Masters Running

Thursday, August 12 Runs and stuff...... (Read 551 times)

Renee the dog

Got my 12 mi in...MIL arrived. All is well so far.  Best visit yet!  

Everyone had me cracking up yesterday on the daily, but I had no time to type.  Barely got the house whipped into shape before our guests (yes, MIL's BF is here too) arrived. 

Have a great one!!!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

(rubbing eyes)  Gosh, you all seem to wake up pretty early here. 

6 miles with some lite speedwork with my buddies at the track.

Mariposai

Hi Econo!!! waving hands madly here!

Happy is the day we see twocat around here. Please say hi to the Editor for me.

Much to comment, but this is my fly-by-post this morning. 10 miles with 6x5' at a faster pace. Legs, mind and spirit felt good. Sure hope I get an atta-girl- from tselbs for today's run

Have a great day!!! I have a company potluck at lunch. I made tabbouleh salad last night.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Slo

Perch......Great Video !  With entertainment like that you would never need the TV.  Did anyone notice the Garmin plugged into the computer ?

Nice 12 miler Nono........

I had a terrible bike commute home last night. I spent the last 1.5 hrs at work out in the manufacturing area working up a good sweat. About 1/2 way home I started to have that light headed feeling that comes with early dehydration. The only opportunity I could think of for a water stop was my local bike shop which is only 7 blocks from home. Being the bullhead that I am and in a slight rush I rode right by saying to myself....it's only 7 blocks....just keep riding. I was about 2/3rds of the way up the hill when I had no more steam.....keep going.....I can see my house. I pulled into the drive and just dropped my bike on the lawn. Light headed, off balance, weak knee'd.....into the house and finally....water. It took a good 20 mins to shake that and get to feeling like I had some strength again.

A nice slow 7 miler this morning. Tomorrow there is a local 5k at dusk. Tomorrow is forcasted as being the hottest day of actual temp and the hottest heat index temp of the year. Could make for an interesting race.

Keep up the running !

Gym day for me. 

Ever wrap up ice cubes in a bandana and then tie it around your neck?  After they melt, you take off the bandana and can use it as a sweat rag. 

Glad to see you, Twocat!

grins,

A

ps: Tag, not to worry.   Listen to your "dad" and wag your tail proudly.  You have nothing to fear, dogstar.

Masters 2000 miles
            OrangeMat

MM #6177

Never did the iced bandana trick, Aamos, but I have been known to put a soft icepack on the top of my head to deal with hot flashes.

But that's neither here nor there.

Hi everyone! Ooh, taboulleh, sounds yummy, Mari! I just had some fabulous sweet and refreshing watermelon as my post-run snack, and a handful or so of almonds to rev me up for my next run in about an hour or so. Yeah, I'm doing a double today, since I was ready early and my running partner wasn't.

Oddly enough, I understood what a constrained weekly mileage meant, Blazin. It's the running of 60 miles in one week is what I can't fathom.

Enke, I hope your boo-boo is doing better. I second the vote for Aquaphor. I used it on my shin last fall after the excision of my melanoma. There's still a prominent scar there (as you'd expect there to be with the procedure I had), but the actual healing of the site was virtually painfree.

Cute spinning and soaking story, Dave. At the park today I saw a gentleman with a dog out on a long leash, and the dog was literally running circles around the man in the middle of the field. When I was done with my run, the pair approached where my car was parked. I couldn't help myself, I had to ask: did you let the dog at least run in the other direction too so he wouldn't get so dizzy? He assured me that he did. Whew!

Hello to everyone else, new names as well as known. Smile And a very happy birthday to Stumpy!

Oops, almost forgot: my run today. 5.5 moist miles in 55 moist minutes. More on tap with my running partner this afternoon. Enjoy the day, all!

dg.

hi!    I'm going to post before even reading today's thread, or else I'll never get to it.  That is what keeps happening.    

A few things....

Woods Lady, are you still here?   I've been so glad to see you posting again, & running so well!!  Didn't you have a race recently with your DD's?   How is your DH?

C--   happy to see you here too.   & woot!  Big grin.    Calves still ok?    heh.  FWIW, wake up call or not you'd still beat me.  sigh.   ( ;-) )

Enke how's your owie?     

Perch... that video is amazing!  

Yesterday I went to the gym, did 23 min. on the elliptical, & 22 min. on the bike, odd numbers but they reflected Extreme Discipline Smile.   Then maybe 30 min. of weight machines & stab. ball things, which made me happy.  I did some things I haven't been able to do in a long time & seemed to get away with it.    But, the toe (Enke...thanks.  no x-ray yet but I believe it's broken, though not really badly) bothered me a lot last night & still today, so I took today off. 

Jeanne, I'm so happy you're running!   & congrats on a new baby brother or sister for Will!

better go for now.   but want to read about Amy's dream.

Hi Twocat!!

wildchild

Carolyn

Howdy masters,

Work is crazy busy these days, so not much time to post.  I only had 30 minutes to run last night, which translated to only 2.5 miles because the trail is steep.  It was nice, but not nearly long enough to get that running high.  I just don't know how to find more time to run?   It's too hot at lunch and there's too little time after work because DH expects me home for dinner at a reasonable hour.  I wish I was a morning person and lived somewhere it was practical to run in the dark.  Oh, well, fall is coming, and I can return to running at lunchtime.

Happy birthday, Stumpy!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Happy Birthday Stumpy!!

I just had a chance to watch Perch's video - how cute was that!!   Yes, I noticed the Garmin too.  Wink   

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Aamos and OM, thanks for the idea of Aquafor - I think I actually have some.  In the past I have used Vitamin E cream for cuts and it seems to work well.  Jlynne - you noticed my scar from the last fall, yup that's what it was, plus I have a permanent scar on the other leg from the dog bite.

If I really wanted to gross you out I would post a photo of the bandaid I just took off -  I have never seen so much pus...and...it didn't smell too good either, yikes!  I had a lot of dirt in that boo boo so my immune system is working pretty hard to clean it up.

59F, humid, 4 miles - walking through the cursed section

They laid down new mulch/chip wood on my little 0.5 mile section of trail - and it was exactly as Erika so expertly described - like running on a mattress.

After leaving science 10.5 years ago, it looks like I will be getting my name on paper soon - they are in the process of getting it published.  It was work I did in my last 6 months as a post-doc, it was my own hypothesis and I did the original experiments to show the hypothesis was probably right and now my successors have finally (see how fast science moves) done enough work to pull together a paper.  I had written it off but am pleased I'll be getting some credit after all this time.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

Ouch Enke,are you getting all those nice running mementos at Bridle Trails?

Day off from running  today and just 3/4 miles each of the last 2 days. Got a 12h race in Olympia on Sunday, on a a 1.5m loop around a lake, flat gravel trail, I'm going with a couple of friends plus they'll be lots of other MM as well...

The weather forecast says 91 and sunny... and for us here in the PNW that is HOT!! 

No battle plan, just run till I drop..well hopefully not...

Francesca

Missed yesterday's daily. (nice video Perch - indeed a smart dog). I ran just under 11 yesterday morning as my mid-week longish run. Good fast finish at the end, running the last 3 or so at near tempo pace. Then I spent the day at Canobie Lake Park (an amusement and water park for you non-New Englanders) with the family. Took the day off from work. My last day is tomorrow. Start a new job Monday.

I'll run a 5 mile tempo tonight with the club. Missed this morning's workout cuz I was wiped from yesterday.

And I just signed on for Reach the Beach in September. That will replace one of my planned two 20 milers as part of marathon training. I'll be running 3 legs for a total of 22 miles in about 24 hours. I've never done an RTB so looking forward to the experience.

Happy runs all.

To take your mind off the heat, scrapes, and whatever else is bugging you, I give you:

smart dog       ---it's just under 1.5 minutes.

One of the women on my Relay team told us about this video.  It's pretty funny, but her impression was even better.

Tag, what are your thoughts?

Masters 2000 miles

Marathon Maniac #957

Never did the iced bandana trick, Aamos, but I have been known to put a soft icepack on the top of my head to deal with hot flashes.

I recently read about an ice pack made to discreetly tuck into your bra for the same purpose...

Dg – I was just reading that you should not self-diagnose and self-treat broken toes, because if they heal wrong you could end up with chronic pain.  You might ought to get it looked at. 

Enke – congratulations!

Stumpy/Kameele – Happy Birthday!

Franc – that’s hot for any of us...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

dg.

Enke, congratulations!       Will you post a link?

Happy belated anniversary, Karin & Mr. CNY!

Happy anniversary, Lamerunner & Mr. LR!

tw, ((( ))).     I think your grim & determined look would work just about anywhere.   Especially if your shorts cooperate.

... my eyes don't read this font too well.   I read that you had a 20 min. sheet run this morning.  like, instead of vacuuming , you know??     ....   but anyway.   as always, Way To Go. 

Nancy, thanks for the fueling information!  I'm trying to figure out the same thing, maybe we can exchange what we each find out.  Lately, just about anything makes me sick.  I'm not sure what to do about it.   I took in almost nothing for the 15 on Sunday.  I guess other people do that too, but, esp. as long as it takes me, I usually have at least sports drink.    Was saved by the watermelon!  but that won't work for the marathon.

Still getting through yesterday's thread,    so much good stuff!   Wink   Not going to let my cats read it.

Erika I love that picture.      When is your DS's drivers test?

Woods Lady.. I see your race is Saturday.  good luck!

Hi Econo!     more waving madly Smile    good luck to you too.

mta because I forgot.... Happy Birthday Kevin!

Holly, thanks.   I did see my pcp last week., he just said, it might be broken, but you need to be careful with it no matter what it is.   gave me some homeopathic remedies & said I probably shouldn't run on it.  Well, I already had, a lot.  he said to at least be careful.     I expected an x-ray, that's really what I'd called the office about, & was surprised when he said he'd fit me in.   I'm bad about asking for what I want at the doctor's.    I was going to call his office today & ask for an x-ray, but then remembered they're not there Thursdays.   I think, if I knew for sure what & where & how bad it was, it would help me make better decisions about what to do with it.   Seems there's more room for error with a muscle or tendon.   I maybe should have backed right off, but it seemed to be ok, & I have no fluff time in this training period.      I want to do just as much as I can & still let it heal.   not asking too much, is it?   Wink   Anyway, once again, thanks.