Masters Running

Sunday's Daily, 8.27.17 (Read 31 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

I quick scan of yesterday's daily shows that Dave and Evanflein did some good racing. Add me to the list of those who are thinking about Twocat, and hoping for a quick and as painless as possible a recovery for him.

With my DW's aunt's funeral in NY yesterday, we had a long day. The drive from the funeral home in Brooklyn to the cemetery on Long Island (with a procession of 32 cars) should have taken about 35 minutes, but with all the traffic, it took more like 75 minutes. It was sad to say goodbye to Catherine, but at 93, she had had a good and full life. She had 10 kids, 23 grandkids, and 10 great-grandkids, and she loved spending time with all of them. After the services and burial, and after we said our goodbyes, we had a quick late lunch with a friend on Long Island, and got on the road for home at about 4. We made good time (5.5 hours), but there was still a lot of traffic in some areas, and that was very frustrating. It was delightful to get home, listen to the cat complain as we unpacked, and then crawl into our own bed.

I slept in a bit this morning, and headed out at 5:40 for 11.9 RW miles in delightful 53° temps. I discovered that I had worn a hole through the heel and liner of my right shoe (and today's sock too), and that is why I could feel very little stone and pebble that I landed on. I ordered some new RW shoes through our local running store a week ago, so I'll call today to see if they are in. DW and I have some work to do around the house and yard today 'cause we have company coming next weekend, so it'll be a busy day today.

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Thank you all for the good wishes. I have been checking in on occasion. Mostly though I just sleep. With my tongue torn apart I am back on a liquid diet. As I thought would happen I am getting to explore all of the Ensure flavors. May none of you ever be reduced to the same fate.

Holly S. I am sorry but I have never made a falafel. I am tipless.

evanflein I cannot believe you hardly use your big Cuisinart! I use it so much that I have had to replace numerous parts. Heck the plastic buttons have worn through. Make gazpacho! It is way better if you do it than at a restaurant. Skip all of the recipes that use bread as an ingredient. There are way better ones that do not. A pile of vegetables, some herbs and a little tomato juice all into the food processor and in just a few minutes you have gazpacho!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Twocat-  I am so sorry you are going through this.  It sounds just awful and I'm glad you can check in with us.  We are all thinking about you and hoping the recovery is quick- although it will seem endless, I'm sure.

I did what seemed impossible for me this weekend and managed a 3 hour run today, which gives me some hope for my October 1 marathon.  16 miles done.  Not fast, but done.  Did a minute walk break after every mile up to 13 plus, then added a few more walk breaks.  I have a kid in crisis right now (and not the usual crisis-kid) and I am just emotionally drained and not sleeping.   I'm proud of myself for getting this done.  I thought maybe I could manage 2 hours of the planned 3, then maybe could get to 2 1/2, but somehow I was able to just keep going.  60 to 80 degrees while I was out there from 7 to 10, basically.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - that does sound like a long day.

{{{Twocat}}} - hang in there.  Milkshakes are way better than Ensure.  Or even Nutribullet smoothies.

Erika and Dave - nice racing yesterday!  I am such a slacker, I have not raced all summer.

RunnerKSA - nice run, and sorry for the kid-in-crisis, hoping it turns out well.

Erika and Twocat - the falafels turned out delicious.  With the food processor it was easy to get the right consistency, a couple of hours in the fridge and it was easy to make balls to fry.  Sort of like garlicky hushpuppies.  I also made the tahini sauce that is supposed to go with it, but none of us really liked that.  Instead, we used the dressing for street tacos from Buffalo Wild Wings (a mixture of their Garlic Parmisan and Southwestern dressings).  We spread some hummis in the pitas, added the falafels, topped with shredded lettuce and dressing, and yum!  Next time we go to a party or cookout I may make up a tray of the falafel balls and dipping sauce to take.

19.3 miles for me today.  I really wanted 20, but by 19 I was pooped and taking walking breaks, so I gave it up.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tramps

KSA--nice long run.

2cat--so what's your favorite Ensure flavor?

Holly--I love falafels. When I lived in NYC, I used to walk across the Village going from my morning part-time job to my afternoon job and I'd often grab falafels for lunch along the way.  Cheap, fast, and yummy.  I probably ate those two or three times a week for a couple of years.

Planned on about 63 today but my navigator--who will remain nameless--forgot one of the turns for a spur so we realized late in the ride that we'd end up with 55.  Close enough.

BTW, we stopped at a store halfway and I splurged to buy one these babies:

I swear, those things are jet fuel.

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #957

Tramps - that's my DD's favored school morning breakfast, the mocha flavor.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tramps

Tramps - that's my DD's favored school morning breakfast, the mocha flavor.

I think we've found the source of DD's behavior issues.

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #957

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I went 5.4 miles, today.

That's all I've got.  See ya!

spacityrunner

Oh Twocat...I can't even imagine what your going through right now.  I would throw out the ensure and go for the milkshakes 

5 miles in some wicked humidity.  12:30 m/m.  Okey doaky...I'll take it.

Trails Rock!

catwhoorg

Labrat

Rest day

Was supposed to get to the pool early on my own to swim laps, that turned into later afternoon with the kids.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Or, if you're needing the specific nutrition Ensure provides, add it to the milkshakes.  But I'm guessing at this point, it hurts to even drink water. Hang in there, 2Kitty.

KSA - Hoping your kid crisis eases and your kiddo is okay.

2 very slow miles this morning.  It's been an incredibly beautiful day today.  Got up to 74 here in Eureka, which is very warm for us.  Thought I'd treat myself to a coffee and a bagel this morning then go for a walk on the beach.  Got the coffee, then headed over to the bagel shop - which was PACKED - and had been standing in line for at least 10 min when one of the workers put a bagel with cream cheese, cucumbers and Larrupin sauce on the counter and said it was a mistake and free.  I stood there for probably 30 seconds and nobody took it, so I did. I ain't proud!  It would've cost me over $5 for the same thing, not mention I probably would've been there for at least 10-15 more minutes.

After I ate my bagel, I was heading to the beach for a walk when my phone rang.  The Hub was already home!  He got up at 2:00 a.m. and was home by 10:00.  *sigh* No walk.  Oh well.

Back to work tomorrow ~~

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

evanflein

Good score on the bagel, and welcome home Shorty!

Ran 9.1 this afternoon, finishing in a light sprinkle. Legs were totally pooped after yesterday's trail run and all the yard work to clean up the garden, mow the lawn and clean up the big rhubarb plants. What a mess! Looks much better now, but my back was stiff this morning and my glutes, oh dear. No oomph at all and felt fatigued after 5 miles. But, got it done. 51.9 miles for the week and crossed 200 for the month of August with a few days to go.

Memorial service tomorrow for Grace Schaible, a real stalwart in women serving in leadership positions here in Alaska, and my childhood BFF's aunt. She (BFF) is coming up from Seattle with her husband, a rare event!, so we'll be going out to dinner with them after the service tomorrow. Looking forward to it!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Too bad, Leslie.

After a long drive like that, I hope you were able to have a little fun by yourself by putting out the welcome mat as if there wasn't anything else you'd rather be doing.

catw - I used to have my kids and their friends line the edge of the pool and try to splash water inside my mouth when I 'd roll over to gulp down air so I wouldn't panic if it happened during the swims. It did, . . . and I didn't. Other option is to swim fast and stay ahead of it, but I couldn't.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)