Masters Running

Monday's Daily, 3.26.18 (Read 38 times)

According to Matt Paxton, hoarding - serious mental illness hoarding - is about loss, and grief.  People are trying to fill a hole in their lives and their hearts. 

This was definitely my dad.  By the time he died in 2015, my mom had been gone for 26 years.  His heart never even came close to healing.

Tammy - Keeping fingers crossed re your appts!

Anzlo - We need to clean our carpets again, and the thought of moving everything - 

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Hey folks. Trying to take an extended break from all social media stuff, but I've been lurking here. Also dealing with some injury things, but finally went to my primary care doctor who has me doing PT twice a week. It's helping. A Little.

I popped in because all of the comments about hoarding made me think of my mother. She wasn't really a "hoarder" per se, but saved weird things that most people toss when they're done with them. When we cleaned out her apartment after she died, we found plastic shopping bags filled with plastic shopping bags, bags of twist ties from bread wrappers, like a zillion empty Cool Whip containers, and bags full of rubber bands. I'm trying to say "let it go" and not follow in her footsteps

Anyway, "hi" to all of you. You've been missed. Carry on...

bioguy

Hi everyone

Tramps; thanks for the kind words. My daughter was actually in my AP Bio class. She called me 'Mr Evans' even though everyone in the class knew she was my daughter Occasionally she'd forget and call me 'Pops", I never asked her to be, but she was always a very focused, studious youngster and that carried over to college and then med school.

Three seniors missing school today. All are in my physics class; they were drinking/driving and crashed. Fortunately none seriously injured though the driver has a concussion (his second this year, first was playing football). Oh why do teen boys have to be so dumb. A biology professsor at the University of Maryland put it this way: "Testosterone makes you stupid."

5 tortuous recovery miles today. Tired legs! Tomorrow is supposed to be 2x3miles with a 1 mile recovery in between.

Tailwinds!

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

31F

151 miles

Hahaha!

Here is my real mileage

46F

3.03 miles. Pace unimportant. Because I was strolling with dear grandson.  The students are on Spring Break. So we walked to TC Williams (Remember The Titans) and did a lap around the park. Then we walked around the neighborhood. We saw robins and squirrels and lots of cars. We saw kids on scooters and bikes and skateboards. I think they went to 7-11 for Slurpees.

Bioguy. It's nice before the testosterone wreaks havoc. Girls go through similar self destruction sometimes when their hormones rage.

But look! Medical school and match day! Congratulations to your daughter. What dedication! (Says the former L&D RN) Right Deez? The current L&D RN.

Yes. 2018 has been pretty wonderful. I feel fortunate.

Thanks for the encouragement,  tomwhite et al. I appreciate you all.

Hoarding. Our family is the opposite. We are purgers.

Oh. BTW. Tramps! How come I did not get invited to Falcon Fixer's Richmond marathon? Didn't we have fun cheering one year?

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

...speaking of hoarding,,,

,,,,,,,,,,we just found a Bag of Buttons my Grandmother had given me-

turns out

1-it has the buttons off my GrandFather's WW1 uniform

2-the tabs off a Tanker's Jacket,,,,,very cool

3- a French Verdun Medal ''They Shall Not Pass'' (in French of course)

around

the same time

she had given me a bracelet my GrandFather had given her made of Pre-Revolution Tsarist Rubles..........how cool was that

(until MyCrazyBrother got  hold of them)

but

I had never notice that Bag of Buttons

until this week

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

MikeE - Why do you run faster than the target pace? How's the new job going.

Because I'm an idiot.  The new job is going well.  Starr--I wish I could answer your first question better but I can't.  I know I shouldn't push harder than I should.  I know I'm flirting with an injury that will knock me out.  But when I run so relaxed and so effortlessly, I just can't stop.

Tammy, I hope everything is okay.

It is great to have Jlynne pop in!

I went 9 miles...in rain and sleet...that included 2 x 3 miles at "strength" pace.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

10.5 @ 8:03

I've got into the habit of icing my Achilles after every run, it's helping.

Hoarding; my Dad was kind of a hoarder, but everything had a rational practical purpose. Sure, there was a 4' tall stack old newspapers, but they weren't precious, they were used to start fires in the woodstove. He would also save used nails, pounding them straight again before putting the in a coffee can. And he would save scrap lumber, and jars. You get the idea. We determined it was because he was a kid during the depression, and had that attitude that you could not waste anything. He died about 5 years ago, and we must have cleaned 20-30 coffee cans full of rusted together nail balls out of his shop. My Mom is still kicking, and she's got the opposite attitude of a hoarder. She says that she wants her house to "be like a motel room" by the time she dies; with hardly any "junk" except for furniture. She's always forcing a box of photos or something on me every time I visit! There's no family heirlooms, for several generations we've bought land instead of jewelry. The 'heirlooms" are thousands of acres of private timberland and several residential and commercial properties.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Henrun

Been having a flare up of Achilles tendinitis, so no run today. But did 20 minutes of elliptical, 10 of indoor cycling and some weights.Will try to get in a few miles tomorrow if better.

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, got in 7 after work then taught my spin class.

Bioguy, congratulations to DD!

Tammy, also hope it's nothing serious.

Have a great night everyone!

Mariposai

Keeping with the run-every-other-day thing for awhile, so today is a gym day.

same here.

Hey, how about Victoria, BC for a fall marathon meet up?

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

,,,,,,,,,,we just found a Bag of Buttons my Grandmother had given me-

turns out

1-it has the buttons off my GrandFather's WW1 uniform

2-the tabs off a Tanker's Jacket,,,,,very cool

3- a French Verdun Medal ''They Shall Not Pass'' (in French of course)

Okay, that's cool! Love old buttons.

Surly - Nice "heirlooms."

When my grandma died, my aunt went through my grandparents' house and took anything she could find that she thought was valuable.  My grandpa was too distraught to stop her.  After she left, he sent me an old, very delicate gold watch with a couple of rubies that he said belonged to my grandma.  I've never had it looked at value-wise and it's so small I could never wear it, but I love it.  I also got my grandma's wedding ring set.  It's nothing fancy, no diamonds or anything, but it means the world to me.  Then when grandpa died, it fell to me to clean out their house and I was able to bring home some old cookware and things of that sort that I remember my grandma using.  A couple of years ago I gave my niece my grandma's old ceramic pie plate, and then this last Christmas I gave her a crocheted dress that had been my mom's when she was little and in which my mom had taken a picture of my niece when she was little.  She has the picture somewhere, but didn't know the dress still existed.  It was pretty cool to watch her face when I gave it to her. 

45 min of core/ST after work.  Always feels good.

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

evanflein

same here.

Hey, how about Victoria, BC for a fall marathon meet up?

Been there, done that. I ran Victoria with Mustang Sally, Labduck, and Sans Souci. I highly recommend it, if it's the same course. And I ended up taking today off. Have some inflammation and soreness in the leg tonight. Beyond frustrated.

SteveP

FIL was a hoarder. Hanging on to things is the most frequent topic of the arguments that DW and I have.

Yay!!! A Jlynne sighting!! Oh happy day.

SteveP

Tramps

Oh. BTW. Tramps! How come I did not get invited to Falcon Fixer's Richmond marathon? Didn't we have fun cheering one year?

Yeah, you missed a good one.  MikeE had a helluva day, too.

Be safe. Be kind.

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Remember? That one cheer?  "GO BLOODY NIPPLE MAN!"

Yeah, you missed a good one.  MikeE had a helluva day, too.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."