Masters Running

Monday Back to Work and School Runs (Read 525 times)

Good morning good people. Up and at 'em - jobs and school await!

Tom - hope your FIL is doing better today. Nice run in brutal conditions last weekend btw.

Erika - sorry your foot is causing you distress again. I may have missed it, but did you ever get it x-rayed?

Steve - loved your first date story. I'm sure your kids still talk about it!

Tramps - I'm with you. I'm not a good warm weather runner. Besides - you can always put more clothes on, you can only take so much off.

Taper down week for me - woo hoo! I did 5 miles on the eliptical this morning followed with some core work. I talked to my sister in Florida last night, and she said the extended forecast is for cold temps all week. What to pack, what to pack...

Well the playoffs are set, the Packers are in, and there's a new episode of House tonight. Could life possibly get any better?

Jlynne, the Orlando forecast is for Saturday 53°/36° with 10 mph NW winds.  Sunday 54°/27° with 10 mph NW winds.  It may not be what you're used to, but it'll be plenty cold for most of the Florida runners.  Perfect running weather though!

In an email from Tinman yesterday "It's time to get to work".

I had a nice tempo run on Sunday.  3 miles easy to warm up, then 3 miles at long tempo pace (7:53, 7:52, and 7:49), followed by a mile cool down.  Tinman asked for HMP + 5 secs (8:04 or so) but this pace felt comfortable though i doubt I could mange it for 13.1 miles.

3.5 recovery paced miles this morning.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

The Christmas decorations are packed away, the needles vacuumed up.  Back to work, and the kids are back in school.  After the holiday festivities, and a 4-day-weekend followed by a 3-day-weekend, I admit to feeling a little post-holiday blah.  Part of it is knowing that I don’t have another paid work holiday until May 31.  Plus, on top of my paralegal job from 8:30-4:00, I’m working every night this week from 5-9 at my tax preparer, and Saturday from 9-5.  I'm grateful for the work, but it makes me a little tired just thinking about it.

But that’s only this week, as I take some additional city tax training (they are REALLY intent on training new tax preparers fully before they have any real clients), and I think next week it’s just 3 nights I’ll be working at the tax job.

Yesterday I worked out easy-and-quick dinner plans for the week, making and freezing a meatloaf and marinating chicken on skewers, so DS can pop stuff into the oven before I leave work.  The crockpot will save me on some of these night shifts, too.

I’ve been debating on cutting my running back this week as well.  The question is, on a week when I work so much, will running less reduce my stress, or increase it?  I feel so bloated, I would feel better if I could run off some of these holiday lbs, but at the same time don't want to be yawning through my evening shifts.

No run for me today, giving the legs a rest.  Push-ups, front raises, reverse flies, superman lifts, stability ball crunches, and 4 chin-ups.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Holly, in my opinion it's not whether you should run, but rather how much sleep you're able to get.  If you get enough sleep you'll be fine to run and do all your other stuff.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

We are like in an ultra deep freeze here in CT.  Worse, there is no end in sight.  I would really up the complaint level but looking at the national weather map it seems like most of the country is in one too.  Of course, the other thing that keeps my complaining down is knowing that whatever is happening here will look like mild compared with evanflein's next report!

A woman from our local running club that my DW likes to run with is marrying a guy from a local biking club.  The engagement party is going to be at my place.  So there was a big pow-wow here with the various organizers.  I put on parties all the time with zero meetings or worries.  These guys?  You would think they were planning a major marine invasion someplace!  There are meetings, emails, phone calls and on and on!  Glad I am not involved!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Slo

Good Morning All !

I'm starting to feel like a runner again. I should break 20 miles this week.....and can probably start working back to the 40+ miles where I like to be.....Maybe....just maybe I'll see that sometime in Febuary.

No run this morning, It was a swim workout......The Y was packed.....all the New Year resolutions.....It will stay that way until about March.......and then we'll be back to all the regular faces.

We are in a deep freeze. I did 4 miles yesterday in -7 deg....not bad at all but my eye lashes were frosted over and you couldn't blink very long without risking your eyelids freezing shut.

Hope everyone had a great holiday season !

Morning gang!

Jlynne - I didn't need the reminder - I'm so not ready to be back at work today.

Twocat - Yeah, I'm tired of the deep freeze in CT as well.  Gee, I guess I'll have to go to Florida - oh no, wait, it's frickin cold down there too, but still better than CT ;-).  

Slo - congrats on getting back into running!

5.5 miles on the TM this AM @ 10:06 and 156 AHR.  DH so kindly passed on the cold he picked up before Christmas.  Mine didn't hit until New Years Day.  It's payback for the extremely mild cold I had about a month ago.  There's nothing mild about this one.  At least the Tylenol nighttime formulation knocks me out and provides a good nights sleep. 

Good runs all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Mariposai

Good Monday morning gang. I too wanted to complain about the crappy weather we are having here, but then I thought of our snow queen Erika and our heat king Byll and I decided to just shut up about the ugly frozen roads I encountered during my 5 mile run this morning.

Happy taper week Jlynne. Will you meet BQByll while in Florida?

Holly, a while back I was doing a Fellow program where my schedule looked like yours, my kids were just a bit older than yours, I was working full time and in the evenings I had to do all my studies, get some running in and be on call here and there. My husband also was  traveling a lot for work and I had to be gone one week a month and every six months I would be gone for two weeks  at the time, anyway I did the same as you are doing now with your meal planning. The"Once a month cookbook" was my weekend bible as I cooked all the meals on Sundays to last us for the whole week. Check into this cookbook since it really has many recipes that is really kid friendly, the food is great and very economical. Good luck sistahh.

Only twocat can say that they are having a huge party in his house and that he is not involved?  So...what did you serve to the "planning committee" yesterday?

Have a great day and please be careful driving! 

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

wildchild

Carolyn

Good morning!  I'm back at work today, too.  I got spoiled by working from home last week - hardly anyone was in the office so there was no point doing the long commute.  DD goes back to school on Wednesday.

Sorry for those of you in the deep freeze.  I think it's supposed to hit 40 today in town. Too bad I'm not running - I'm still taking time off from running to let my leg and foot heal.  I think I'll go to a doctor to have them checked out to see what's really wrong. Hope it's nothing serious.

Holly, your schedule sounds so full that you have my permission to just wing it with the running this week! 

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

I Can Go The Distance

Good Morning Cold Runners,

I am almost afraid to say what the temp was when I went out to run at 5:30 this morning. It was already 62! You folks that run in the winter weather have my admiration and sympathy. I did 8 miles in 1:17:10 (9:39/mi). The first few miles my stomach did not feel to good. I think I ate too much junk over the weekend. By about 3 miles though, I was feeling fine.

Have a great day everyone,

Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

I say we take up a collection and hire a hit man to get BCMorant!  Who's in?

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

wildchild

Carolyn

I have a better idea - let's go stay at his house!  Hey, Bruce, do you have a hot tub?

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Hey twocat - can I crash the party?  I'll tell the runners that I'm on the bikers list, and the bikers that I'm on the running list.

Didn't run yesterday - I wimped out.  I did get to the gym this morning - fizzy lifting, stepperfication and spinnerooni.

Holly - run, or don't run.  Just don't stress about it.  Enjoy it if time permits. 

I'm with Carolyn--anything to get me someplace warm .  (Say, keep us posted on the college chase and where the DD chooses to go, ok?)

We got ourselves outside yesterday for nearly 6 miles--wore my trail shoes to deal with the snow.  Not as bad as I thought it would be.  Supposed to hit 40+ Sunday, so back to longer runs.  Rests are very good, aren't they?  I was really happy to get out there yesterday.

Gym day today (can't rush things too much!)--

grins,

A

Masters 2000 miles
                              evanflein

Of course, the other thing that keeps my complaining down is knowing that whatever is happening here will look like mild compared with evanflein's next report!

Well, my next report isn't all that bad! It warmed up overnight and we're just at about -10° right now, and could see above zero tomorrow! We just don't have cold snaps like we used to, I tell ya. This is really about IRC for winter running if you ask me... Too bad I'm not running.

Carolyn, I'll be interested to hear what the diagnosis is if you do go to the doc. I'm tempted to go back, but I might see a sports med doc instead of the podiatrist. I always leave the podiatrist's office thinking "now what?" like I don't have a clear plan of action. Last time he said I could keep running, but I think he was focused on the metatarsal issue. I did startup running again, got up to a little over 30 miles two weeks ago and the metatarsal is ok. But now this ankle/tendinitis thing is very problematic (self-diagnosed, I should add) and I'm back to just XT for awhile.

Boston is 15 weeks from today. If you don't think I hear that clock ticking loudly... oh geez.