Masters Running

Friday, June 6th Daily (Read 428 times)

Yesterday's morning track and road run, coupled with the evening bike ride, left me a bit sore this morning. Plus the r.s. worked nightshift (some 24 hours test thingy)...Anyway, I rationalized my way into sleeping in... I hope to go to the rec. center later. Long run tomorrow. Craney, I, too, loved the "While You Were Out" photos... hope they are received well. If not, we're always looking for good teachers like you down here.... Aamos, Yeesssss! Ribs, Them's some high scoring games we seem to be trading, huh? Hopeful Mary, Everyone at work continues to oohh and aahh over the puppies... we love watching them blossom.
    LaVita
    seemomgo

Vista, very nice start to the day! Hooray Amy!!!! Thanks for keeping us posted. Continued prayers....... Bob: thanks for the photo of Amy and DH - good juju all the way! Teresa: healing vibes to the foot. Foot problems are no fun. Good for you in having it looked at early on. Cranium - that is really funny! I hope the pincipal has a sense of humor! Hi Rosie!! I am actually going out for a wonderful run this morning - we've had two days of rain and hail and even SNOW up where Wildchild is!!! By the way, Carolyn ---how's that job? You are south of me - I am off of Bowles by Columbine HS. Happy Friday!
        Came home from work yesterday with a sore throat and it's worse today...so no running for me today....lookin' forward to tomorrow though... have a good one...
        Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip

Marathon Maniac #957

Enjoying the readin, but no time to comment. Trying to finish and get out of work early to go home and paint my kitchen. Smile No run today, no x-training, nada. Leg pain from yesterday's run calls for rest, and I have lots to do. CNYrunner - I did make your chicken salad this morning (while I was slacking on my workout) and will have some tonight, when it is nicely chilled - thanks! Amy - yay!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai

Yesterday afternoon I met up with our new traveling PT for a track w/o. She is a lovely young lady who is aiming for her second marathon in the fall. Having someone to run with is a luxury for me. We decided to run once a week together while she is in my town. Well, this is what I did: 400= 1:57 800= 4:02 1200= 6:12 1600= 8:08 1600= 8:10 1200= 6:15 800= 4:03 400= 1:53 Plus w/u and c/d= 7 miles Since yesterday was my first double day in months (I ran an eze 4 miles in the morning) I am pretty pleased with the result. Next time I go to the track I will aim at more consistency among the laps. Having the legs fresher would probably help. Total miles yesterday= 11 miles Butterfly hugs to all you are Resting. Off to buy last minute gifts for our son. We just found out that he will be going to Hyogo. Tet or anyone here who have been there, any cultural hints would be greatly appreciated. AAmos and her husband, you are in my heart today.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

I Can Go The Distance

Good Morning Everyone, Amy: Read your post last night. Glad to hear that DH is doing well, I will keep you both in my prayers. Vista: Thanks for the great start as usual. I have an NBA question for you, or anyone else who might know, that I do not know the answer to. Bill Walton (Portland and Boston) and son Luke (Lakers 2008) have now both played in the NBA finals. Have there been any other father/son duos to have played in the Finals? 7 easy miles for me today in 1:10:00. We seem to have alot of folks today who are nursing injuries or who are in need of rest. Hope you all recover quickly. I will be thinking about each of you today and praying for you as well. Have a great day everyone. Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

Jlynne

Good morning Boomers. Rest day here, though I did cut the grass and plan on walking 18 holes this afternoon if the rain holds off. Warm, humid and windy here for the past few days and predicted for the weekend. I'm not used to running in this type of weather yet - will take some getting used to. Amy - good news! We'll keep your DH in our thoughts that he continues to do well and will be back running again soon. Teresa - good luck with your doctor's appointment. Hope whatever is wrong can be easily fixed. Holly - what color did you decide on? Wildchild - how goes the commute? Is it worse in the morning or afternoon? Living in a relatively small town, I'm not sure I appreciate you people who have long commutes to work every day. We get upset when we're delayed for 10 minutes by a bridge or train! Lyndenrunner - hope the sore throat issue resolves itself quickly. There's nothing worse than a summer cold. One more race scheduled for this summer - a 10K next Saturday. Unfortunately, that's the same day my son decided to get married! Any ideas on how I can "do it all" next weekend? Have a great Friday, everyone. Jeanne
                Dave59

Breakfast out with a friend at 7:00. Physical therapy at 8:30. Eye exam at 11:30 (and I need the next stronger magnification.) Lunch at 12:30. Took the rest of the day off and don't plan on doing anything. Smile Packet pick-up between 4-7 tonight. 5k tomorrow morning. Just a fun run for me although I would like to improve over the the last 5k in April. I am down 5-6 pounds and in better shape, but it's going to hot and humid tomorrow which will offset that.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Total miles yesterday= 11 miles Butterfly hugs to all you are Resting. Tet or anyone here who have been there, any cultural hints would be greatly appreciated.
                    Gracias posie. that's totemo yokatta (very good) that DS gets to go to Hyogo. It's a prefecture about halfway down the island from Tokyo and southern island Kyuushuu. Capital Kobe has by far the most westernized (and international) population while retaining all of traditional Japan. Being right on the sea, lots of good seafood too. Rainy season now with hot/humid starting at the end of the month. Even though DS's only over there a month, I bet he eats more than 100 different species of fish from his host family. (however, at first they will think he just eats meat so he'll have to put up with a lot of Kobe beef! Smile - not too long though as it will be very expensive for them if he says he likes it too much). Kobe is Seattle's sister city and participates in our annual Seafair Parade at the end of July. More widely known as one of the first ports to open for trade with Western countries following the Meiji Restoration and the end of the policy of seclusion in 1868 and for the one and for the January 1995 earthquake that killed 4,600 people within the city but those only happen every 70 - 100 years. No matter where his host family is in Hyogo Prefecture, I bet they take him to Kobe a lot. Let me know if you and DH need a guide to go visit him. ji ji http://www.hyogo-tourism.jp/english/index.html http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobe#Origins_-_Meiji_Era With regard to you progressive and unprogressive track work and 11 miles, it looks like the ascent and descent for the 11 mile Cutthroat Classic in August over there. However, I can't figure out the Great Wall Pictures. Doesn't look like what I saw. Can you link to a bigger one? Are you going back to China? Re the butterfly hugs, now you tell me as I'm breaking my normal tapering for a rare Friday evening run. please save some. ====================== Vista - you're really something. thanks. and Dr. Dale too. ====================== Amy - I'm weak from breath from what happened and hope you guys can take advantage of all the new marathons out here in Seattle and the PNW for a return trip sometime. ======================= Rare weekday Running News from the tet - Fremont 5K Fun Run and Costume Briefcase Relay tonight is again designated by the race organizers as our Barefoot Run of the Month. (so far the only one). Any local runners see me at our RunningBarefoot.org booth, . . . and my bare feet in the run. note to somebody - though three miles can sometimes turn out to be plodding, slow and difficult with some sweating like crazy and breathing very heavily before packing it in, I think this tapering plan of mine , which I have stuck to very well, should make for a good three mile run tonight with no need for a bit of recovery so I'll see how tomorrow feels but look forward to the annual freebie Green River Marathon with Huskydon in the relay again with his Seattle brothers. Big grin

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

TGIF! {{{Amy and her husband}}} Hi Bruce, email me when you want to coordinate a meeting place for Lomita 5k/10k. I am too busy to post lately but I wish all of you well. Hope those of you who are injured will heal soon, and congratulations to everyone who runs well in races and workouts. Ran 3 miles last night in new trail shoes (Brooks Cascadia). It's definitely a nice experience not to slide around on the gravel and woodchips like I used to! I'm still a bit careful around tree roots (I still walk over them instead of running) but I suppose I'll get used to the feel the more I run in these shoes.
                      Teresadfp

One day at a time

Well, about what I expected - the doctor said it's achilles tendonitis and I shouldn't run until I'm pain-free (week plus or minus). I'll have to skip the 5k on June 14 that I've already signed up for with my daughter. I think I'll still go - she can run it with my running partner. So I'm bummed out, but I'm trying to think positively - I haven't taken off more than two days in 6 months, so the rest will be good. I bought some Weight Watchers' frozen meals so I don't eat too much this week! I'm used to eating just about whatever I want to now. When I start back, I"m supposed to ease into it gradually. That will be the hardest part for me, but I know it's critical. When we got to talk to Joan Benoit Samuelson last fall, she asked me and my running partner if we'd been injured yet (she was talking about her own situation) and we told her no. She said when it happened, we would be surprised at how hard it is! She was right.
                          Hang in there Teresa and if you treat it right away, you'll be back better than ever. I know it's frustrating as you see your times get better and your endurance grow. Rest is a part of training too. Are you allowed to bike or do other activities? Holly---how was the chicken salad? Procrastinating..... Karin
                          TammyinGP

ahhh, the Fremont 5K! Fun race, interesting area of Seattle . . .to say the least. Talk about a town with personality! Shocked Glad to hear the good news on Mr.Aamos. Smile Will go back to yesterday's thread and read DToce's comments. Since Ribs is such a slacker today, guess I'll throw in a few extra miles on my lunchtime run for him. Tongue Have a good day all.

Tammy

Short of time for posting today. DW and I were planning on going to downtown Detroit for the Red Wings' parade today, but I ended up having a (very rare for me) technical emergency at a plant in Windsor, Ontario and had to leave for there at 6AM with a small group from my company. Interestingly, we took the tunnel to cross the border both ways; on the way over at 7AM we could see people already gathering in Hart Plaza (the parade wasn't to start until 11AM!) and on the way back at 11:30 we could look down the street and see the huge crowd in place. We might have skipped it anyway - it was already 87 and very humid when we came through. And obviously no running or other exercise for me this morning. Have a good weekend, everyone!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

wildchild

Carolyn

Hey everyone, I love the new job - the work is interesting and the people are nice. But 50 miles is a long commute! I'll be able to start working at home once I get more familiar with the projects and get some of my own independent assignments. Hopefully in a week or two I can work at home one or two days. Amy, so glad to hear DH is on the mend. Keep us posted! Teresa, sorry about your ankle. Is this your first running injury? Everyone says it's not a question of IF, but WHEN, you'll have an injury that sidelines you, and the same is said of falling down on a run. I used to think, "I don't fall down when I run!" But then last winter I tripped and fell on a trail run, so I guess it does probably happen to everyone eventually. Best wishes for a speedy recovery. I went out for a 3 mile tempo run around the office park here yesterday - it was a lovely cool 50 degrees with light rain. Today it's warm and sunny, a bit on the warm side, but I think I'll take a rest day so I'll be fresh for my first half marathon tomorrow. The race forecast is sunny and windy, high of 56, mid-40's at the start. The temp sounds perfect but I could do without the wind.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.