just now on a deep blue sky sunny day. I just had to run----happy mood. I'll run later at the Ashley Reservoir at the Thursday night 5k series to get some speedy miles. The kiddo is running as well so it will be a workout and a fun time.

Tet, I have sparkly orange polish on my toes now and also have a couple bottles of deep pink/ magenta. I may have just the thing for you!

I'll second what Erika said about Holly. I know you don't like the number you see on the scale Holly---but you are a lithe, fit, and slender woman. I saw you just last week so I know this to be true!

Congrats to you and your son Erika. Funny story too.

Tom White is here too...awesome!

Great news on the DH purchase JLynne.

BBLASR

TammyinGP

Do I need to bring some nail polish to Newport, Tet?

Tammy

Quick check in. I did have my shoes with me, ran 4.3 miles. The sign at the bank said 86 degrees. Very humid. But it was the best I've felt running since Ive started back up. It is flatter than my normal courses. Reminds me why I run hilly-ish courses in training. Makes flat courses seem soo much easier.

Erika, Congrats on the son's graduation. I imagine he was terrified when you texted him..hilarious.

Jlynn, awesome on the husband. DW is more of a walker, was going to walk the half Pig, but she came down with a bad cold the week before and with the rainy weather it didnt make sense.

evanflein

Jlynne bought a DH?? I really need to read more carefully...

Carolyn, we have several high schools here, but limited "facilities" in which to hold graduation. The big schools use the community center (where we have hockey games, basketball tournaments, arena football, concerts, etc) and Tuesday night was North Pole, last night was Lathrop (ours), and tonight is West Valley (where DH and I went). Each is a big production with almost 300 graduates and their families/friends, and each has a post-graduation party going into the wee hours to keep the kids from "alternative activities." We were on clean up detail this morning and the kids didn't trash the place, so it was easy. We left it nice and ready for West's parents to come in and decorate. The University's commencement is this Sunday and I think that caps them all.

The GF's parents went on and on about how sweet and polite my son is. I had to ask them "we are talking about that kid over there, right?" So it's nice to know that the kid who procrastinates everything and talks back to his parents is a good kid out of the house.

I sure hope our weather improves over the day. I'm planning to run home from work again today, and really don't want to do it in the drizzle! Someone asked me how I do that awhile ago... DH and I frequently ride in together. I have the car today so I'll drop it off at his office (just down the hill) and take off from there. He'll come home later, sometime picking me up along the way if I want/need a ride. On days he has the car, he comes up here and grabs my stuff, then I run home. Works out pretty well and I get a nice almost-10 mile hilly run out of the deal!

Jlynne bought a DH?? I really need to read more carefully...

wildchild

Carolyn

Sounds like Jlynne exchanged the DH for a new and improved model that goes running!  Where can I get one of those?

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.