Masters Running

Saturday 12/something/2018 (Read 34 times)

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, caught up in multiple things yesterday and never got here.  Yesterday I gleefully broke rule #1 for a 5 mile run in warm (yep) rain.  In the low 60s so it felt good.  Drove home after work.

This morning was a 7+ run in the 'hood.  8:50 pace.

There have been some feelers to me about moving to a new position.  Not even remotely close to finishing what I was sent here to do, but that may not matter.  We're running out of experienced officers in my career field.  This is a staff billet (blech, but at some point I have to do my turn in the barrel) AND it's in southern CA (HUGE BLECH).  DW not thrilled (understated).  Tomorrow is our 29th anniversary....would like there to be a 30th.  More complicated than that, but all this has only just started.

On a lighter note, DS#2 and I made chocolate biscotti this afternoon.  Haven't tried the final product but all stages of production were good.

Last but not least I have lectured Mass since my senior year in high school (so a while ago).  This year, for the first time, I get to lector Midnight Mass.  I'm very excited.

Jay, as others have said, she has a great voice.

Steve, good tips!

Twocat, all right!  2 weeks in a row!

Holly, Prayers for your father.

Have a greta night everyone!

Moved Sunday to today: long run

25k @ 8:25 aka 15.6 in 2:10

Perfect running conditions, upper 50's and calm. 30k next weekend.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Joe618

Holly, so sorry to hear the news of your Dad...I'm sure you are encouraging him in this important moment.

Nice singing, Jay!!   Great stuff.   Tis the Season!

We too saw some great singing...in Indy last night as my nephew soloed with the Indy Philharmonic in "Messiah".   Just awesome.   Went out afterwards with him, sat ant talked til midnight.   Here I am with my DW and Nephew afterwards.

Then ran 11 on my own this morning, which was fine.   Then started week 2 of training with my DGS#1.  He's liking the running and also noticing soreness after doing all the correct workouts I gave him last week. 

Then tomorrow we watch my DIL (mom of DGS#1) walk at Purdue getting her PhD.   Then a full afternoon party/open house for her at our place.

Good stuff, all.

Enjoy your weekends.

Joe

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

Marathon Maniac #957

Falconfixer - bummer about the So Cal post, with your family so far away.  Hope you don't get it....

Joe - great picture!  Any link to the singing to share?  And congrats to DIL for her PhD!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Congrats, Joe!  Lots of good family news.

Holly- I'm so sorry.  That's disappointing after thinking all was good.  I'm hoping when you go back to CC it will be better news.

Son told me he and his girlfriend broke up- during their Puerto Rico vacation!  He seems to think it is for the best.  He needs a lot of independence, and she really didn't have much else going on in her life but him.  We REALLY liked her, and couldn't quite understand how she could put up with him, but.....oh well.    My son always has some fairly high level crisis going on-  most recently a big dispute with Google, which had disabled his email account of 10 years for "terms of service violations" and wouldn't tell him what he did.  He thinks it had to do with file size when he migrated a lot of files from Apple.  Anyway, he could not get a live person or any answers and had business files that he couldn't access.  I was just getting my outside IT law firm involved when my son emailed Google's general counsel and begged and the guy got it resolved for him.   I mean-  who wouldn't want to take on Google?

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Joe618

Falconfixer - bummer about the So Cal post, with your family so far away.  Hope you don't get it....

Joe - great picture!  Any link to the singing to share?  And congrats to DIL for her PhD!

Falcon, ditto.   "The needs of the service come first" my two sons repeated to me constantly in their Army service.   And sure understand how having enough officers in each discipline can get out of whack, especially at a senior officer level.   Wow.   hope that works out.

No links to sound, Holly, what with copyright law and all.    But it really hit me while we were there just how wonderful and unique live music is.  I have several recordings of Messiah and know them well, yet it's so much richer in a good theatre like we enjoyed last night.   I had the same impression a year or so ago in a totally different genre when I heard U2 play their famous "Joshua Tree" album live with my DS.   Music is just plain different, usually much better, in person.

So your son took on Google, Karen??  Wow.   He has a good model from Legal Mama.   Speaking of music, that reminds me of an ancient song from the early 60s "I Fought The Law and The Law Won".....

Joe

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Sounds like KSA's DS should go back to law school.
                He's got guts and isn't intimidated
                when he knows he's right.

Joe - me too. Another one by The Kingston Trio

from the same era I still know by heart:
                “Well I didn't have a key and I didn't have a file
                So naturally I stayed around until my trial
                the judge was an old man, Ninety-three
                And I didn't like the way the jury looked at me
                . .  . I think they were suspicious”

Planned mile jog over to the bus stop to go over to 24-hour fitness for first spinning class in about two months before second 12K in a week and first 12K's of Christmas out in Kirkland in about 15 years turned into a six-and-a-half miler when the bus went right by me rushing to the stop and didn’t wait so I kept going and got there just in time for DW to arrive to pick me up to go out to IKEA for another mile around their monster store for Swedish pancake w/lingonberry breakfast and Swedish goodies to send to DS and DD along with sister for the holidays as I do ever year when IKEA is within striking distance while listening to Yogi Yorgesson's epic “Yingle Bells,” etc. I used to hear as "Yingling Bells" around the house in an even earlier era. I think Starr too.

Mix - 1950 HITS ARCHIVE:

Yogi Yorgesson

Yingle Bells

I Yust go Nuts at Christmas

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

My son has guts and isn’t intimidated even when he is NOT right......  He engaged in the unlicensed practice of law when he was a college student at UPenn and working part time for a very prominent divorce lawyer in Philadelphia.  She would send him to court and he also took some of her CLE classes for her.  He was heading to law school but, wisely, bailed on the plan since he was coming out of college in 2010 when everything in the economy and especially the legal profession was collapsing.

Joe- I love that song.  It is frequently in my head.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth