Masters Running

Super windy Saturday, 2/19/11 (Read 396 times)

Jlynne—runs are getting longer and going better?  Great combo.

Not me, Tramps Cry

Yay Ben! Please keep up the hard work. We're praying for you!

Thanks so much for popping by and giving us the updates on Ben, Econo!  My heart sings when I hear about the improvements he's making.

Nice LR, Tramps.  Good on you to include some trail clearing.

{{{{{Jlynne}}}}}.  Hope you find a solution AND a more sympathetic MD.

My right leg may be getting sympathetic with OM's, as it felt tight thru most of my LR today.  The winds were howling from the NW and the temp with windchill had dropped to -14°C, so rather than doing a loop that would force me to run uphill and into the wind, I had my DH drive me north and I ran home, up and over the Oak Ridges Morraine.  Managed a fairly even pace, except for about 1.5 miles across a trail that I figured would be easy going.  I was wrong..... there's been horses thru that broke up the trail on one section and the crust on the snow wasn't holding on much of the rest, making it treacherous to do anything more than a slow trot.  My right foot was rather sore by the time I finished... I've had metatarsalgia in the foot for some time and there's a large callus in the middle of the ball of my foot.  The orthotics I had in today weren't much help, so will likely switch back to the metatarsal pads that do.

All in all........ 14 slow and easy miles.

Have a lovely day, everyone!

.....Nancy The road to hell is paved....... run trails!

Good luck on the recovery Ben!! Everything sounds promising thanks for the update Econo.

Mary,

Glad your 11 went well.  I have 11 on the schedule tomorrow.

Where has Erika been?

3 easy peasy in the sun this afternoon.

Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Definitely the right title for today's thread. If only I wore a shirt with big sleeves (dolman sleeves I think they are called?) and I could've sailed home! Hit the roads at 6:30 am for 20.8 miles at about 8:18/19 pace. Some Fred Flinstone moments where my legs were spinning, but I wasn't getting anywhere. I even yelled KNOCK IT OFF into the wind and then started laughing. The wind was bitter but at least the air temp was decent in the low 30s. Plunging back into winter fun tonight. Like Tramps, this is a big mileage week, so I was very happy with how today's run went. Steady, steady.

C-R ---just wanted to add my good thoughts for your Dad and family. Hope the recovery goes well. Mr. CNYrunner has been back in his hometown as my FIL had a heart attack several days ago and needed bypass surgery. He's recovering okay and we are all cautiously optimistic. He's in his late 70s and had a hip replacement not too long ago, so we haven't exhaled completely yet. We'll all go back at the end of next week after I am back from work travel in CA---it's school break week and we were going to have the kiddo stay with friends, but he wants to see his Grandpa. 

((((JLynne))))) One of the running Js is a doctor but not the kind who can help in your case---there are very good ones out there though and I hope you can get the support you need.

Good news OM. Keep on keeping on.

Any news Mary? I saw a Bernaise Mountain dog puppy out walking her mistress.....oh my! very cute and she wanted to play and play.

Nice running Twocat! (and baking)

C-R

Back in the saddle again. Things went well with my Dad. Thanks for everyone's thoughts and well wishes. Ben and Econo - so glad to see things are making headway. We will keep you all in our prayers for continuing good news.

Wind. Reminds me of Winnie the Pooh's Windsday story. We had it easy here today. Slight breeze from our normal. Ran two races in the am. We have a Polar Run with a 3 and 5 mile back to back. Ran the 3 mile in 18:08. Very happy with it since I have done no speed work. One the second run,. I was chatting with another RA type around the corner of the start line and we totally missed the start of the 5 mile. By nine minutes no less. We looked and saw no one and took off. Laughing at ourselves the whole way. Took over a mile to catch up to the trailing police car. Now I wanted to run in mid 30s or less and he wanted to run 37 or less so I offered to pace him as I was feeling good and the race is gun times so my Masters chances were gone. We weaved through all sorts of folks and finished in 36:24 (although the clock said 46:01 - there is that 9 minute head start we gave everyone). One of the more fun races I have had.

Some solid work out there by this masters group today. Well done.

Oh and if anyone gets to Indy, drop me a line and I will introduce you to our running trails network (paved and parks).

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

How could I forget the best news?! D'oh! Awesome news about Ben and yes these next months will be tough at times, but 20% is tremendous---I know this up close.

Hurray Econo! always thinking of you I am.

Twocat, sorry to hear about your wife's mother.  My thoughts are with the whole family.  Econo, it's good to hear about Ben's progress.  Walking the 5K with Mr Econo is fantastic.  Nice 5K for you.  I'm sending you good vibes as you all help Ben with continuing recovery.  CNY, my thoughts are with your family on your father in law's heart attack and bypass.  I hope his recovery is rapid.  C-R, nice job on your two races.  jlynne, good luck to you as you continue to deal with your problems.

Nice long runs for Tramps, CNY (a couple), mariposai, Twocat (a couple), perch, WRFB (progression), hopeful, Tramps, and heme.  Good job on the speedwork for lame and CNY.

This morning, I did a 5K.  I got in a mile warmup in 9:40.  The temp was in the low 20s and it was windy.  Fortunately, the majority of the time, the wind was from the side.  The 5K took about 27:30 for an 8:52 pace.  I ended up 46/65 OA and 2/4 in my AG (65-69).  I had the normal good fellowship with the usual crew before and after the race.  When things wound down, I went out for another 2.9 miles at a 9:59 pace to get 7 miles for the day.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Econo, great that Ben walked the race and remembered the landmarks.  I am sure you have been told about this book "My stroke of insight" by Jill Bolte Taylor.  It took her a long time until full recovery, but I think she was worse off then Ben the first couple months.

You know, it was pretty windy here too.  I didn't want to go out and run.  My tights were in the wash, so I borrowed an old pair of cycling tights from my husband (yuck, I know right?).  They slipped down a bit so I stopped to tighten them and everything was groovy after that.  Had a great run, beautiful sunshine, salty sweat stinging my eyes and my Nike Frees on, which always seem to make me run just a little bit faster.  If I could just lose the weight I've put on, I think I'd be at the same speed I was 2 years ago.  5.7 miles, mostly flat asphalt.

Heemee, nice chilly run.  Now where is Erika?

Twocat, sorry to hear about your MIL

CNY, hope the recovery for your FIL goes well

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

TammyinGP

I had a HM today. A small local one. maybe 50 or so running the HM? quite a few running the 5K. Wasn't quite my day for 13.1 though.  I had a few  issues the last 3 or so miles.   I didn't even hang around to look at my finishing time per their clock or where I came in my AG (last or near last I'm sure).

My plan was to start out at 9.09's for the first 4 miles, then get to 9's for the next 4, then 8:30-8:45's for the remainder. The first 9 miles went according to plan, and then I just lost it. Had some stomach cramping from about mile 9.6 to a little over 10, which I think was due to the electrolyte drink I was carrying with me. A bit too sweet and I think it wasn't agreeing with me. Then my hamstrings and glutes just were tight as a rubberband from mile 10 on. Had to stop and stretch it out twice in those last couple miles.

9.07, 9.11, 9.10, 9.09

8.59, 8.55, 8.51, 8.58

9.12, 9.28, 9.25, 9.32, 9.42 1.23 (for the last .15 per my garmin)

2:01:08 per Garmin and I know I saw the clock at 2:01 when I crossed, but not sure on the seconds.

'

The last 4 miles show me that I need to work more on intervals, I definitely need to get in more LSD's and my core felt real weak, so that also needs to be a focus for me.

Gotta get dinner going, but will be back later to read up on everyone elses day!

Tammy

lamerunner

Hello. great news from Ben/Econo. Makes me wish I did facebook... Great long run Karin! 

Today was kind of "one of  those

days."  I had vaguely planned a long run, but the stars just did not align. DD drove   herself up north last night  after working at her climbing gym, but the departure time kept getting later and she did not arrive until 2 am. I was not happy and slept little. Then I awoke to howling winds, absurd really, and most of the ski lifts on wind hold. Eventually the wind calmed a little and some lifts opened, but the skiing was dreadful, boilerplate with stripes of water ice. Lovely... Skiied a few runs then bailed after lunch.

I finally got a chance to run about 3 pm, tired and frustrated. the first three miles were awful, dead legs and right into the wind, but then I turned onto less windy, pretty road and my legs felt better. I ended up with 12 miles, with some decent uphills  and I ran the hard hill back to our condo pretty easily. Weird. I felt much better mentally after the run, even if the long run did not get done. Maybe Monday...

Where is Erika??

Maniac 505

Thanks so much for the Ben update. 

No run for me on this beautifully sunny, cold, windy day.  Nothing serious, but I spent 1/2 the day in the ER.  I dropped a kitchen knife and sliced my left index finger last night,  it was still bleeding this morning, I didn't really have a clue how deep it was but thought I should get it looked at.

He said it was good I came in,  went to the tendon, but didn't cut the tendon.  3 stitches for a week and some antibiotics (and one handed typing) and I should be good as new.

I am sure everyone is aware of what is going on in Wisconsin.  that is similar legislation to what I ranted about a week or so back.  the biggest difference is that this states legislation only effects about 2000 of us or so,  not the whole state. If the worst of the bills passes I will have to decide if I want to remain a WSF employee (20 years) or a Union member (35 Years in Marine Engineers union).  It's early in the process,  I don't think it will pass, but if it does.  I will choose the union and go back to work on the container ships,  I have been getting my ducks in a row (auto bill pay etc.)  so I can leave 2-3 months at a time. 

I have 15 miles on the calendar.  I'll see how I feel tomorrow. 

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I have been getting my ducks in a row (auto bill pay etc.)  so I can leave 2-3 months at a time. 

I have 15 miles on the calendar.  I'll see how I feel tomorrow. 

that'd be the state's, . . . and our loss, for sure.
                          In the meantime, better start banking those miles.

hint: check with francesca.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

JohnnyV

"Hello", he says, finally slinking over late on a Saturday night. "Do you mind if I come in?"......I know a lot of you folks already. I was John & some numbers back in the CR days and ended up as Johnny over at Kick, where the masters forum of late has dwindled down to just a few. For those that don't know me I'm 60 & have neither speed nor endurance, but I certainly love running. I live in Oregon & run about 2/3 - 3/4 of the time on trails & logging roads out behind my house, occasionally driving into town to run on pavement. Spent the better part of 2008 and 2009 on the DL, but came back last year. I'll try to be on my best behaviour and keep my extreme opinions to myself. Well, at least as long as I can. Smile

Thanks for the update Econo, I think of you & Ben a lot.

Hi Woods Lady, remember me.

Enke, Tet, divechief, and a lot of you east coast / midwest folks.......I've missed you guys too.

14 miles this morning, 13.1 of them in the same half as Tammy, my first half in over 3 years. 1:57 and change, although the wheels fell off at mile 10, resulting in 30 minutes for the last 5K.

Maniac 505

Welcome to the group John, 

I have missed you and a lot of the kick runners. 

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Yay, Johnny's here! Smile