Masters Running

Tuesday 2/15 Daily (Read 469 times)

Mariposai

I’m glad that my favorite activity is somehow synonymous with spring. But maybe, just a little, I wish it were me in that picture. Maybe I feel somewhat slighted by seeing this “hobby jogger” on the front page. Really, didn’t I earn my right to be there? I’m out there day in and day out. In the rain and the wind and the snow, I’m out there. I keep a watchful eye out for those distracted drivers. I listen carefully to the sound of the car behind me, ready at any moment should I sense he’s crossed the lane and is heading towards me. I’ve taken my tumbles on the ice, out run unleashed dogs and even stopped to push a car or two out of a snow bank. Oh, and one time I chased down a couple cans of soup that got away from a lady bringing her groceries in.

Then again, I’m not a story. There’s no trek across the United States in my future. There’s no cause that I’m raising 10’s of thousands of dollars for. I’m not an Olympic hopeful. I’m just one of those idiots that some people complain about. Running down the middle of the street in the pre dawn morning making the dogs bark while normal people are doing normal things. Like the guy on Perch's round-about.

There’s no one else that I’d like to be right now at this moment than one of those idiots! And while I’m at it…let me acknowledge all of you, my Master Friends and Runners…you idiots!

Slow, this is a master piece. Want an agent, WinkI know one...and a GOOD one at that.

I loved what you wrote here, I loved it so much that I hand copied it on my journal.

I love being your "idot" pal.

The training plan said that today should be an easy day (I am an obedient child as you well knowJoking ): I did just that... so 3 miles easy plus 40 minutes moving weights around. I am starting to enjoy the rowing machine.  

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

I am back from my mini vacation.  I forgot my laptop on the kitchen counter which pretty much deep sixed doing any work.  Yes, that seems "good" but believe me it is not!  I have spent 11 of the past 13 waking hours trying to catch up.  I am almost done with one piece but there is still another.  Worse, it is all horrible work stuff that I try to handle in little bits every day.  Ok, ok, I know enough complaining.  I managed 7 miles today;which explains the missing two hours.  It was supposed to be 10 but I barely convinced myself to go out at all.

hopeful4ever sounds like the dogs thought they were playing a pretty funny trick on you!  On the happy side they did reappear!

stumpy77 my deepest sympathies at the loss of your mother.  My heartfelt wishes go out to you and your family in this very sad period.

Holly S.  good luck with your DD team's continuing its win streak tonight!

Jlynne look at the bright side this running hiatus will end and you will be as good as new.  I know it is tough now, and will be all the way through until you can run again, but it will end and you will be fine.  As I told people, my leg issues were life style threatening, not life threatening.  Heck, after awhile even I may have started to believe it!  [editor: Not a freakin' bloody chance!]

C-R I hope your dad comes out just fine.  You are right we do think those closest to us are indestructible.  If only it were true . . .

Hemerocallus let me offer my welcome to you as well!  Anyway this is the board for the cool runners!  Those folks at KR well . . . Clown

Slo_Hand I suspect most of those that say we are "idiots" are really thinking, "Boy I wish I could get myself to go running and drop these <fill in a big number> pounds, get in shape and maybe see some places I can only dream of now."  In my book we are the sane ones.  As to the weather . . .  I look at this way after this past winter nature owes those of us in the north east an early and very, very nice spring.  This, of course, has to be followed by a spectacular summer, fall and winter 2012.  What you are getting now is just an initial interest payment.  What do you think the odds are of collecting the rest?  I sure do need it!  Smile

tselbs yep, when the temperature changes dramatically this time of year you are pretty much hosed in terms of dressing "right."

divechief it is just another case of why Facebook "friends" are anything but.  Be glad you do not really know this guy.  People that engage in shady financial dealings can cause others a lot of harm.

Mariposai when the plan says easy you really do not mess around do you!  Big grin

winejunky I bet you never see this, but I want to welcome you as well to RA!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Slo - I loved what you said.   You write well, and I appreciate the sentiments.

HI Nancy.  do you ever get down this way?   Right now there is a huge cougar who appears on my road, so I am running inside.