Masters Running

Tuesday 2/12/19 (Read 44 times)

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, snowmagedden to the north meant thunderstorms (with an impressive squall line) here today.  And as the worst of it was hitting, we launched a C-130.  Mind you, not a weather bird either (the Reserves has the Air Force's hurricane hunter mission but that unit is in Biloxie, MS and flies J models).  Anyway, I elected to use a TM and got in 6 miles on a hill profile (2 minutes at 2%, 2 minutes at 3%).  Gradually increased speed to 7.4 mph and then held on.  Pretty decent sweat.  Temps get back into the 30s tonight so I expect a relapse <eye roll>.

Have a greta night everyone!

Good workout, Falcon!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Jay - in the last 126 years since since 1894,

the annual snowfall has exceed this week’s 22 inches

only eight times while more than 20 years had no snow

or a trace of 0.2. or 0.3 inches that melted right away

so it's been a pretty special time.

He spent a LONG TIME in jail there, and as far as I know might STILL be in Mexican jail for making a wrong turn and being honest.

Amen.

In a 1956 drive down the Al-Can, "Bessie" (our 1956 Willy's)

aiming for a late evening arrival at my uncle's about two hours

south of the border, we were kept in a "waiting" room

until 2am while my parents were interrogated

and didn't get to uncle's at 4:00 a.m.

I still remember it vividly.

Turns out a kid who might have resembled

me had been kidnapped in Canada.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Another 5" of snow overnight meant for another long day.  I'm sick of shoveling.

My running schedule is off one day, this week, because I wanted to see my granddaughter's basketball game, yesterday.  It was a good one.  They won 61 to 56 in overtime and my granddaughter had 26 points.

So--that meant, today, was my tempo run.  Because of the snow, I had to do it on the treadmill.  It wasn't pretty but I got it done.  Total was 12 miles with 10 at tempo pace.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

SteveP you have had a couple real winners in cars out during your runs.

fatozzig I still find hills and inclines are a lot more irritating than flats and downhills. I hope this is not a permanent side effect.

I put in an hour on the elliptical this morning. Then went in for a pointless central campus meeting. Then bolted home shortly thereafter since the roads were becoming really treacherous with snow and sleet falling. Highway was like a skating rink. Glad I managed to get home without incident. Finally, this evening wrapped up with some really, really good news for me. A paper of mine was accepted for publication in a leading journal. (A big deal in my world.) It has been a long battle (years) but it is finally over. On to the next project.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Congratulations,Twocat! Excellent!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

evanflein

Nice job, Twocat. I know how important that is.

We got quite a bit of snow today too, and wow the wind! We don't usually get wind so this was pretty impressive. Drifting across the roads and sidewalks even. So... I was planning a treadmill run anyway because of my cranky leg/knee, and the weather just sort of confirmed that was the right choice. 5.3 miles, leg was fine the first 3 miles, then got a little tweaky the last couple of miles. So it goes.

I sent Jlynne a message today. I thought I had her e-mail, but apparently don't. I can't find her on Facebook anymore. Hope all is ok.

fatozzig I still find hills and inclines are a lot more irritating than flats and downhills.

Good to know.  And congrats on the publication!!  In my (much) younger days, I loved to write and spent two years of college majoring journalism.  Ended up not being my cup 'o tea, but every once in awhile I think about I'd go about writing a book. For years I wanted to write something about my mom, but the time for that has, unfortunately, passed.  But still, sometimes . . . .

PT this morning.  And if I don't have to work late, I'll get in a walk when I get home.  The wind was blowing like CRAZY this morning.  Somehow walking .5 or 1 mile just isn't appealing in those conditions.

In other news - California (and I'm assuming other states?) has started issuing Real IDs as opposed to regular driver licenses, if you so desire.  After 2020, the Real ID, should you desire to obtain one, will allow you to fly domestically and get into certain otherwise restricted federal buildings; otherwise, you have to carry a passport. Since my license expires Feb 23, I figured I'd go ahead and get the Real ID, made an appt with the DMV, gathered my required paperwork, etc.  Showed up for my appointment with said paperwork (current utility bill, SS card, cert birth certificate) and . . . . do you have your passport or a certified copy of your marriage certificate showing your name change?  What??   Evidently I didn't read the instructions as well as I thought I had.  So the guy helping me says, "I can't get you in for another appt until after your current license expires."   "You know, you can just get a regular license now and use your passport until it expires or come back before 2020."  Which is what I did.  So I ended up spending an hour at the DMV to try to get a Real ID, which I couldn't get because obviously I can't read instructions, when I could've just renewed my license in a blip on the 'net. 

On a brighter note, I think I got a "contact hangover" from the alcohol fumes being expelled by other patrons. 

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance