Masters Running

Sundaily, 3.24.24 (Read 34 times)

coastwalker

Hi, Masters.

I hope everyone is having fun today.

Last night, I had the best night's sleep I've had in quite a while. After yesterday's snow and rain, and with below-freezing temps overnight I had decided that I wouldn't go out at my regular time this morning because I didn't want to find any road ice the hard way. So I slept in, and didn't get up till 5:40, which was like the middle of the day. I did 50 minutes of core work and weights. Then DW got up and we got to work on making and enjoying our usual Sunday jazz breakfast. I waited about an hour after we finished that before finally heading out for a workout. I went 5.3 RW miles at a pace perhaps faster than I should have, but I was a bit under dressed for the breezy 30° temps, and so needed a modicum of speed to keep this ole' body comfortable. But it was good to get it done, and then I did some good stretching and took a delightful, almost scalding hot shower. Now, for the second half of my day...

Have a greta Sunday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

evanflein

Where is everyone? Glad you had a good night's sleep, Jay.

Had a nice 5k walk yesterday. I'm loving the warm temps we've been having. Today is cloudy this morning but we should still get up to mid-40's. We actually sat out on our deck yester while two chickens were in the charcoal grill. Had a yummy chicken dinner and now have three 3-cup bags of cut up cooked chicken in the freezer. 

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Jay/Erika - sounds like great weekends at our RA geographical east and wests.  Add a my "stroll" to your race walks and walks, respectively.

Maybe everyone is watching NCAA or, for some, trying to forget it, but, overcoming the absence of any posts to motivate me out the door into another nice spring day, I took the morning bus out to the UW's annual Cherry Blossom Running Festval of 5K's to marathon but, with the last day of the Spring Grand Sumo on the NHK World agenda with DW later on in the morning, I took the one mile Sip'n'Stroll under the still gloriously blooms this year's mild weather without any heavy rains and winds has blessed upon us.

Mr. Sumo Neophyte who came into the current 2024 Spring Tournament of some 40 other more experieced rikishi wrestlers by winning a record-tying 11 straight initial matches before losing two of the next three was on his way to becoming the first neophyte to come up from the very bottom to win a record-tying 11 straight initial matches before losing two in a row and then twisting his ankle in yesterday's loss in match no. 14, came back like leg-injured Kirk Gibson's Game 1 pinch hit game-winning home run in WS 1988 with a heavily wrapped ankle to win his final match and become the first rikishi since 1914 to win the tournament on his first try.  Almost as infrequent as the solar eclipse coming up for Holly and others in her line of fire, it'll be 2134 if it takes as long for it to happen again.  

In the meantime, in case anyone is gloomy about their teams' road to the Sweet Sixteen being spoiled by overtime meltdowns, I felt the same after a similar letdown in the Seahawk's Superbowl XLIX loss when they inexplicably passed into a game-losing interception on first down at the two foot line with less than a minute to go and three more chances to simply step over the goal for the win that even I could have done but, if I can get over it, so can anyone, . . . even though I'm still working on it.   

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Thanks, Jay.  We had Palm Sunday stuff this morning - it's a longer service.  I got out for my run after it warmed up- 56 and sunny.  Over to the path for 8.2 miles.  I did really well- I guess because yesterday was such a short run.

I wondered where everyone was this morning!    Tet- my remaining goal for the NCAA playoffs is that Tennessee lose, which they did NOT last night.  I still have the worry about when they will announce Vanderbilt's next coach- should be soon.  We usually track the jet of our biggest booster to see where it is flying for potential candidate interviews.  This hasn't happened this time.  We sort of know who the candidates might be- or at least we think we do.  I'm still sad about losing Jerry Stackhouse.

On with my day!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Dave59

It is a long day taking my father-in-law to church without Cindy around. Over 4 hours to go pick him up, go to church, go to lunch, and then take him back.  I'm not really complaining. It is like a long run. It wears you out but you also enjoy it.

He almost fell on the way into church but I got some folks to help him. Usually I drop him and Cindy off at the front door and she helps him in. I let him off and got him up and out of the car but he almost fell backwards. Once I steadied him a couple guys helped him into church while I parked the car. On the way out of church he didn't remember that I had brought him and he was asking me if I came to take him home.

Then lunch at Bob Evans. When we left there he asked me if I had ever been married. Oh well. It does him good to get out and move around a bit.

Now, I do have to get a couple things done for work or I'll regret it tomorrow.

Dave59

I don't know if you've ever watched stuff about the Barley Marathon, an insane 5-loop, 100+ mile race in Tennessee, but this year a woman finished the race for the first time. It was amazing to watch the finish. She made it with less than 2 minutes before the 60 hour cutoff.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Eh... The Barkley Marathons... big deal... even girls can do it...

I went 8 miles before church, today.

Okay--gotta go before one of the girls in here throws something at me...

Consider yourself kicked somewhere where it hurts a lot!  Smile    Barkley is unbelievable.  I've watched some of the shows about it and, since it's in Tennessee and Laz is a well known character around this state.....  I don't know how anyone can do it- and, in fact, most can't!

Hello everybody!

I went 8 miles before church, today.

Okay--gotta go before one of the girls in here throws something at me...

Marathon Maniac #957

Wow, Dave. I have heard about that race. How incredibly difficult it is.  Sad about your father in law....

Not feeling my best today, mentally.  Depression rearing it's ugly head again.  Ah well,, this too shall pass.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I’m sorry, Holly.   I know it’s a struggle.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

davethanks.

That is fantastic.

Her last half hour

must have really been something.

I always mixed The Barkley

up with the Canda Death Race.

I wonder how many have done both?

ps KSA - I'll help hold MikeE down. 

.. . . this year a woman finished the race for the first time. It was amazing to watch the finish. She made it with less than 2 minutes before the 60 hour cutoff.

Holly - 

no problem: just focus on

"One of these days I'll be retired."

Believe me it is so well worth it and wonderful.
                        I really loved my work so much that I used to marvel that they would pay me to do it and dreaded retiring so, until it somehow happened without me even noticing, basically I never did but now that I am fully retired I can't believe how wonderful it is. No I can't do what I used to but the thing is, we're able to do what we can do without all the background stress from roofs, furnaces, banks, credit cards, parents to take care of, kids to worry about, etc. and just say  "so what" to whatever stress comes up anyway, enjoying evcry day as much as we can while we can.  Good luck.  So far so good and fully enjoying it until then.

ps - in fact, join me in enjoying BTY's progress towards his and imagine your similar joy when it's you.

Not feeling my best today, mentally.  Depression rearing it's ugly head again.  Ah well,, this too shall pass.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

((Holly))

((Dave))

Jay - that must have felt so odd for you to sleep until 5:40 

MikeE - you better be running away from here even faster than your normal fast run pace!!! 

Well it was a lovely 24+ hours with the grands. I just love having them here in my house even when we are just doing the normal low key stuff. They loved coloring Easter eggs yesterday and spending time with family. I was sandwiched between the two of them to sleep last night, but we all slept surprisingly well - guess that's what a full day and a happy heart will do for you. Today we watched part of the Taylor Swift concert and had a blast singing and dancing around the living room!!

Dropped them back home a little after noon today and then went out for a run. Parked at the local library just to have a different starting point, but unfortunately I was there about 30 minutes too early to go inside and use the restroom one more time before my run. Even more unfortunate is that it came back to haunt me. I was hoping to do an 8 ish mile loop, but around mile 2 I knew I would be in trouble if I continued, so I turned back to the library, had a bathroom break and restarted my run in a different direction.

4.4 miles pre-bathroom break, 4.4 miles with a nice little hill thrown in there post-bathroom break -- that second half was much more pleasant!!!!

Went out for a quick lunch/dinner with dh then went to 5pm mass.

Trying to get stuff ready for work tomorrow and want to get back into my book - Kristin Hannah The Women

Have a great week friends

denise

9 mile long run today. Didn't found anything interesting.

Ducks did much better than I expected yesterday. They lost by 13 in second OT, but I thought they'd lose by that much in regulation. They darn near won it, if not for a missed freethrow or an errant pass. Now, I'm rooting for underdogs, Grand Canton lost today.

I slept pretty good the last couple nights, usually a fullish moon means restlessness for me.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

SteveP

Tom White - That is a wicked looking piece of low impact equipment.

Erika - Glad you had a 5K.

WooHoo Mr. Neophyte!

The solar eclipse should last 4:28 seconds.  So does this Bonnie Tyler song.

Dave59 - Kudos with Dad-In-Law duties.  It brings back memories.

Even when I was nuts, the Barkley Marathons did not seem like something I wanted to do. A ten-mile version would be more to my liking.

Deeze - Thankfully there was a restroom option.

DW, the dog and I are home sweet home.

SteveP