Masters Running

Friday Runs and Funs (Read 444 times)

Ribs    My heart feels good just thinking about your victory!   Congratulations!   And tell the Saint  congratulations, too.  I have been in her situation, and she deserves the name Saint. 

As for retirement:  I have learned how to run.  This is anniversary time for me too.  On Aug 15, I will be running with my three daughters, (Econo being the "real runner" in the family) the Scandia 5K.   Last year I just showed up and walked/jogged that race with two of them, and got hooked.  Decided to "learn" to run, afer 50 years of no running.  Have a good day, everyone.   Woods Lady

Renee the dog

Very impressive year Ribs.  I think you surpassed everyone's expectations.

Not mine.  I knew he would be kicking my arse very quickly after surgery, and he sure was! 

Someday, I'm gonna be just like Spareribs.  But curvier.

I hope.

Nothin' for me today yet.  Got a lot on the schedule.  Will report back if any workouts get done. 

Enke, Bayside's been out there all week, and I haven't heard a peep about the weather, and I know many of the evening functions have been outside or in non-air conditioned warehouses.  Guess living in our H & H (without air conditioning)  has toughened him up.  Not easy for a former Bay Area resident!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

I love public speaking.......And I've been told several times that I have a great voice for broadcasting.

I've been told I've got a face made for radio.

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

I love public speaking.......

I always knew there was something a little off about you.   Cripes, I turn beet red, I sweat, I shake like crazy.  Once, I had to give the inspirational talk at the beginning of one of our state conferences.  I started shaking so bad, you could actually see the podium shaking 'cause I was hanging on for dear life.  Afterward, our state president, who was standing behind, said she thought I was going pass out and she was going to have to catch me.

Ribs - CONGRATULATIONS and Happy Anniversary.

I gotta finish this later . . . . .

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Slo

I always knew there was something a little off about you.  

There ain't no little something about it !

I'm one of those overly confident types that comes across as being arrogant.......It's a tough cookie to swallow.....I know how I'm precieved but I have a difficult time changing that part of my personality.......The overly confident part is what helps to stand up in front of a bunch a people and speak.

Being right all the time is probably what makes me overly confident........

Enke, that is quite a story. Now you can see why the growth of the southern-tier states in the last few decades was fueled (pun intended) by the energy required to run all the air conditioning.

Aamos, this particular 10-miler's strategy is dictated by the course, weather, and crowd size. With 5000+ people starting at once, a planned pace in the first couple of miles is hard to maintain. You then have to plan for the only sizable hills, which occur right at the midpoint. But the weather is the biggest factor if you have trouble handling heat and humidity (likely, but not always). So I think that a general strategy for a 10-mile race in Michigan in August is not possible to formulate.

And on retirement, I have not regretted it for an instant, even though I thought I'd miss the work. My original plans were to work part-time, but with the economy and auto industry imploding right after I left, that never came about. Now I don't think I'd go back in even if I got a call.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

dg.

hi everybody!

busy day.  

Ribs, heartfelt ( Smile  really)  congratulations to you.   You make me smile.

Doug, I'm really happy you haven't regretted it.  thought you might.

plan today, a mile ea w/u c/d @ recovery pace, 3 miles @ 10k pace.  wish it was faster (broken record i am) but it went ok.  1.28 mile @ 3.1 @ 9:51. 1.12 @ 10.25.   i don't look at the pace while I'm running, maybe I should. 

back to work.  

happy friday!

evanflein

Congratulations, Spareribs! Or shall we say (as I think Tetsujin called it awhile ago), Spareparts. You've had an amazing recovery and should be very pleased with your progress.

Enke, I understand completely. We haven't gotten as hot as Seattle (thank goodness!) but certainly one of the warmest July's in our recorded history. And nobody that I know of has home A/C either. And most of our houses are built to grab and conserve heat! So yeah, it's been hard, especially sleeping. Add to that the smoky air and you almost hate to open windows! But we'd just really suffer with them closed, so... I think we have a chance of rain this weekend, so keep your fingers crossed!

Hey, speaking of the smoke, it's looking lighter out there now! I might get an outdoor run at lunch after all!

Yeah, I guess I'm going to Boston. Not sure how that happened. Thanks for the push, Holly.

Marathon Maniac #957

Yeah, I guess I'm going to Boston. Not sure how that happened. Thanks for the push, Holly.

Thanks for helping me get there, too....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

6.0 miles at a relatively late 5am.  10:05 pace.

I plan to thoroughly enjoy retirement with no regrets.  We have very long lists of all the things we'd like to do, try, see, accomplish, learn etc, but our commute and long work hours leave no time left for anything but running and too little sleep. I have no desire to keep this up for any longer than necessary at this point.  There is so much more out there for us, and I want to experience it while we're still healthy. 

Congrats Ribs!  You've had a smart recovery.

I hate public speaking, but I'll argue enthusiastically with anyone one on one.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

I'm one of those overly confident types that comes across as being arrogant...... Being right all the time is probably what makes me overly confident........

Oh man!

Enke - My inlaws are in the Portland area and have been dying.  They actually left Yuma, AZ, to get away from the heat!

Well, this morning's been a whirlwind of activity.  Finally got irritated and started telling people what needed to be done to close this office, as opposed to saying something along the lines of "we really need to get such-and-such done."

However, my predawn/pre-work activities consisted of 40 min of cycling while watching "Enemy of the State" (love Gene Hackman!), and about 30+ min of core/upper strength.  Somehow I strained a muscle in the back of my left hand, so I couldn't do some of the weight lifting.  Even the twisting motion of opening my tube of mascara brought on an "OW! Holy crap, that hurts!" It's the weird little quirky moves that set it off.  Darn, I can't fold laundry or wash dishes.  Too bad, so sad.

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Mariposai

I ran 9 miles today. I ran the middle three miles at tempo in honor of the wiseone's heartaversary (8:30ish) Of course, I was very emotional during this portion of my run since it is thanks to him and his new heart that I am able to run at this tempo pace today). I often wonder if I delayed his recovery time with all the heartache I gave him during my spring marathon training. I am sure I made the new HR go higher than is recommended more than in one occasion. So, ohhhhhhhhh wiseone, here is a healthy pie for you.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

4.2 mile recovery run in the briefest of "clear" windows of relief from the smoke. Truly amazing, I looked out the window at about 11:30, and the smoke was gone. Just clear air and wonderful sunshine. Wow! So I waited till as close to noon as I could to head outside and while it was very windy, it was warm (75F) and beautiful out! Took off down my favorite roadside trail and just enjoyed the day. When I turned around though, I could see a little hazy stuff sneaking into the trees, and by the time I got back, it was really smoky again. Just an incredible thing how this smoke moves around like this so fast. By the time I got back to my desk, it's thick and pervasive again. The air quality index went from "very unhealthy" to "moderate" to "very unhealthy" again all in a span of less than 2 hours. Glad I got my run in when I did!

Here's an amazing picture of the smoke columns from the fire 30 miles south of us. This was taken by my coworker on Monday, July 27. The "hill" you see is called Wood River Butte (yes, I know, it's not truly a "butte"), and the fire is the Wood River 1 fire, currently around 90,000 acres. The fire is actually behind (south of) the butte. This is the cause of a lot of our smoke, but this day it was rising straight up and we had clear air around here.

45 miles on the mountain bike, then 8 miles running. I think I earned my dinner tonight.

Ribs-Happy anniversary and great recovery. I will race you when you feel up to it.

Erika - Great picture.  Beautiful, in a destructive sort of way, huh?

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance