Masters Running

Saturday, 8.27.16 (Read 29 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

I just have time for a walk-by - we have a busy morning. I woke at 3 and was done, so I read for an hour, and then got up and headed out for 7 nicely and negatively-paced RW miles in 67F temps and relatively dry air with a nice westerly breeze, and under clear sky with stars and a small chunk o' moon. When I got back, I loaded our kayaks on the car because DW and I have to be out by 8 to meet some folks for a morning-long water tour of the largest estuary in NH (Great Bay). When we get back, my choices are yard work, nap, bake a cake, or any combination thereof. But I have a feeling that 'nap' will make it to the top of the list.

Have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Sayhey! MM#130

Afternoon!  The lawyer story on This American Life didn't disappoint.  Listened while eating lunch of pasta, a little observation of remembrance for victims of the Italian earthquake.  No pork cheek, however.

This is a no long run weekend, so slept in and lazed through 12 easy miles in under 2 hours, got to listen to Scott Simon for most of it.  And I'll prolly do less tomorrow.

Errand time; rains due in a bit so need to go.

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - Kayaking sounds like a lot of fun!

Amy - I long for the day when I can say, "no long run today, just 12 miles."    Looking forward to seeing you in a couple of weeks!

Rest day for me today, just puttering around and getting chores done.   Severe thunderstorms knocked our power out for most of the night, which made for poor sleeping and I suppose that was part of my bleh attitude.

Poor kitty Max is puking all over everything again, including the carpet, our bedroom comforter, and the sofa.  Took him to the vets and they are running some tests.  Also I have to give him 2 medicines twice a day with eye droppers.  He does NOT like that.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tselbs sighting!!!!

i was lucky enough to spot a RA member in the middle of about 17,000 people today. I was just finishing up my race and Tom was just on his way to the starting line. I was glad to see him out there even though he has been struggling with motivation lately. I hope he had a great time it's hard not to with that many like minded people surrounding you.

My day went fairly well concidering the amount of training and I am happy with the 1:24:45 I posted for this  10 mile  course. The Crim is the main race in mid Michigan and the turn out was pretty good from what I could tell. With all the issues with water, unemployment and crime it's nice to see Flint at its finest.

My day

time: 01:24:45

pace: 8:28

overall: 1123rd of 6,995

age group: 72nd of 351

still lots of fast people in my age group . I guess that's a good thing it helps motivate me to keep up.

Good thoughts and vibes to Ribs . been there done that got the t-shirt. Don't need another one.

Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

... it's nice to see Flint at its finest.

My day

time: 01:24:45

pace: 8:28

overall: 1123rd of 6,995

age group: 72nd of 351

still lots of fast people in my age group . I guess that's a good thing it helps motivate me to keep up.

Yowzer, that's a lot of people for a race!  Is this about where you have placed in the past years? Great that you saw Tom amid the crowd.

Holly, sorry about your kitty. Oh, I thought the same thing when I read Amy's 12 mile no big deal run... I ran 11 today and I was so excited to get that far.  I should get up early to run, but waited until I thought the rain had stopped. It was misting a bit, but not too wet.  2 hours 10 minutes, but my garmin was acting up. At first it showed a 7:34 pace so I stopped it and restarted it, same thing.... then suddenly I was at a 24:24 pace. I ran my 9 mile route then added a 1 mile out and back. It sure is easier to run when the temps are in the 60's!

I too listened to This American Life, but not that episode. We had leftover pasta for lunch too just a bit ago. It is a perfect day for working on a quilt in my sewing room with the drizzle this afternoon.  We are making cauliflower broccoli cheese soup for supper, one of our favorites.  DD Angela is coming over for her birthday dinner tomorrow so have the chicken enchilada bake and the refrigerator cake done too.

Mike, do you have rain up at the cross country meet today?  I saw the tennis team was sweeping the puddles off the court and had what looked like a leaf blower too.

I hope you get a good nap in after your water tour, Jay. That sounds like fun.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

I guess I do need to clarify that there are multiple races the 10 mile is just one of them . There is also a 5k 8k and a mile run. Also a walk for each of these including the 10 mile. So that was the estimate of all the participants at the beginning today. Looks like I competed with about 7,000 in the 10 mile run. So ya it's kinda hard to find one smiling face among all that . Lol

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Marathon Maniac #957

Halllar - nice racing!  And very cool to find Tom, especially in that crowd.

Starr - you make the most beautiful quilts - awesome talent you have!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai

Butterfly hugs to the Wiseone, aka Spareribs. Hugs to The Saint too.

Hallar, way to go, young man. An 8:28 average pace! Great that you saw our own Tom as well.

Star, I agree with Holly, you make the most amazing quilts!!! I can't wait to see you both in Portland!!!

Jay, your posts always inspire me. Hugs to your lovely DW for me. I hope to see you both next month during the Rosie Ruiz Relay.

MikeE, hung in there. This also shall past.

Stumpy, 33 years old washing machine, woww.... I thought we hold the record of using an OLD washing machine, ours is only 28 years old.

Speaking of Rosie Ruiz Relay team, we DESPERATELY need one more person. Even if you can walk your part of the leg. We are all there for the fun of it, not to win it.  Send me or our team director, Twocat a note if you want to be part of the team. LA Tortuga, Hally and I will be there.

Well, with Portland being just around the corner, I went out for my first 20 miler this training cycle. Funny, normally I put in about 4 -20 miler in a training cycle, this time around I just don't have the time nor the mojo to do it. All is well.

20 miles in the bag and I am glad to say that I felt good at the end.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

...howdy.....

helped Pickles at a Community Fair for the Homeless

,,,,,,,,,,,,,about 1000 people showed up,

it was pretty impressive

especially with 95-degree heat

==========

......before that,

40-min PoolRun, with belt, closed fists, run in shallows, push against water (in shallows)

obviously

I must be working up

to Hanging An Anvil around my neck for Greater Difficulty

well,

like they say

''those who Can't Run, Compensate''

.............good running guys............Enjoy the Gift......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

An evening 2 mile easy run as a warm up for my 8 mile run tomorrow morning.

In the meantime, as some of you saw on FB, I was a guest DJ this morning on our local MIT station. If you want to fiddle away an hour, this is the link to my show. I come on at about 1:02 and my last song is “I Will” by Allison Krauss.

So, this is what you do. Go to the URL http://wmbr.org/ - on the left hand menu click on “Archives”. Do a search or look for “Lost Highways” on Saturday, August 27th at 8:00am. Select how you want to listen to the show – I click on HTML – and then I come on the second hour of the program, so enjoy Doug’s first hour and then my prattling for the next hour.

Enjoy!!!

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

It was great to see hallar at the Crim.  It's been a number of years since I've seen him.  It was also great that he had a good race.  Nice long runs for Aamos and Starr.

As hallar said, I did the Crim today.  Unlike him, though, I did the 5K version.  When my race started, I'd estimate it was about 70° and it was a bit humid.  My GPS gave me a time of 34:45, distance of 3.19 miles, and a pace of 10:50.  On line results have me as 498/1554 OA and 4/17 in my AG (70-74).

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

La T, how cool to be a DJ!

Hallar and Tom, good work on the Crim!

I'm looking forward to Portland RA meetup in October, however, I am REALLY out of shape!

We had temps of 97.3 F yesterday in town.  Luckily I went with my son, 16 and Mr. Blue Eyes and his 27 year old daughter for a hike to Summerland at Mt. Rainier where is was a bit cooler.  Posie probably knows of it as she did the Wonderland trail a few years ago.  It was stunningly beautiful and I plan to go back next spring/early summer when the wildflowers are at their peak. My son said the meadow was like a fairytale!  He did well on his first hike that long and high.  12 miles round trip, 3000 elevation gain.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Very neat, Latort.

Do you go by LaTortuga?

More excellent running Tom even when you're not.

In fact, with 17,000 runners, probably most of it probably was not.

Happy Crim to you and Hallar.  If I had a bucket list, which I don't,

the Crim would be on it, especially if people from Windsor came too.

Well, with Portland being just around the corner, although it made me miss This American Life, I better start thinking about some training so regular walked, if not slower, the local 5K Color Run with GS out-and-back from his grade school under sunny skies and 70o temps. Had a bloodly blast at the run though, walking with GS and his last year's first grade teacher except when we really ran through the half dozen stations with a half dozen kids each along the way throwing handsful of colored chalk on everyone.  At the last minute, GS didn't want to wear his red spiderman sunglasses to keep the chalk out of his eyes so I did, . . . thereby becoming a particularly enticing target at each station, especially on the way back.

Couldn't see that well in the shady, forested parts of the riverside trail, though, and fell flat on my face over a small root onto my hand and elbow and again on the other side of my aging bod when I tried to really run fast behind the kids to avoid the bulk of the chalk but went down on some slippery moss so ended up with the first bloody knee, hand and elbow since my ultra-trail days.  I guess I should have worn running shoes, . . . but I don't have any, . . .  and never will.

ps - if you wanna see some horrified looks, fall down in front of a bunch of kids.

They were almost calling the ambulance before I hit the ground.

pps posie - GS likes your butterfly avatar

His wooly bear caterpiller went into cooon stage last night

so we'll wait from one-to-three weeks to see if metamorphosis occurs this year

or it overwinters until next spring as many apparently do. They are one of the few

creatures that can survive total freezing.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

ps - if you wanna see some horrified looks, fall down in front of a bunch of kids.

They were almost calling the ambulance before I hit the ground.

Oh, I know that was painful but I had to laugh.  I hope the after effects today are mild.

LaT - very cool!