Masters Running

Keep Cool Runs Wed 7/7 (Read 675 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Enke -

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Good summary Enke.

Haven't run since Monday.  Cross training in air conditioned comfort.  I guess I'll run tomorrow.  Inside or out depends on which movie is playing in the cardio cinema.

Looks like the PBJsters will be packing up for a Clark Griswold-style vacation in a month or so.  More details to come...

SueT, in two weeks I will be in Portland, Maine for a meeting. My DH is traveling with me, so I am looking forward to renting a car and exploring that part of the Country. Any suggestions on where to go and what to do in the Portland area. Actually we are flying to Boston and then driving to Portland.

As a native from Maine I would suggest that if any way possible make a trip to Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park.  The problem is that it is a bit of a distance from Portland  (about 3 hours going Interstate roads).  The map would indicate that it is shorter to take scenic Route 1 but that goes through a lot of WONDERFUL little towns including Camden.  All of these towns take time to go through and at this time of year tourists slow traffic down considerably.

Acadia National Park  is on the island of Mount Desert and has the combination  of the Atlantic Ocean, beautiful terrain and even a small mountain .  The National Parks have done a good job of informational display buildings throughout the park.   The town of Bar Harbor itself has wonderful shops, boutiques, and restaurants where lobster can be bought at incredibly low prices.  You can sit on the wharf at a restaurant and watch the lobster boats come and go with their catch for the day. 

If you are a LL Bean fan, this companies main headquarters is located near Portland in Freeport and has a couple of stores there which sell their famous goods at good prices.  There are other good stores in that area

Even if you can't get up to Acadia, at least take a drive along Route 1 in the Wells area.  This road  winds along the coast and has plenty of places to stop, eat, shop and simply enjoy the ocean.   There is a nice store in that area that is the best I have ever seen for lighthouses.  Everything about lighthouses from books to replicas are found there.  Of course one of the famous lighthouses (of which there are several in Maine) is located in Portland Head.

Good luck on your trip but watch out for the Maine state bird.......the mosquito .......They are so big there that they get on their knees to bite you.

I am jealous of you having this trip to the Pine Tree State.   Oh.....and if you see a roadside stand selling blueberries, grab a pint.   They should just about be in season when you get there.

Vista

...mari//.......we went last year,

Camden is WONDERFUL............climb Mount Battee if you have time....

nice people,

very tourist friendly.

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Enke!   Thanks for the laughs!!

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Enke--that's an amazing memory.  I have a hard time remembering what I had for lunch   It's almost like it really happened

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Bill is moving to Michigan, so his wife won't have to listen to him whine about the H & H anymore.  Rumour has it "Dark Eyes" recently moved there.

Enke (the ) is trying to get me in trouble ...

I would expect Erika/Erik to chime in with a few pitchforks as well ...

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Enke!   Thanks for the laughs!!

Ditto........and Stumpy ran a half and lived to tell.

Dive ran a full on little training and lived to tell.

CNY and Walt laid tracks in Western Mass and Holly earned the Sandbagger moniker for a ridiculously fast mile race in which she also supervised her DS & DD.  Then she had 84 8 year olds over to her house, earning her the moniker Super Mom.  Yes, you've got it, we now all hate her. 

And for a while there, it seemed everyone was falling down and getting scraped up, including wannabe's son, who really and truly, thank goodness, lived to tell.

Thanks for bringing us the  weather, Carolyn, it's a cool 70 here so I got in a mild tempo run at lunch, 5.5 miles.

grins,

A

Masters 2000 miles
                  stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Amy--the e-mail that I have for you doesn't seem to work anymore.  but this is a highly important "running" link (wink, wink) just in case you haven't been doing your part.

Vote Youk

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

wildchild

Carolyn

Amy, you're welcome for the weather!  It's 65° and overcast here, and I got in 6 sproinky miles at lunchtime, avg pace 9:58.  Not bad for 3 weeks at sea level with no running! 

Holly, I hope a rest day cures whatever is bothering your knee - just make sure to REST it on the rest day! Your normal Friday "rest day" cross training workouts don't sound very restful...

Enke, thanks so much for the updates!    When is Nono's beach party? 

Hey, you all remember that push up challenge that started in January?  Well, while I was sitting in the Philly airport on a long layover yesterday, I was people watching.  I doubt if 1% of the people there could do 10 pushups.  Or even 1 pushup. 

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

SteveP

can you say ''CheeseCake Factory''??

.............oh yeah.............

Sweet deal!!!! Wildchild is back. Sweet!!!

From now on, I'll just ask Enke what the heck is going on.

I could do a push up if I wanted to. However, today is a rest day. I'm going to work on being the man DW needs me to be.I'll try to be her best friend. I'll never stand her up. Never let her down.  Help her to feel reassured and cofort her after a rough day.
                        I believe in her. I need to let her know that she can do things she has never done before. Help her see that she can live with out fear or regret. I would like to enable her to express her deepest emotions and give in to her most intimate desires. Make sure she always feels as though she's the most beautiful woman in the room. To help her to be the most confident, sexy, seductive, and invincible

Screw it...I'll just get her a bottlle of wine....Same results and I can watch TV.

SteveP

evanflein

Enke (the ) is trying to get me in trouble ...

I would expect Erika/Erik to chime in with a few pitchforks as well ...

*sigh* I've given up.

Cute summary, Enke, and I like Amy's addendum.

Carolyn, I look around at places like airports and try to imagine most of those people running a mile, much less a marathon. Amazing shape some people have gotten themselves into, isn't it?

Steve, that should work.

I'm hoping to run home from work today, but trying to figure out the details of what to do with my car.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Oh Enke, I can hardly wait to run tomorrow morning and test out those 8:30 miles!!  Big grin    In honor of the occasion I went to Target and bought some new running shorts and tops. 

SteveP - wine is much quicker for what you want to achieve!  Big grin

Welcome home Carolyn!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                            It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Maniac 505

Enke:  GRETA recap.   I can skip the dailies from now on,  I just need to wait for your recaps.

5 miles at 80º today after an hour swimming at the aquarium,   much cooler then much of the country and the humidity is not bad.  still we aren't used to that stuff.

I should be able to get the rest of my runs in before it heats up.

and speaking of the shape most of the country is in,  My brother  was visiting for a few days last week.  I told him the walk from the airport bus station to my condo was a nice walk,  about 1.5 miles.  That evening we then walked 1.5 miles each way to dinner,  the next morning he was moaning and groaning.  He asked if I had any ibuprofen for his aches and pains

Enke! Excellent---we may need you to do that every week.

Planes, trains and automobiles for me over the past several days...Whew, tired. 9 miles in pre-dawn Chicago yesterday and 6 lethargic miles here in MA at 5:00 am before a day of work all over CT. My guys are heading to the Boston area (including minor league games at Fenway------"Futures at Fenway" on Saturday Aamos) and my two best buddies from childhood are coming in for our annual girls weekend. I've known them since kindergarten. Forty years later we're just as goofy and silly----just replaced the Koolaid with wine and the cat eye glasses with bifocals.

I feel so far behind on everything and just need to stand still for a bit. 

Welcome back wildchild. I love Scotland---visit George Street by chance? (Edinburgh)