Masters Running

40's, 50's, etc. on the Run - Week ending 8/22 (Read 583 times)

Ev, hope you and LMD are continuing to enjoy the outdoors together, or perhaps the indoors

Carol......Oh my!

Arla....nice going on the Daniels plan.

Yes, I'll second the comment on Joe's speedy run...the one with the sub 7 mile.

Mtn...looks like anothr busy weekend in the Rockies.

Les....any bunko winnings?  Glad the Hub went to the Doc...evn though it was about a week late.  Now would be a great time to take especially good care of him.

Hawaii......Carol, that's awesome!  and I'm sure you and the Hubby will get leid when you get there.   (Now we're evn!)

3 miles for me this late evening.

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Les....Glad the Hub went to the Doc...Now would be a great time to take advantage of him.

Dang, Ev.  Now that would be very unkind of me!   Nope, no winnings last night.  Once again I was right smack dab in the middle.  But we did have a great time.  Funny thing - The Hub didn't feel like going anywhere, but because of the way our house is set up, there's really nowhere for him to go except our bedroom - with no TV.  In our "shed," which is my workout room/his paint studio, he set up shop with food, water, a heater, and unbeknownst to me until I had to go out there, got our lounge chair, a sleeping bag, and his pillow - just in case he wanted to go to sleep.    He ended up painting the whole time, but I sure thought it was sweet.

Joe. - Woo hoo! on that lastest fastest mile and 2,000 for the year - so far.  You are a dang running machine.  Congrats!

Carol - First class to Hawaii.  Nice, very, very nice.  A friend of mine just went to Hawaii with her sister first class.  Something to do with her sister's business allowed them to go FC.  I told her she'd be ruined for flying in an other class now.  My boss' hub had flowers delivered to her today for their anniversary - by their travel agent along with a brochure for Maui.  She's been begging to go for years.  We're so happy for her.  She deserves it.

What's going on with The Hub's head is weird.  Besides the continuous headaches, he said it's hard to concentrate, that things are just sort of weird visually.  It's hard for him to describe.  I do know that he has been much more subdued this past week.  It's been . . . well . . . strange.  He is completely incapable of helping me with this car research.  Head injuries are a weird thing.  My family learned a long time ago what can happen with head injuries as my brother has been the victim of 2 or 3 real doozies.

And speaking of car research, I feel like I'm becoming a car research web site.  After researching options re the Honda Accord, Nissan Altima and Maxima, and the Toyota Camry and Avalon, I think the Camry is the way to go.  0.00% dealer financing for 60 mos.  Ends 8-31.  I have a couple of out-of-the area quotes that I'll take local and see if they can best (best? better? ???).  Researching on the 'net is so much easier than going from dealer to dealer and feeling pressured.  Now I just need to get in one and drive it.  That would probably be a very important part of buying a car.

Sorry to go on and on and on . . . . . . and on.  Thanks for listening, friends.

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Les....Yes, it would be most unkind.  That's not what I said.....how'd you do that? 

If I can get my runnin' shoes on (they're quickly wearing out BTW......Joe....Joe....) I'll be out the door for an impromptu (for me) 5K.  The Red Bluff Classic in Freedom, OK.  There's a chance I could set a new world record.  I'll be back to report latr.

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
          Ev - Be sure to report on that new world record.

What do you do when you really, really, really, really don't want to run, but you know you have to?  I'm suppose to be put in 22 miles on the trails today, but I am so, so, so sick of running in the Arcata Community Forest, I'm seriously considering hitting the mean streets of town instead.  I hate running on the road, but it'll be a heck of a lot faster than the forest.  I keep telling myself I have to 'cause next weekend, we may end up out of town buying a car, if all goes well.

Okay - I have to get dressed to run.  I have to get dressed to run.  I have to get dressed to run . . . .

Leslie
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Well.....hate to dissappoint, but no new world record.  I did win AG though, so I got that goin' for me, which is nice. 

Very small race in a very small town.  Freedom OK is a throw back to the old west in the late 1800s.  The main street is lined with barnwood facade buildings, hitchin' posts line the streets and a shootout occurs on Main Street evry year about this time.  The annual Freedom Rodeo brings this town to life each year.  The Freedom Red Bluff 5K was part of the festivities.    The race route takes you from the rodeo grounds across the storied Cimarron River and back through town ending on Main Street in front of the bank.  The bank will get robbed latr today and the lawmen will have a shoot out with the bank robbers right in front of the bank.  http://freedomokla.com/   Click on "events" to learn more about the rodeo and the bank robbery.

After the race I'm heading back home and thought I'd stop into the Alabaster Caverns State Park.  Known for the largest cavern of alabaster in the world it has some nice views and canyon trails.  I've been through the commercial cave many years ago as a kid, but have nevr done any hiking here.  I set off on a trail down into the canyons, down to the creek, past a few wild cave openings and back up and out again.  Very nice and quite strenuous.  I have no idea how your trail runnrs do it.  But I know why you do it.  It was a blast.  Here's a wiki link to Alabaster Caverns http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alabaster_Caverns_State_Park

Good running to all this weekend.

Ultrachick

Hi Everyone! Looks like everyone is busy...I read some of the posts to catch up. Bummer about your car Leslie. I didn't catch the whole event but I'm glad you are OK. Joe has cleared 2000 miles? sweet!! Guess I better get my log caught up to see where I'm at. I'm recovering nicely from the VT100 and ramping the miles back up at a flirting-with-disaster rate...11m the week after the race (I didn't run until Thursday of that week! I tried on the Tuesday but it wasn't pretty and didn't last long), 49m the week after, 68m two weeks ago, life got in the way last week and only got 62m and this week I'll get 90 with a 30k race tomorrow with a 4m warm-up. I'm not going to race the race, it's just a training run, a reason to get my butt moving in the morning :-).   

Speaking of butts moving, as I sit here home alone, (boys are with their Dad) Jack is running the Leadville 100. My friend, Aliza, is out there too running in the Trans Rockies race starting tomorrow and she's called with some updates and I guess he's doing OK. His salt and electrolytes were a bit out of balance at the turn around so hopefully he adjusted his intake accordingly and is feeling better.

I'm doing fine. Busy like always with the boys, work and training. I'm five weeks out from Virgil Crest 100 in NY. This is the same 100 miler I've been doing for the past couple years just with a new name and slightly more difficult course. I had an off week last week but am back on track this week. I'm running in a 30k race tomorrow. I don't care how I do or how long it takes me and I'm going to run 4m before to get 22m for the day. It's at the trail center where I run a lot and on a course I run a lot so maybe that's why I'm uninspired to be competitive.

I've signed up for college algebra this fall. It's been so long I didn't do well on a math assessment test to get into pre-calculus which is a pre-req for physics. I'm rethinking my career path that instead of working towards being a physical therapist work towards physical therapist assistant. It's a two year undergrad program so I'd be done sooner and cost less money. Only problem is the closest program is in NH-an hour and a half away and none of the courses are offered online.

Joe and Leslie will recognize some of this post-I copied and pasted from the trail running thread. Keep up the good work everyone. Sorry I don't check in very often, not that I don't think about you-I've become a Facebook junkie. So befriend me there or send me an email to stay in touch. I have to strike a better balance between here and Facebook.

Take care, Kelly

If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.

Hey Ultra....nice to hear from you!  Good going on the VT100....careful with the ramp up.  And you only got 62 miles in last week.....   It's all relative, I guess....     Good luck with the studies.

Fatozzig..... did you evr get dressed for your run yesterday?  I certainly hope so.......how did it go?

3 easy miles for me this morning in decidedly cooler temps.

I guess it's the backside of the weekend again......Enjoy!

Anothr lost post.....

oops....guess it got posted afterall.......nevrmind.

Hey Ultra... you only got 62 miles in last week.....   

My thoughts exactly, Ev!   Good job on 5k and on the AG.  Sounds like it was a fun time.  And your walk to the caverns sounds wonderful.  

Kelly!!!  How you can put in those kinds of miles and be a single mom, work, contemplate more school - you're a strong lady.  We miss seeing you around here.  I'm not a big Facebook person, but I'll look you up over there.  Shorty was the one who killed my car.  He got some whiplash and pretty good concussion, but he's getting better.

It's 9:00 p.m. here, and the first chance I've had to check back in since my whining yesterday morning.  And yes, I got in 20.5 miles yesterday - all but 6 on the road.   I hate road running, but I got done about 2 hrs earlier than I would've if I'd run in the forest.  Followed that up with 11.5 road miles this a.m.  Yesterday's were just downright sluggish, but oh well.  Tell you what though - whenever I have to put a load of miles in on the road, I always have a greater appreciation for you guys.  My legs are so much more wiped out than they would've been if they'd been trail miles.  Tried another high calorie running food - fruit pies.  Worked out great.  No stomach upset.

Spent about 4 hrs today buying a car.  Between going for the test drive, bringing it home for The Hub to see, then going back and dealing with all the paperwork - whew.  Ended up with a Toyota Camry.  Couldn't pass up the 0.00% interest for 60 mos.  Plus, we used the Costco buying program, which I would highly recommend.  Somehow or another, Costco gets them to agree to selling the car for the dealer invoice price - the price at which they purchased the vehicle - then adding, at least for this car, another $500, plus, of course, tax and license fee.  After over a week of researching and conversing with dealers in other areas, I'm confident we got a really good deal.  And I did it all by myself!  I feel like such a grownup!

Nitey nite -

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

not sure I actually made a post DURING the current week, so thought I better at least drop by and say "Hi y'all" before the work week kicks in fully.

Glad to see you feel like an adult finally, Leslie.  (about time)    I got a Toyota Yaris (smallest they make) just about a year ago and love it, particularly the gas mileage.  I do 100 miles round trip to work each day and have almost 22K on it already.  but at 40+MPG, it's not as painful.

had a nice run yesterday that involved more snowmobile trails.  Of course, when I jammed my big toe trying to tiptoe through a marshy area about 1/4 mile in, it was "What's that damn Leslie got me into?".  but when it didn't continue to hurt, I made it another 3+ miles and had a great time.  So I forgive you.

Too late work is starting full tilt, so I hope I can drop in a bit more this coming week--no known travel at this point.

Happy running all.  And best wishes that life treats you all well for everything else.

eta:  trying to figure out where my paragraph spacing went?   put in two between and see if that takes.  one didn't

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.