Masters Running

40's + last week of Jan. (Read 560 times)

Good luck, Lopez and Arla!!! Have fun, fun, fun!!

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

jfa

Leslie- I agree with Ev- you ran after all that?!?! Are you Superwoman?!? Glad you're getting better!! Smile Take it easy until you're fixed up right, ok? Good Luck Arla and SR!!! Salty ( I hope) is racing this weekend too! Go get 'em kids!! Arla- I just scoped out the course for the SF 1/2. Wow, that looks like a lot of fun! Small suggestion, find the largest hill you can and get jiggy with it for the upcoming months! It looks like along the bay isn't too bad, but you can't run through that city without hitting some major bumps. I used to ride a bike on them babies, they'll make you tough for sure! Jewels- sounds like you have a sensible plan for your half. Take what your knee allows but don't push it too hard. I'm sure your Sis and family want you in good health and it's only one race.They'll be plenty of others! I do hope that it holds up for you though! Carol- you have a tremendous sense of humor! You really crack me up. Your numbers are fine by us and it sounds like your training is going well! Kelly- I'm going to get up skiing this season or else! I really miss it and have had a call from my good friend I grew up with trying to get a day trip to Hunter or a weekend up to one of 3 sisters in NH. Sounds like you're down on not running much, but at least you're up on there playing on the mountains! And what's not to like about making teddy bears,eh? Ev- my new Kayano's are the blue/black variety, thanks for asking. They feel good so far but should get better too. Nice going on your 6 miler and sweet weather as well! My guess is you're rooting for the underdog on Sunday,or whoever is behind.Think I'll whip out my SB 42 dvd tomorrow and enjoy their last day as SBXLII champs. Cry Jim- I envy you too for being up those mountains! (and you too Cindy!!) Have fun up there, hope your back cooperates.You ought to learn how to pick things up straight young man, you'll be better off for it! Nice solo progression run tonight. Realatively warm at 35* with increasing wind. 10.5m at 9:30 pace but chose my route so the last two miles were downhill and downwind and I finished strong. Have a Great weekend everyone!!! Cool

Leslie- I agree with Ev- you ran after all that?!?! Are you Superwoman?!? Glad you're getting better!! Smile Take it easy until you're fixed up right, ok?
        Thanks, guys, but it's more like trying to keep my sanity. After the 10th, I won't be able to do anything for two weeks. Gotta get in what I can now. Boo hoo, huh? Wink Arla - I didn't even think about the hills when you mentioned the SF marathon. Joe's right, start tackling some hills, 'cause there's no way around them there. Short, compact steps, pushing off from the front half of your foot, not your toes. Try to get a cadence of 18-20 steps per 20 seconds of running, i.e., count every time your left foot hits, and use your arms for momentum. Another good quad builder is to turn around and run backwards. Just, uh, make sure you take a peek behind you every few seconds.

Leslie
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

Have great races Arla and SR, have fun!!

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Just googled the Surf City race.......looks like a beautiful and fun area for a race. Have a great time SR and Arla..... 5-miler this morning. Dang knee is starting to tick me off. My cardio felt pretty darn good though. I'm planning on maybe doing a 3-miler on Tuesday and that is it. I've got to get this knee to calm down a few days before next Sunday. Have a great day all........ Jewels
            But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
              Hey there 40ish ones. Happy weekend to ya! Yes, I'm hopped up on endorphins. Just finished 10 (yes that's miles not minutes) with my friend. 11:01 avg pace, not including a store stop for more water and a couple of wait-for-the-light stretch breakas. Couldn't have asked for a more beautiful day. Sunny, cerulean blue skies (ala Mtnchk), and cool. 1st time for me in double digits since fall 2007. No parts appear to be breaking down to much either. Wooohooo! Ev, I'll forgive you on not being able to hold the ice back, but you might want to throw in some weight training so it doesn't happen again Wink Nice run, and great weather for you too. Kelly, you may wind up talking to my hubby...he'd been know to order from Vt. Teddy Bear Co. for V Day. Hey, we all gotta pay the bills, and I would think that those calls would be pretty soft since you're helping people with something they already want. R2, I though only doctors and such took ski/biz trips? Sounds like a great excuse to ski and soak up some altitude! Jewels, glad you're going for it with your sister. Definitely time to baby that knee. My friend has this really nice wraparound knee thing with ice packs stuffed all around. I tried it in and it felt wonderful...she got it from a phys therapy place...maybe something to check into. Dang Leslie, two weeks huh....will they give you some good drugs to keep you from climbing the walls? Seriously, I'm betting the surgery will make a big diff for you. Joe, so you lived in SF? Love that city...hubby and I are planning a trip there in March and I'm looking forward to running along the Embarcadero, and scoring yummy food stuff at the Ferry Bldg. Glad you enjoyed those downhill miles at the end of your run. SR, good luck with the race, and more importantly catching one or more chicks on bikes. Sounds like a worthy goal Smile. Arla, you have fun BEING a chick on a bike and oh yea, that race thing too!
              Progress Trumps Pefection
                Very, very nice Carol.......congrats on the 10-miler and an awesome pace! Shocked Jewels
                But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee

Top 'O the World!

"Well I'm goin' ta Surf City gonna have some fun, yeah I'm goin' ta Surf City 'cause its 2 ta 1...2 girls for evry boooy!". Er sompthin like that Wink. Have fun guys!!!! Hey! Beootiful day up here on the mtn! Sunshiney & lotsa people.. Will be getting together w/some diehards for wings n beer & probably billiards during some silly FB game tomorrow Wink. course, I'm planning on taking Mairead on a lenghty spin around the neighborhood first..the "dreadmill" is b.o.r.I.n.g! For both of us! Jim:hey! Kinda like harvest & you were AWOL, huh? Wink.. so sorry I didn't catch your earlier post! What makes you think its SI joint? I'd be willing to bet its muscular - like your QL or ilio-psoas.just saying that I work on a lot of folks (one today) w/ that same issue... Gotta go! Ciao! Cindy
                  Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                    Carol - Congrats on your double digits!! Woo hoo!! And hey, if you're coming to SF in March, look into to seeing Beach Blanket Babylon. OMG - It is the absolute funniest thing I have ever seen. It keeps up to date with what's going on in politics, the world, etc. We saw it a couple of years ago, and I swear, I never stopped laughing the entire time. And there's a really nice Italian restaurant right next door. The name escapes me, but if you can talk to people at BBB, they can tell you. It'd be a truly fun night. Cindy - Nice to hear from you again so soon! Jewels - Have you seen someone about your knee? There's also these strap things that you can wrap around, above or below, your knee. Don't know if they'd help. Since eating has been an issue for the last 5+ weeks, it's been hard for me to fuel myself for my runs. My trail buddy, Karen, was sick, so I decided to do a road run instead of trail run today. I want to participate in the 8 3/4-mile Trinidad to Clam Beach Run next weekend, and it's all pavement, except for about 2 miles, which is on the beach and through a "creek" (which some years has been closer to a raging river). It was a tuff, tuff eight miles, and the last mile was just awful. It truly feels like I've taken a few steps backward in my conditioning. However, I didn't get the painful burning and nausea that I've been feeling on most of my runs. Ended with the following, which is actually better than I thought I was doing: Av/Best/HR 1. 9:52/8:50/134 2. 9:52/8:18/159 3. 9:35/7:59/157 4. 9:48/8:09/160 5. 10:34/8:47/158 (steep hill) 6. 11:09/8:24/156 (steep hill) 7. 9:42/8:02/161 8. 10:49/8:51/163 Passed a guy on my way out who was doing some major landscaping. When I came back through about 20 min later, he was standing across the street looking at his work. He saw me coming, gave me the thumbs up, and said, "Good for you!" Likewise, I said, "You did a really nice job." His comment really helped as I felt like I was struggling. Tomorrow's a rest day, and oh yeah, we'll be watchin' the Big Game. Go Arizona!!!

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Ultrachick

What's the big game tomorrow? Is it on TV? Do you need cable or a dish? I don't have either of those-will I be missing something big? I'll be out skiing all day and then driving 2.5 hrs to get home-I'll probably end up missing it anyhow. Big grin I had a great day teleing. I did wimp out and didn't run after-my legs are just a little sore. Tomorrow should make them feel real good. It's supposed to be a learn to tele clinic but everyone already has some experience and we're all alpine skiers so we were going down some difficult trails and playing in the bumps. I was not a pretty bump skier. Have a good rest of the weekend and watching whatever that big game thing is you all are talking about. Kelly
                      If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
                        I had a great day teleing. I did wimp out and didn't run after-my legs are just a little sore. Tomorrow should make them feel real good. It's supposed to be a learn to tele clinic but everyone already has some experience and we're all alpine skiers so we were going down some difficult trails and playing in the bumps. I was not a pretty bump skier.
                        I have no idea what you're talking about (except the "bump" stuff), but I know I'd spend most of the time either on my face or my butt - which is how I spent most of my time the two times I tried to ski some 20+ years ago. Big grin

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

I had a great day teleing.....It's supposed to be a learn to tele clinic but everyone already has some experience and we're all alpine skiers so we were going down some difficult trails and playing in the bumps. I was not a pretty bump skier. Kelly
                          I've learned what "slaps" are (at least I think). Obviously "tele" is some type of skiing.....please describe for us flatlanders. Smile
                          Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                            (hand raised)....call on me teacher! Tele = telemark skiing. Sort of a cross between cross country skiing and downhill skiing. Don't know what the technique is called, but when someone is telamarking down a slope, they will often drop to one knee as they turn (heel comes off the ski). Quite beautiful to watch, but looks difficult to do. OK, Kelly...now you can tell me what I got wrong. I've only watched, not done it.
                            Progress Trumps Pefection
                              Jewels....Please consider resting your knee this week. You've already got the fitness for the 5k next Sunday. Rest up and then have fun with the family on that 5k. Joe and Carol...nice 10 milers Carol....I'm impressed by your skiing knowledge. You're from TX....you're not supposed to know about that kind of stuff. Big grin Hey mtnchck....can't beat wings and beer. fatozzing....a speedy 8 miler....those splits are impressive. Good luck on the race this upcoming weekend. And ultra getting some skiing in. I had a nice enjoyable 12 miler this morning. Just under 11:00 pace.
                              Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

flatland mountaineer

Just got home, super "Business Trip"!! Catch up with yall later. couple of dreadful scenery pics for ya. storm rolling in from the west mid day, looking east in the morning

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III