Masters Running

Wild West Relay (Read 344 times)

We 6 ladies of a certain age (all over 40) completed the Wild West Relay--Ft. Collins to Steamboat Springs, CO--198 miles with 3 mountain passages at altitude--with an average pace of 9:31 and with an injured runner necessitating 5 of us covering the remaining legs for the last third of the course. My teammates are incredibly gifted runners and extremely compassionate people.  And great runners, e.g., one of them endured pelting hail for miles such that she has pock marks on her legs from the hits she took.  We beat a number of 12 person teams and were 2nd in the 6 person masters teams (and the 1st place team was male).  Great times; glad I'm a runner.

It was fantastic, one of the best experiences I've had running, and I'm totally exhausted and going to bed now.

more later,

grins,

A

Masters 2000 miles

Woo Hoo, Aamos!!  You ladies rocked it! 

But anxiously awaiting a more thorough, and no doubt mesmerizing report.

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #3309

Wow Amy.....198 miles with altitude attitude - to beat a number of 12 person teams - 2nd in Masters (with 1st being men) - and then down one Gal....................that's incredibly awesome!!! Plus for that much running..............9:31 pace is excellent!!! And for you to say it was one of your greatest experiences running, speaks volumes on how much fun this must have been for you.

Your an inspiration to many many people (not just for your running either)

Enjoy your well deserved rest

TimBo

PS: You guys sure have some awesome races in the West....like Tammy's long relay race too. (I don't really consider Colorado that far West, but West from Me)

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Incredible achievement, Amy. What a strong show of camaraderie. Congratulations!
          coastwalker

Hi Aamos,

Congratulations to you all on your amazing run! I guess the rest of the folks at the Wild West Relays now know they shouldn't mess with ladies of a certain age!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

Ultra tough ladies Amy!! Great job!

Can I come too next year?

Francesca

Top 'O the World!

Hey Amy!

Huge Congrats on a really tough, fun, awesome race!! 

WWR was on my radar of races to work this year...until I agreed to cover for a friend"s commitment up @ Xterra in Eldora ~ also gorgimous country!

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                Slo

Wow !

Congrats Aamos. That's a huge accomplishment !

Congratulations Amy----and to your team!

Not surprised that you rocked it.

Rest and recover well now.

Amazing what the ole ladies can do!  I wouldn't expect anything less from you and your tough friends.  I am hoping for a more thorough report if you get the time.  Congrats!  First female ultra masters!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

TammyinGP

Congratulations Amy!! Sounds like a challenging but fun relay and huge kudos on 2nd ultra place!  Relays are the ultimate in running fun-ness!  We had one segment of our relay last wknd that has rain and hail also. Our last minute add-in runner had that leg bestowed upon him! fortunately, our hail was the small pea size stuff and didn't leave any divets.

One of these days, I want you and I to be on a relay team together! Wouldn't that be a load of fun!

Tammy

wildchild

Carolyn

Woo!  Way to go, Amy and team!  Did your team have a name?  Ultra-tough wild west masters women?  Amazing accomplishment, and I'm also looking forward to a longer RR when you've rested up.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Wow!!  You and your friends are amazing!!   I can't wait for the complete report, and hopefully some pictures too!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                            It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

SteveP

Great times; glad I'm a runner.

It was fantastic, one of the best experiences I've had running, and I'm totally exhausted and going to bed now.

more later,

grins,

A

Many times, Amy, I've read your runs and my jaw has dropped....Needless to say, this is one of them.

SteveP

Very cool Amy!

I would love to do a relay sometime. They always seem to be fun events.

Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down