Masters Running

Taco Tuesdaily, 3.5.24 (Read 36 times)

wildchild

Carolyn

KSA, bummer about the credit card!  Such a hassle to change all the things linked to the card.  That happened to us when we were traveling in the Sprinter van in California. Luckily we had other cards with us, since they sent the replacement card to our house and we weren't' there.

It was grey and rainy here today, but I got out in the late afternoon when it had cleared a bit, and ran 6 road miles around the retirement place here, since the trails were too muddy.  I'm flying home tomorrow, and my brother is arriving here on Friday to help out with my dad.

My dad seems a bit better just in the last two days - eating more and doing his PT.  They had put him on an antidepressant a week ago because he was really down and refused food and medicine one day.  I suspect he wasn't depressed, he was frustrated with being stuck in the hospital, and being sad and lonely and in pain.  My mom talked them into discontinuing that med yesterday, which is good.  Since I've been here, keeping him company and helping him with meals, he seems happier and more engaged.  I'm trying to talk my mom into hiring a full time caregiver and bringing my dad back to their apartment, but she's not sure he or she is ready for that.   I don't know if he'll ever regain the level of ability and mobility he had even a few months ago. but since he's 94, it's not unexpected that he's in decline.

Honestly, my mom is so annoying that he might have mixed feelings about coming back to the apartment - it would be more homey than the hospital, but she'll bother him about every little thing.  They've been married for 72 years so he knows how to tune her out, but I wish she'd just chill out and be nicer.  Sorry for the rant.  It's just that my dad is such a sweet, kind man, and it's too bad he has to put up with my mom.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

I thought I would be blocked by weather and commitments again today, but when I got out of my dental cleaning the rain had stopped and it didn't look like it would start up again for a while, so I got in a quick 3.25 miles.

Tomorrow is a big gay adventure in The City, full of haircuts and museums and food I can't pronounce. This is the delayed spousal equivalent birthday, because everyone should shelter in place on the weekends.

Sucks about the card KSA, I can't recall ever having that happen other than lost wallet and physical card being used about 30 years ago. I was worried that the FB thing this morning meant my account was hacked or something, but it happened to everyone.

Glad to hear your Dad is doing better, Carolyn. My Dad did hospice at home, and it worked out very well for all of us.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Carolyn- where are you in PA?

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

wildchild

Carolyn

Karen, I'm in Haverford, a western Philly suburb.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

I grew up right near there!  Broomall!  I know Haverford well.  I’ve done a lot of running (even in the past year) on the Schuylkill River Trail and Perkiomen Trail.  My son went to Penn.  I left for college and never went back there to live.  My sister and her family lived in Collegeville for many years but now have a house up in the Poconos near Hazelton.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

BTY - I knew you had to deal with lots of rules and routines but never dreamed you'd have to swim all the way to the other end to practice push offs rather than just turning around after doing one and walking back to the edge of the pool to do it again so long as you're out of the way, hanging on the edge, etc, as any of the lappers might be approaching for own their turnarounds to go back to the other end,

ps - I always thought Benjamin Franklin was talking about Thomas Jefferson when he recommened finding a busy person to help if you needed something done but it was, more likely, Jay.

pps - good job on taking advantage of DST to get an hour closer to retirement.

KSA - Chase's always been good about contacting me about when I buy something big or even on the internet which I didn't ever used to do but Bank of American let someone charge $160 on my lost card in a suburb I'd never spent in before, . . . . and didn't cover it because it was too close.  Did you lose yours or was the number stolen from a TikTok purchase?

Carolyn - Glad your dad's picking up

but wow: 72 years.  Harry and Ike.

The Korean War wasn't even over, . . .

actually, probably hadn't even started.

Surly - I did the same as, though this morning's chilly downtown drizzle where we are looked like it could turn into the snow enke was getting across the lake towards the Cascades, voila !, by the time I got on the bus to return to the residence this afternoon after a late morning walk down to Chinatown for some things, it had turned so sunny that I stayed on the bus and went right by the sr. housing stop another mile towards the lake and got off at the Arboretum/Japanese Garden I'd checked out two weeks ago when there were only some early cherry blossom already about and, though the main ones are all still tightly bound up in their little pinkening buds, the cute little 10-12" skunk cabbage inhabiting the muddy substrate of a little grassy rivulet that flows into an adjacent duck pond that were nowhere to be seen two weeks ago had forged their yellow spadixes and protective maroon-hooded and enclosing variegrated spathes up to see, . . . ., all of which I had never heard of until looking it up just now. Nothing like the huge five-six footers up the coast I used to be used to.  

I thought I would be blocked by weather and commitments again today, but when I got out of my dental cleaning the rain had stopped and it didn't look like it would start up again for a while, so I got in a quick 3.25 miles.

Though, for the first time in two nights, I needed a little PK help after two hours of tossing and turning last night, Mr. Knee behaved all day long so I could let him rest while we watched the second visible sunset of the year, and first since January 16, set down behind the Olympic Mountains some 80 miles away in the distance from behind the nearby downtown city buildings and across Puget Sound. The sunset we saw on January 16 was to the south of the dozen skyscrapers that poke up higher than the Olympics but today's sunset was well to the north so it's pure sunset from here on out until October, . . . assuming some more blessed sunny days between now and then.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Tet-  I’ve never bought anything on Tik Tok and I don’t even have an account.  I didn’t lose the card.  I suspect some site where I made a purchase got compromised or somehow my number was stolen-  maybe the sweaters a month or so ago that “shipped from the US” but actually came from China.  Who knows?   I just booked my son a hotel room on Expedia- could have been that.  A lot of these big sites have been hacked.

SteveP

Dave59 - There have been extended periods where I felt that I could only get work done after everyone else was done for the day.  It stinks that you are that overwhelmed.  I started interviewing with other companies before the workload was adjusted.

Dave, I can't see you getting into trouble for saying the truth.

Sometimes it is how you say it.

(((((Wildchild)))))

I get a phone alert every time my credit card is used.

I got 3.25 on the mill and PT stuff.

SteveP

BTY

BTY - I knew you had to deal with lots of rules and routines but never dreamed you'd have to swim all the way to the other end to practice push offs rather than just turning around after doing one and walking back to the edge of the pool to do it again so long as you're out of the way, hanging on the edge, etc, as any of the lappers might be approaching for own their turnarounds to go back to the other end,

ps - I always thought Benjamin Franklin was talking about Thomas Jefferson when he recommened finding a busy person to help if you needed something done but it was, more likely, Jay.

pps - good job on taking advantage of DST to get an hour closer to retirement.

This particular Y pool has 8 lanes, and first thing in the morning, they are all dedicated as Lap Swimming, and for continuous forward motion from one end to the other.  Not that you can't rest between intervals, just at the ends and not in the middle.  At 7:30 each morning, two adjoining lanes change to Open Swim and you can do "whatever" in those two lanes.   They sometimes put a divider between the deep end and shallow end in that area, which would free up a good portion of the deep end for practicing dives (not off of the blocks, unfortunately) and push off drills - but I would wind up resurfacing right near or at the divider, which is very near the middle of the pool.  That would probably be a pain for the lifeguard who would wind up watching me instead of the people that need to be watched for safety's sake, for real.

I don't mind the continuous forward motion rule since keeping it to that keeps people from doing really goofy stuff in the lap lanes.  Two days ago, there was a woman doing the "dead man's float" with both arms extended, basically taking up an entire lane for that, but moving incrementally so that she was continuously moving forward at a rate of about 10 minutes per 50 yards.  I've never seen that before, but it really belongs in the open swimming lanes, and she probably would have been asked to go there had one more swimmer come out to swim laps.

moebo

That Mariposai pic from Sunday is one for the Masters Hall of Fame.

+ 1 !!!

No time yesterday (Tues) to report my 4 miles, since I stayed late at school to host a fondue party for my seniors, and by the time I got home I was cooked.

I don't hate my job, but I admit I have started to find myself thinking about retirement every day! Especially when I am at work for 12+ hours straight.

Now I have to avoid the temptation to go out for a 2nd day in a row. I think I will head downstairs to my home gym.