Masters Running

Palindrome Tuesday, 11 May (Read 606 times)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Sue - how about a baby AND puppy picture.   This is my great niece (that makes me sound old)  Stella checking out a puppy:

No time to read today.   Having a really bad day at work and told the boss as much.   I can only take so much ....

No run today as it was raining way to hard.  

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Hopeful, that is so cute, love how the baby is almost cross-eyed trying to see the puppy up so close.  Sorry about your bad day,  hope the sun literally and figuratively comes out for you soon.

I've been thinking about getting a dog.  I really like Airedales, I don't know why, just like the way they look and the description of their personalities.  So on my run yesterday I saw a man with one and I talked to him a bit but he got his on the east coast.  The closest breeder here is up on Vancouver Island, probably a 6 hour trip one way for me.  What to do, what to do....

As Perch predicted, my run today sucked.  First mile awful, dead legs.  Only did 3 miles, 12:10! pace so a true recovery run.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Maniac 505

cute pictures Mary,  hope your day picks up.

I am surprised no one came up with the first Palindrome ever spoken

Madam, I am Adam.    Some times I have kind of wished I had the extra rib. 

Finished my work week this morning.  Just did 8 easy miles.

Dave

wildchild

Carolyn

senile felines 

Yay!   DG is common sense queen of the day! Hey, thanks for the reminder to sit up straight!

Sue, greta job on the weight loss!  Amazing that your skinny pants are too big now - are they still in style? Usually when I discover some old clothes I'd forgotten about, they look so "last century".

Holly, I think High School Musical is dreadful!  DD's school did the play a couple years ago, and she played Sharpay, which was a fun part because she got to be really bossy and bitchy.

Interesting discussion yesterday of paces and perceived effort. During my run today, I was thinking how much the temperature affects perceived effort. Amazing how much difference 10° can make.

Erika, have fun at track Tuesday, and I hope your allergies settle down.

Enke, our dog Ladybug is half airedale, and she has a wonderful personality.  Here's a picture:

The National Weather Service has downgraded our Winter Storm Warning to a Winter Weather Advisory, and lowered the snow prediction from 9-14" to 4-8".  Whew!  That doesn't sound so bad. Yeah,  I know, it's mid May.

The sky is really dark and the wind is blowing, ahead of the storm that's coming.  I had a sproinky 6 mile run at lunchtime, although the sproink was challenged when I reached the halfway point and turned to run back uphill and into the wind.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

dg no we won't be able to do the AF marathon or half this year.  We will be traveling all the way across the country (Oregon / Washington)  10 days before that & will be back 3 days before but have another obligation on race day. 

High school baseball tournament rained out today. Rescheduled for tomorrow, darn, I usually don't umpire on Wednesday because my Wednesday running group but I'll do the game. I hate when life interfers with my running.  

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Here's a word (not letter) palindrome: Says Mom, "What do you do?" – You do what Mom says.

thought you moms would like that, esp. Erika--my good chum from high school said she liked the kids congregating at her house (when I expressed dismay at the hoards usually at her house) as she knew which kids were fine and which ones she needed to be wary of in terms of where she let her kids hang.

Carolyn and I are in the area of America that spring forgot.  I wore mittens on my pitiful 4 miler today and my tulips are just not going to withstand another onslaught.

But Dice-K is looking fine and I'm zen with the world!

grins,

A

Enke, get a shelter dog or rescue dog (if you like a breed, there are rescues for that breed, often.)  Frank wanted me to put that in for you.  He's such a Dogstar. 

Anyone giggling over Tommy Menino's double slip up today?  He meant to call Bobby Orr "iconic" and instead said "ionic" and then went on to describe Varitek as the field goal kicker who won the Super Bowl for the Pats (Tek is the Sox catcher--he meant Adam Vinateri [a South Dakotan!], who is a place kicker in the NFL). 

Masters 2000 miles

In response to yesterday's requests for a race report here is a belated one from Sunday.  Sorry, for being AWOL but I am swamped at work.

Mother's Day morning here in CT was freezing!  Add to that gale force winds and you pretty much have the race start pegged.  The good news was that the last mile in the race was with the wind to the runner's backs.  The bad news . . . well you know . . . the way out.    A friend of my DW and mine said it was like running through a brick wall.  Silly girl!  You can't actually run through a brick wall!  More like running through a honey wall without any of the good taste and fortunately without the sticky mess either! 

My DW finished in a 9:28 pace.  She broke a 9:30 pace and was really happy to find that out just a few minutes ago when the (finally) posted results came out.  It was great being at the race.  A lot of our friends were out there.  The husband of a good friend of mine who is built for running like I am built for basketball was there too!  He ran/walked the course to a new PR in that it was his first 10K and longest race ever!  Got to give the guy credit.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mariposai

A 9:28 pace!!! wow! I better watch out or Mrs. Twocat is soon going to run faster 10ks than me. I think my last 10k was two years ago and I ran it at around 10:00' pace. I am so proud of her. When is her next HM? We should talk her into becoming a Half Maniac!!

Got called in to the ER room tonight. Great experience is ahead of me, I hope.

I can't wait to read about Erika's track experience.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

a very late post of this morning's run.  I guess I caused all the cold weather as I put away all my winter running stuff over the weekend.  So when i woke up to 33º this morning, I had to do some rummaging to get enough out to stay warm enough.  But it was worth it--just over 4 miles in 39 minutes.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Boston, O do not sob   (even if your Mayor is a doofus....ionic Bobby Orr! Oh Aamos that's a scream)

Love the palindromes Walt! 

Rolled back home at 9:30 pm after a day in Syracuse where it was 28º this morning. Lucky me though....another run with SkipAZ at Green Lakes after the work day and before I jumped into the car. 8 miles total at 4:45 pm with 10x 1 minute on and 1 minute off sprints. According to Skip's Garmin we ran at 8:19 pace overall with the speed-ups in the 6:00-6:40 range. Awesome run and this time included parts of the Erie Canal trail and hissing geese protecting their young-uns. Thanks Skip!

Great photos here and lots more that I'll need to go back and read tomorrow. 

ZZZZZZZZZZZ

edited to correct my correction! time to sleep....

Murder for a jar of red rum. 

Sue - Great job on the weight loss!  Good for you!

Holly - Nice TM action.

Mary - Cute picture!  Those puppies grew so fast.  Have they all gone to their forever homes?

Enke - I agree with Aamos.  Look for a dog rescue group.  They have them for all breeds.  Some lovable 4-legged goof is looking for his or her forever home.

Kimmie - I would strongly recommend you get your gall bladder checked by your regular doc.  I had to have mine removed last year after years of issues and not knowing until last year that it was my gall bladder.  Pain in the upper back that spread across my shoulder region.  Sudden "flu-like" feelings that would only last a few hours.  Headaches that would last for a couple of days (literally), nausea.  It was all chalked up to me having a "sensitive stomach" due to ulcer issues when I was a kid.  But a friend finally said it sounded like gall bladder attacks.  Talked to my doc, got tested, had it removed - life has been soooo much better.  He said it was one of the most scarred gall bladders he'd seen and I was very lucky I didn't end up having to have emergency surgery.  That is a nasty one that will leave you down for the count for 4-6 weeks, at least.

I can't believe the weather so many of you are still dealing with.  We had tons of rain yesterday, but the rest of the week, including today, is shaping up to be nice.

This a.m. I got up and fed the zoo, contemplated my running gear, then went back to bed.  Promised myself I'd run when I got home, and even though I don't like running after work, I did it.  6 miles in about 9:53, which included a strong headwind and a couple of good climbs.  I'm happy with that.  Now it's time to hit the hay.

Later, folks -

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Just finished my run after watching my beloved Cavs .

3 mile in a 31:30 ish. Ran my neighborhood route. Legs took awhile to get used to the idea. It is hilly - at least by my standards. And it is very humid. 79% humidity and 70 degrees. Didnt really expect that. 4 miles on tap for tomorrow. I'll do it at lunch if I can get up early enough to get my gear together for the gym.

SteveP

I'm disappointed.  I thought this thread was going to be about the former Alaska governor.

(((((Erica))))) Our loved ones will screw with our serenity. I hope the track was fun

Aaaww Mary.

SteveP