Masters Running

Saturday 2/16/19 (Read 44 times)

dnaff

Death snow here too.  I like that term.  It was more bothersome when walking the dog because she's bigger than me and always seems to pull during the slick spots.

Got in a 3 mile run but the roads were narrowed by snow so I had to pick my way around too much.  In other words, it wasn't a lot of fun.  On the other hand, runnable days have been few and far between so I'll take it!

Joe618

My race went on this morning. The temperature was about zero for the race. So I got in February this year for the race.  February is always the most difficult month to get a race here in Minnesota. But now I got 203 consecutive months with a race.

I only did the 5k they had a couple longer routes but the roads and sidewalks were covered with snow and ice. The roads were better but most of the route was along a busy road and so I had to be on the sidewalks most of the half when we were running the same direction and side as the cars.

My time was 22:47 and I finished second male and third overall. The race was a 5k at the Half Fast Half run here in Vadnais Heights MN. I hope March will be better conditions.

Well done, spinach!    22;47 is quick as well.   Very nicely done, especially at zero and dodgy footing.   Wow...very well done.   And nice to have you commenting!    BTW, our middle son and family live on the opposite side of the Twin Cities from you, in Lakeville, far south 'burbs. 

Oh, am listening right now to Minnesota basketball totally dismember Indiana.   Thank you.

I am totally impressed with a race in each of 203 consecutive months.   That's the type of streak I could get into...never thought of such a thing.   Shoot, I may already have a decent streak going...will have to look at the logs.

I just got in from a delightful, easy 8 mile run.   Totally dry pavement.   It struck me how enjoyable winter runs can be when the wind is calm. 

Now, to finish off the taxes.   Then listen to Purdue try to dismember Penn State. 

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

Five of these little beauties have been hanging out in the same tree type of tree this morning in the courtyard outside my work window.  I couldn't get a good enough picture, so I pilfered from the 'net.  They migrate through here each year.

Image result for waxwing birds

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Joe- I don’t understand why Indiana is so bad this year.  I thought Romeo Langford was going to take them to the Final Four.  I think Vandy dodged a bullet not getting him, actually.  The father is a piece of work.  Vandy lost, of course, to a much better Auburn team but played them tough.  Twitter still is firing the whole coaching staff and all but one player.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Happy Saturday!!

16 hour shift 3a-7p yesterday but broken up with a few hours

of NRP training in the morning

Set my alarm a little early to get a short run in before work today but rolled over and groaned when I saw the vortex message looking for 4 more nurses today!! Still dragged myself out of bed and managed to squeak in 2.5 miles before 7am. Now looks like I might stay until 11p to help the night shift a little. Crazy how short staffed we are right now but nice for making a little OT/DT money.

Happy trails my friends!!

denise

Tramps

I like Waffle House as a guilty pleasure.  Pretty much everything on the menu is heart attack on a plate

Be safe. Be kind.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

.  . . . . 3 days ago I got a check in the amount of $1,200.55 that they owed from the taxes I'd filed back in 2016.   Very unexpected.  My brother will be pretty dang surprised when he gets a $600 check in the mail here soon. 

Hmm...so you're just gonna keep the 55 cents all to yourself, huh?  Nice sister you are!

Way to go, Spinach!

Mikey is doing a 100 mile trail bike race in Alaska, today.  He has always loved bicycling and it is great to see him getting back into it.

After running on the treadmill all week, I finally got outside for my last 16 miler before the marathon.  It felt great being out there and, as hard as I tried, I just couldn't hold myself back.  I was supposed to run it in 1:59 and ended up running it in 1:52:14.  Sometimes, you just have to have some fun.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

good job, spinach!   Nice run, Mike!

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Hello everybody!

Hmm...so you're just gonna keep the 55 cents all to yourself, huh?  Nice sister you are!

covers the postage to mail the check.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

For those new to TomW’s magic, when I was panicking myself
                      into training for the 8,700' of ascents in my first 50-mile ultra,
                      Tom’s purple stifle pills stopped me at 49 miles before
                      I got carried away and overtrained beyond my vow
                      never to train more more miles in total for a race

than the distance of the race.  
                      So far, so good.  
                      Leslie - if those are cedar or something waxwings,
                      maybe get them in the Audubon Society's
                      annual Great Backyard Bird Count
                      that’s going on today.
                      Anybody can contribute.
                      Mike - if that’s the race with so many
                      stringent gear requirements,
                      how does he carry it all?
                      Required Gear
                          Sleeping bag rated to -20F
                          Closed cell foam sleeping pad
                          Bivy sack or tent
                          Headlamp or flashlight’
                          Rear flashing light
                          64 oz insulated water container
                          1-day of food (3000 calories)
                      Recommended Gear
                        Firestarter
                        Stove
                        8 oz. fuel
                        Pot
                        wind suit
                        Extreme conditions mittens & head gear
                        Down sweater
                        Spare poly-pro shirt
                        Neoprene socks
                        Over-boots
                        Gaitors
                        Duct tape
                        Knife/leatherman
                        Map and compass
                        5,000-7,000 calories food
                        cycle tool kit / pump / tubes / etc.
                      ps - though erika has indicated cycle-muting
                      is done even in the winter nowadays up there,
                      cycling 100 miles in February ranks
                      about the same in my brain
                      as ice skating in Florida, . . .
                      or running in Minnesota. . ..
                      Good job Spinach.

pps leslie - yep, I peeked <<<(cedar-waxwings)>>>.

ppps death snow - in skiing, we called it "ice cookies"

and loved sharpening our edges to ski circles on it

around everyone else.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Joe618

Joe- I don’t understand why Indiana is so bad this year.  I thought Romeo Langford was going to take them to the Final Four.  I think Vandy dodged a bullet not getting him, actually.  The father is a piece of work.  Vandy lost, of course, to a much better Auburn team but played them tough.  Twitter still is firing the whole coaching staff and all but one player.

There is a lot of introspection on that very topic around here.   Papers and commentators in Indy, as well as well-connected work colleagues I have in Bloomington indicate a lot of pressure building in criticism of Archie Miller.   I listened to the Minnesota announcers on the IU-Minn game this afternoon and even they commented on the striking lack of effort put forth by IU.   My DW watched it on ESPN and Dan Dackich was livid about the lack of effort. 

Langford is very good but playing as an individual, not as part of the team. 

Glad Vandy at least played tough. 

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

Thanks, Joe.  I don’t get much intell on IU down here.  I got disgusted with the IU basketball message board during the Langford recruitment and the fight for him between Vandy and IU.  A lot of the IU posters were very young and very rude.  I hide my identity on the sports forums and while I’ve never claimed to be a middle aged man, that is what I am assumed to be, so I have SOME credibility.  I was challenged on the IU board as not even being an alum!  So- I don’t go back there anymore.

Mike E

MM #5615

It sounds like you cause trouble wherever you go...

C-R

Thanks, Joe.  I don’t get much intell on IU down here.  I got disgusted with the IU basketball message board during the Langford recruitment and the fight for him between Vandy and IU.  A lot of the IU posters were very young and very rude.  I hide my identity on the sports forums and while I’ve never claimed to be a middle aged man, that is what I am assumed to be, so I have SOME credibility.  I was challenged on the IU board as not even being an alum!  So- I don’t go back there anymore.

and this is why I refuse to referee HS basketball in our state. The fans are insane. Soccer fans for HS are bad enough.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, no post yesterday as I wrapped up my week of being the wing commander (while he and the vice wing commander were at a DT board).  Apparently I was at least a minor topic of discussion at that board too.  Bottom line, is the thought of moving me to SoCal this summer has been suspended in order to allow me to try and complete was I tasked to do in this job.  <Sigh>  Not even sure that's possible but I'll keep tilting at that windmill.  Anyway, 5 miles on Friday.  Following work I drove home for the weekend.  It was raining pretty hard near the Bankhead National Forest, so I decided to skip the Black Warrior 50k this morning (was going to do the 25k) and pull a Surly.  Still went out later and got 6.4 miles at the local nature preserve.  May have been the fastest I'd ever run those trails.  I think the mountain bikers had gone along the trails with leaf blowers.  You could see the footing and unlike the 50k trails (which I've done 3 times), these trails drain well (5 years ago was a brutal mudfest in the 50k).

RunnerKSA, caught part of the game on the radio.  I'd say sorry but Auburn really needed a road win (any win actually).  They started well but conference play has not been kind to them.

Steve, yeah......that sounds a hair too dangerous.

Have a greta night everyone!