Masters Running

The Tuesday Daily - 7.10.12 (Read 408 times)

C-R

Very nice OM.

I'll take some of those cherries if there are any left

Nice 10'r Tramps. Getting solid again.

Very funny Dave.

Good luck PBJ. Careful now.

Recovery days are good for us Masters Ribs. Thanks for the reminder.

Got my second run tonight and it was lovely. Then rode bikes with the family for 5 or so. Now I'm off to enjoy the sunset with DW while enjoying a Goose Island Matilda.

Have a great evening everyone.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Envious, Holly? Why?? You're the one who I see as having the commitment and determination, especially when you talk of finishing up an outdoor run on your TM. I don't think I could ever do that. I'm in awe of you, as well as many others here.

Tet, believe it or not, my coach chewed me out for running 3.5 miles the evening after a track workout a couple weeks ago when he had told me to only do 2. Also that I had done them too fast. I know what you mean, I should do what I love and love what I do, but if I'm paying this person to guide me in my running education, then I should abide by his instructions.

That said, I did go to the workout tonight. Chatted with my GFs there, then went off on an easy 2 mile jog with a couple of them who weren't doing the workout either. It was lovely. And you know what? Two miles really WAS enough.

Lately, I haven't been able to get in here until the evening, and tonight I gotta keep it brief 'cause I have work to do.  Doggone it!

Posie - Mt. Hood is July 28, just a mere two weeks from this Saturday. Eek! Shocked  I'm trying to control my  nerves, but I know they'll get worse the closer the time comes.  It helps knowing I'll have Kate by my side the whole time, but still - 50 miles is 50 miles.  I've only done it once, and that was two years ago.

6 "EZ" miles this a.m. in about 1:06.  I put that in quotes 'cause it's hard for me to run as easy as these are suppose to be.  When you get into a good rhythm, who wants to slow down! 

My legs are still feeling the weekend a bit, but I know they'll get better as I cruise into this taper.  Am debating whether or not to run in the Community Forest again Saturday.  Part of me says I need to get revenge, and part of me says don't be stupid and kill yourself in these final three weeks.  I have little to gain and a lot to lose.  It'll be a toss up as to which part wins the argument. [Don't be an idiot, you idiot, just to prove a point.  Go play with the bears at the less strenuous McKay Tract.]  [Hmmmm . . . . ]

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mariposai

Leslie, don't kill yourself in these tree weeks. Better under-trained than injured at the starting line.

OrangeMat, you so rocked that speed work....btw, you are running those 1000m at a much faster pace than me!!!! 

Ohh wiseone! thanks for the reminder of Long/Short; Easy/Hard rule!!!

It is 7pm now and it is still over 100F, time to go to give additional water to the flowers and veggies!

BTW, I saw a runner go by my house tonight...Surprised...unbelievable!!!! 

I am starting to worry about the hot weather for the marathon this weekend Black eye

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

I am starting to worry about the hot weather for the marathon this weekend Black eye

Is this the weekend for The Light at the End of the Tunnel??  Think "Cool, Icy Butterfly Wings!"

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Mariposai

Yes Leslie ... Thinking ice here under my grape arbor, eating half of a watermelon with a sprinkler running nearby to remind me of blue ocean and cool waterfalls... Still 99 at 8:30pm....insanely wonderful

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

No run today...headed out to the field will see how I do getting in some miles...good runs all...

rhoon - go into the field if you must but just don't go into the bush.

OM, unless you’re under oath, the last person most people tell that that they did something wrong is the person who doesn’t want them to do it.  I guess I’d like see you fudge just a little so coach doesn’t get all the credit for your next PR. 

However, if you’re payin’ him to teach you how to run fast, you gotta do what he says.  Nevertheless, in addition, it would be nice if you could do just a little bit of what you want to do for the fun of it, the evening sunset, chatting with a friend, etc., slowly enough not to unduly disrupt what you have to do to get full benefit from the fast coaching/training. Good luck.
                Leslie - please listen to Mariposai.  As mentioned above to OM, there’s nothing wrong with doing what you want to but, if you have another goal such as speed (OM), distance (you), etc., you gotta put the damper on the discretionary part. You and Erika must be trail-running sisters though with Erika continuing her hilly and hillier runs even with possible shin splints (and even a daunting 15-mile race full of hills this week too).  Let's' hope she listens to mariposai too.

ps - no need to nervous if you focus on how lucky you are.  Without having entered into a 50-miler that’s now starting to daunt you, you’d never get a chance not only to circle around-and-about Mt. Hood for 50 miles in one day but also getting to enjoy so much super forest/mountain/alpine scenery that most people will never see in their lifetimes. Mt. Hood has fascinated me ever since reading about the early skiing in the skiing magazines we'd devour in high school. I’d give anything to be you there now. You are so lucky.

pps - sorry I’m behind but is kate the MM#229 Kate?  She doesn’t live near you does she?  If so, or even more so if not, you are so blessed to have the company of such a veteran ultra-goddess trail runner with you all the way.  It hardly seems possible.  Is it true?  Is she registered? What an angel she must be under the powerful image I have of her finishing a chilly Christmas Marathon back in ought-five (famous too for econo’s redeeming PR I think) to become a Marathon Maniac to say nothing of all that tough trail running she does.  Now I really want to be you.  Bring her up to White River next year.  Have fun. I’m sure you’ll soon be saying “I had a wonderful time” and not “I had a terrible time,”  if you know what I mean.  Good luck.

ppps Tselbs - Don't tell mariposai but  I did it.

Another hour long run for three in a row since Sunday,

Tom, tom - where's those stifle pills you used to have?

pppps posie - it's only supposed to be in the low-to-mid eighties his weekend.

however, the two mile tunnel is a constant 50-degrees.

maybe they'll let us go back and forth six-and-a-half times. Wink

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Tet and Posie have convinced me.  I'll hang out with the bears on Saturday and leave my revenge on the Forest to another day.

And yes, Kate is MM#229 Kate.  She lives in Astoria, OR, and told me many months ago that if I signed up for Mt. Hood, she'd run it with  me.  How could I turn down such an offer!  She is an amazing trail runner - solid, consistent.  With her by my side each step of the way, I know things are going to be just fine.  Heck, she's also an MD.  What more could a person ask for?!? Big grin

PS - She was lucky enough to get her named pulled in the lottery for Cascade Crest 100 (although, checking out the elevation profile - Shocked).

Okay - You and Posie have to quit talking to me so I can go to bed and rise before the sun at 4:00 a.m.

Nitey Nite ~ Sleepy

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Leslie. you don't have to get up at 4am.

Are you sister jay or something?

Yep, you sure are an ulra-trail goddess if you think it's 'lucky' to get in the Cascade Crest 100, especially if its such a good friend.

It's too late for me to do 'em but there's lots of extreme ultras out there, especially something like Badwater, . . . and almost every ultra in British Columbia, but the Cascade Crest 100 is the only race I've ever heard of that truly scares me.   I think they start about where this weekend's Light-at-the-end-of-the-Tunnel does by Snoqualmie Pass but, instead of getting to run down the old railroads 8% downhill grade the valley floor, the Cresters go straight up about 2,500 feet to the top of the first mountain and then go up-and-down several more times for the rest of the morning-day-night-morning.  I really don't know how they do it in the dark.  Make sure kate has an excellent pacer for the darkness. We'll be having good views of some of the ridges they run as we look up a couple of  the avalanche paths along the way. Dove might have to tether mariposai to keep her on the marathon rails-to-trails and off the alpines, . . .if dove can keep herself from getting too bored by all the downhill and not break away for a scamper up to the alpines too.

ps - how did you decide to deal with the bears? Maybe you better go for the hills after all. Wink

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Yes Leslie ... Thinking ice here under my grape arbor, eating half of a watermelon with a sprinkler running nearby to remind me of blue ocean and cool waterfalls... Still 99 at 8:30pm....insanely wonderful

You always makes me smile...Here's hoping for pleasant weather for your race this weekend.

Leslie - glad you listened to Ted and Mariposai.   Save your revenge for later in the summer.....

Tet - three times, heh?  You wouldn't happen to be, ahem, training for anything, would you?   Wink

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

OrangeMat

MM #6177

OM, unless you’re under oath, the last person most people tell that that they did something wrong is the person who doesn’t want them to do it.  I guess I’d like see you fudge just a little so coach doesn’t get all the credit for your next PR. 

However, if you’re payin’ him to teach you how to run fast, you gotta do what he says.  Nevertheless, in addition, it would be nice if you could do just a little bit of what you want to do for the fun of it, the evening sunset, chatting with a friend, etc., slowly enough not to unduly disrupt what you have to do to get full benefit from the fast coaching/training. Good luck..

I'm paying him to teach me how to run WELL, not just FAST. Will I continue working with him past my marathon in November? No idea. Though I'm certainly not going to tell him my plans to run another marathon two weeks after said marathon...