Masters Running

Tuesdaily, 11.16.21 (Read 37 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' Masters,

I'm just getting the daily started before I jump onto my first meeting of the day.

I got my Pfizer booster (on top of the J&J vaccine) yesterday, and just had very minor arm soreness.

6.65 RW miles this morning in very breezy 36° temps. My hammy was a little achy at the end so I'll baby it today and see what happens tomorrow.

Have a greta Tuesday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy Jay, and all to follow...

Just core work today with some stretching....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Thanks for the start, Jay, and good morning, Masters.  Went over to the path for 7.5 miles.  I went off into a neighborhood and despite my best efforts, got a little bit turned around trying to pick up the trailhead to go back.  Finally found it.  Cloudy and 48, so good running weather.  Have both lunch and dinner meet-ups today.  Tonight Ken and I are meeting our tax/estate lawyer to ask a few questions.

I'm following the Rittenhouse trial in Wisconsin with interest.  Jury has the case now.

Have a calm Tuesday!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

dnaff

I called for my Moderna booster yesterday and got an appointment - 4 weeks out!  I had no idea the wait would be so long.  I think they are focusing on getting the kids vaccinated and those of us wanting boosters got pushed back.  As long as someone is getting the vaccine I'm ok with it.

Core work today and some extra dog walking and leaf raking.  We have sunshine and  50's on tap after 4 days of off and on snow showers.  I'd like to get more of the leaves up before winter really hits.  Though it would help if more of them were actually off the tree.  It's taking an extra long time this year for them to drop.  And maybe its my imagination but they seemed extra vibrant this year.

I'm following the Rittenhouse trial in Wisconsin with interest.  Jury has the case now.

+1  Our governor has called out the National Guard to be on stand-by in case this gets ugly.  Can't follow the logic of either the prosecutor or defense on this one...

Thanks for the start Jay - I'm glad you didn't have more residual effects from the booster.

Holly - does your foot bother you while you're working as well?  Do you wear heels?

5.72 miles this morning in the coldest temps so far this year.  It was 23 degrees at 5:30 but no wind which made things much more comfortable.  25 minutes of core and the exercises my PT gave me.  I've got my annual physical this Thursday.  Anyone got some suggestions on how to lost 5 pounds by then? 

Have a great taco Tuesday!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Jeanne - coldest so far this year in Seattle too but only 42F.

KSA - is that a paved bike/ped path that would seem safer from falling than dirt.

ps - I need to ask Leslie if she fell or not on her fabulous fat ass ultra.

dnaff - instantaneous boosters at all the drug stores out here.  By happenstance ours were giving out $50 gift certificates so, if there was any soreness, I didn't notice it.

kicked out of some of the homes, , , 

He's shown up drunk.

We keep hiring him.

. . . stealing booze from a customer.

. . . living in our parking lot for over a year.

I think we're enabling the guy, . . .,

. . we're storing his work truck while he's in jail.

Steve - sounds like you have a little Seattle brewing out there except we give ‘em free housing even in waterfront apartment just purchased buy the city to help the homeless.

It would be neat if JK ran  the JFK.

two miles - last gasp leafing just as I was getting used to all the wind and rain like Seattle’s November’s used to be, clearing skies permitted a sunrise circuit down at the lake just like I used to do this past wonderful summer without running in the rain for 136 days in a row. Maybe it will do it again, . . . but until the end of March this time.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Thanks for starting us off, Jay.

Holly, I think you and I are both getting outpatient procedures on the same day -- Nov 29? I'm starting to get a bit concerned about the major COVID case uptick, at least here in Michigan. I had no qualms up to about a month ago, but am starting to wonder how advisable it is to get something done in a hospital that is starting to be overwhelmed with incoming patients. Not in the same area of course, but have you had any thoughts on this? But I've been putting this off for years now and with my recent booster I'm about as protected as I can be...

Rode 19.1 miles on the trainer this morning, taking a favorite route in Virginia, just off of the Blue Ridge Parkway. That's one of my favorite parts of the country to be in, and I enjoyed watching the scenery if only on a 12" screen. It starts out with a hugh downhill where I broke 40mph (really spun out at 120+ rpm with my gearing) and averaged 20+mph over the first third of the route. But then the hills started coming, although nothing too difficult, but my overall average dropped to 14.6mph as I had to take it easy in order to make the distance.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Tramps

Good morning (barely). Thanks for the start, Jay.

Steve--that workplace of yours...wow.

Leslie (and other country-ish fans)--Recently came across a new-to-me artist, Emily Scott Robinson, I thought you might like. Sweet voice and some good writing on slice-of-life storytelling songs. First few cuts on the "Traveling Mercies" album are a good place to start

In the 20s again this morning, so I waited until mid-morning to get out for a ride.  20.4 miles.

Be safe. Be kind.

Mornin', Glories -

Thanks for the start, Jay.  Tell that hammy to behave itself.

KSA, Jeanne - I thought it was interesting how they picked the 12 jurors who are now in deliberations.  Never heard of a lottery for that before.  In CA, alternates are seated, but they aren't part of deliberations unless someone in the initial 12 can't continue.

Tet - No falling on Saturday.  The first loop is so rooty from the redwood trees, there was a lot of power hiking as opposed to running or there's no doubt I would have face-planted at some point.  And all the foot bridges were slippery with wet, mushy leaves.

Again, nothing for me today.  I showed up on the wrong day for my massage, so I go back today at 4:00.

And just because I'm still riding a bit of a high from Saturday, here's the run profile:

May be an image of outdoors and text that says '1,400 1,200 1,000 800 600ft 200 10.0 mi Cadence Avg Heart on 06/mi bpm 15.0mi 140 pm 20.0mi Your Recent Activities 25.0mi 30.0mi Strava 2021 Strava About About Features Subscription Policy Terms onditions ÛMas Follow Facebook Twitter'

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

mrrun

Leslie - enjoy the high - you earned it both for the run and awesome report. great work.

Jlynne - let me know if you can lose the 5 lbs - I have pcp appt in 3 weeks.

lots of boosters available around here.  happy no one's having the reaction I did (headaches)

Had dentist appt this morning, so will walk this afternoon.

have a greta day!

marj

Leslie- I have never heard of spinning a tumbler and picking the deliberating jurors that way.  I heard some commentary on it and it seems to be a Wisconsin thing.   While I am certainly  not a fan of a 17 year old showing up with an assault weapon, my legal opinion (not having heard all the evidence) is that he should prevail on his self defense claim.  We shall see.  My entire legal department (back in the day) was wrong about both OJ Simpson and Clarence Thomas.

Tet- I rarely run on anything but pavement.  There are some packed dirt trails in Colorado that I manage to do with minimal damage, but I'm not a trail runner.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly - does your foot bother you while you're working as well?  Do you wear heels?

When I first stand up after sitting, I have to brace myself for the first couple of very painful steps, then it is okay after that.  Some days my foot hurts more than others, and this does not seem dependent on if I walked or ran on it that day.  Evenings are almost always pretty painful.  And I do not wear heels anymore, although my work shoes have a slight lift, which the doctor said is better than completely flat.

Roch - my surgery is on the 24th, the day before Thanksgiving.  I had two of my shoulder surgeries during the height of the pandemic, the first one before they had vaccines, so I am not terribly worried.  The hospitals keep the Covid patients quite separate from the surgical areas, from what I have seen.  Plus, after 3 shots of Pfizer, I am as protected as I am going to be.

Went over at lunch and got fitted for my post-surgical boot, and also picked up (for $225) the ice chest wrap thing that plugs in and circulates ice water around your foot.  I am supposed to wear this 24/7 for the first 72 hours, then every other waking hour and the whole night for days 4-10, which actually won't happen because I am not carting that thing into work, so it will just have to be non-work hours at that point.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

BTY

....here's the run profile:

May be an image of outdoors and text that says '1,400 1,200 1,000 800 600ft 200 10.0 mi Cadence Avg Heart on 06/mi bpm 15.0mi 140 pm 20.0mi Your Recent Activities 25.0mi 30.0mi Strava 2021 Strava About About Features Subscription Policy Terms onditions ÛMas Follow Facebook Twitter'

BTY

I never posted yesterday after my swim workout, which was made more difficult because 1) I'd worked out the upper back, shoulders, biceps and core at lunchtime, and 2) I made the mistake of offering to share my lane.  I should not be surprised anymore when someone who is offered a lane to share acts like they are insulted, without so much as a "hey, thanks!"   But yeah, 10 minutes into my swim I offered to share my lane with the one man that was waiting for a lane, and for the next 30 minutes he proceeded to be a less than courteous lane partner.

I did ~12 minutes each of breaststroke, backstroke and freestyle, pull only, with the pull buoy, for the first ~mile, then swam 4x100 at a 1:30/100 pace plus 1:30 between reps, one 200 yard freestyle in 3:13, then 200 yards of kick board drill, flutter kick.  I had planned to insert 200 yards of flutter kick between the pull buoy reps, but out of courtesy for my lane partner, I delayed until he was gone.  I won't stop offering to share a lane with people but I think I will start (politely of course) speaking up about courtesies and letting them know that if they can't stay on their side while sharing the lane, don't accept an offer to share.  Ironically, just after I finished swimming at about 4:53, a class that was not listed on the daily schedule filed into the pool and began their exercises at 5:00; so if the Jamoke had waited to get his own lane, until I was done, he would have gotten a grand total of 7 minutes in his own lane.      

I share the experience with you all so you can marvel with me that my wife has managed to stay married to a complainer like me for 30 years now. 

Today's swim workout will likely be more of the same routine with a little more yardage, a little more flutter kick, some underwater dolphin kick drills, and less complaining afterward.

mrrun

3+ miles power walking in the cold, but very sunny day definitely a New England fall day with lots of yellows, browns, and occasional reds peeping through.  The reflections of the trees on the river added to my enjoyment.

holly over 10 yrs ago my brother had a hip replacement on the day before thanksgiving.   Everything turned out great with one exception - the main meal moved from his home to his daughter’s & has never gone back!