Masters Running

A good time to go run run run! (Read 42 times)

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

That was a doggone good recap, AD...

Twocat--that is amazing about your mother.  If I said I was sorry that happened to her, would that mean that I would rather you not be here?  But, if I said that I'm happy you are here...does that mean that I'm glad all that happened to your mom?  I think I'll just shut up.

I always figured that if somebody found me lying in the ditch, they would just say, "Hey!  There's that little old man who runs up and down the street all the time...I knew all that running wasn't good for him...I wonder where he lived?  Hey--lets go get some ice cream."  Actually, every time I see the Road ID ads, I think about buying one, but never do.  Now, that they're popping up on my Facebook page, again, maybe I should.

I went 10 miles, today.  It was windy.  Then, Debbie and I went and watched a grandson's hockey game.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

mrrun

Add my thanks to AD for the start - and pictures too!

Spring has finally sprung as I power walked 6 followed by a short bike ride.  Just finished making dinner, so responsibilities are over - except walking to meet Henrun after choral practice.  Saw my first daffodils.

Have a great evening!

Fleet feet to any racers today and tomorrow!

marj

Joe618

Avenger Doggie, you certainly deserve some ice cream.    I'll bring you some RICE, too.

So many good comments here today.    I enjoy keeping up with all of you.

I had a half marathon scheduled today and was not sure I would/could/should run it, given the wonky ankle thingie that hit me on Thursday.    Couple with a forecast of 100% chance of rain with a 15mph wind, the event seemed less than auspicious.   But I had three work colleagues who were running and I was the designated driver, so up at 5:00am and by 5:40am, we were rolling for the 70 minute drive to Indy.   I gave myself about a 20% chance of running.   I was NOT going to do serious damage to the ankle with Boston two weeks away.

Got there and, as promised, it was raining.   But I jogged quite a bit in the parking garage, deemed it worth starting and so out into the rain we did go.  I had a go/no go spot about 2.5 miles into the race where I could easily bail and get back to the car.   Off we went and I honestly couldn't tell if the ankle was barking at me or if I was concentrating on it so much I was imagining things.    So, I kept running, very conservatively.   At the 2.5 mile mark, I decided to keep going.   And, gradually, the ankle loosened up and I felt more and more normal.   By mile 5 or so, I decided it was gonna be OK and I started running more comfortably.   Fell in with a small group running a very consistent pace and that was the story for the rest of the day.   Finished exactly five minutes slower than last Saturday's HM but, as you can see in the splits below, it was a tale of two halves of a half.  The first 6.55 miles tentative, then well under my MP for the last 6.55 miles.

I thought of Mariposai during the race, as I followed a lady for a while who had butterfly wings pinned to the back of her shirt!   She was floating happily along!   Though I never recall seeing a butterfly out in the rain....

The rain varied from a drizzle to outright downpour.   Was totally drenched by the end.   A free pancake feed under a tent at the end was a nice feature though and dry clothes in the car made the trip home pleasant.   Our other runners did well, so it ended up a good day.   Home by noon.

I sure like running.

The ankle seems to be OK afterwards and no other niggles.    Taper madness, I know.

And the temperature continued to drop and it snowed here much of the afternoon.   Oy.

Enjoy the rest of your weekends!!!

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

Joe- very well executed and I’m glad it didn’t hurt afterwards.  Sounds like you ar out of the woods.  Congratulations on the race and on being smart!   I would have hated that weather.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Joe - Glad your ankle behaved.  Definitely good news.

I miss being able to do spring yard work, 'cause I actually like mowing the lawn.  For some reason, The Hub doesn't believe me. 

4.75 hrs at work today, followed by about an hour of core/ST/PT.

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, had a hard time falling asleep (did I mention Auburn beat North Carolina?) but got out for 8.1 miles at about a 9 min/mile pace.  Back to apartment, ate some cereal, then went and taught the Saturday morning spin class at the Y.  Only 1 rider, but she was pleasant, gregarious, and singing along to my playlist (when she could sing).  That was a first for me....and surprisingly satisfying.  Worked on taxes most of the rest of the day.  Splitting between states is...mentally exhausting.

Even with 50+ laps around Sol under my belt I'm still surprised at how quickly leaf trees go from budding to "adult"(?) leaves.  This was our week for it.

Bioguy, hope the study session went well!

Joe, good to read about your half today!  Good luck to your Boilermakers!

Avenger Doggie, I would have bet you were going to ask what a dog tag was....then realized you already knew!  Sorry about the ice cream but nice run for you and your Dad!

Evanflein, I would have bet you have all sorts of "be seen at night" equipment!

RunnerKSA, hope it was a great tour!

, Never done that

Mike, I figure by the time I'm found there should be enough left for identification (for DW's sake).  The government has my fingerprints/DNA on file so I should pop up pretty quickly if I've learned anything from NCIS....

Jay, safe travels!

Roch, that's a downside to mud/adventure/trail runs....

JLynne, nice 7.5 but I bet the time with DGS's was better (and you got some poop up also!).

Tet, my hat's off to you; I wouldn't even have tried to run with ankle weights.

Henrun, hopefully the spin helped with the crud.

Holly, smart!  Hopefully tomorrow goes well for you.

dnaff, congrats on two days in a row!

Twocat, YEA on the 6!  And I can appreciate the athleticism and grace required to be a great ballet dancer.....I'd be falling asleep too (although I'd likely enjoy the music).  Good luck!

Fattozig, I'd have settled for just having it in the box but it's nice the cat wants to show affection!

Dave59, hope your legs snap back quickly for you.

Tramps, you get a lot of cross fit cred for chopping up that much stump!

Mrrun, good walk then bike for you!  Happy you saw daffodils.

Have a greta night everyone!

Time flew by on this sunny Saturday. I had planned a double-digit run but found myself with only an hour and a half before I had to go pick up the girl from her job. Since I have to drive someplace to run, I didn't have time for 10.

7 miles on the Bay Trail in Pt Richmond. Took a side-loop through Brickyard Cove by Marshawn Lynch's house (or so I'm told) to add a half mile to the route. Now I have to do 11.5 tomorrow to make 40 miles for the week. I'll get an earlier start!

Joe; good job toughing out the weather to complete the race and stay on schedule for Boston! That will give you the confidence to face bad weather again, if needed. I'm glad the ankle thing resolved itself.

Surly Bill you are friends with the Cherry Poppin' Daddies! That is really cool. I have their Zoot Suit Riot album and of course the parsimonious song off of that is just awesome.

Steve's an interesting guy, one of those local geniuses. We all laughed when he said he wanted to start a swing band, no one even knew he had any musical talent, but it worked out ok! His day job is as a research biologist. The music is about as varied as his interests; ska, swing, punk, calypso, etc. I never really thought the band had a musical identity, that it was (is) all over the place. The music videos are all his doing, and have often featured his family as actors. Everything is a quality DIY endeavor. I'm glad to see there's a new album, in the last decade or so they have mainly been doing corporate gigs (private parties for Google, etc) and a few regional shows a year where they drag out "famous bands from our area".

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

an amazing likeness

I always figured that if somebody found me lying in the ditch, they would just say, "Hey!  There's that little old man who runs up and down the street all the time...I knew all that running wasn't good for him...I wonder where he lived?  Hey--lets go get some ice cream."  Actually, every time I see the Road ID ads, I think about buying one, but never do.  Now, that they're popping up on my Facebook page, again, maybe I should.

Mike...given all the bad weather and darkness you face...just do it. Seriously, wear something with contact info.  When I was mowed down, it was just by small-town chance that someone in the local coffee hangout knew my wife and gave the police some info ("...that might be Paula's husband, give her a call..."). I've never run another mile without a road id.  And...the don't do a shoelace one, one my shoes wasn't found until 2 days later by my brother in law while looking for my wedding band.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Beautiful photos AD!!

6.0 miles this morning with new Sole Sisters to celebrate the start of my 50th year of life on my 59th Birthday!!

Have had a day filled with so many blessings!!

Now time to sleep!! Nite all!!

denise

Mariposai

What a great start of the daily from the Avenger dog. Loved the pictures and the comments.

Nice half marathon Joe. Yeap, that mariposa runner could have been me. I do wear my butterfly wings when racing, you know.

Today I too run the half marathon distance for training.  It was 70F by the time I left to run. I ran 6 miles with the Easy Pacer. Fun, fun, fun.

Then I got home just on time to go to a friend's house for dinner.  Amazing food and company to say the least. This friend does his own aged dry steak. The one he served tonight was a 90 day aged steak.  Wow... it was simply amazing. The wine served with the dinner was out of this world as well.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Dave59

Great race Joe. Hope your ankle feels ok when you wake up today.

Marathon Maniac #957

, one my shoes wasn't found until 2 days later by my brother in law while looking for my wedding band.

Wow - what happened?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."