Masters Running

Mon Sep 21 Runs and Workouts (Read 536 times)

evanflein

Yeah, I recognize that face on Nate Jr. We used to call that "nipple-lips bliss" when my oldest would do that. Absolutely darling baby!

Jlynne, Disney in January was a lot of fun. I think the weather was perfect this year, but I hear it can be beastly hot or pouring down rain, too. Ours was cool in the morning (the start is some ungodly early hour) but then warmed up nicely and I finished just as it was starting to get a bit too warm. Nice flat PR type course... don't forget your timing chip!

Carolyn, that's why I don't run in the rain at lunchtime. It's bad enough finishing out the day with sweat-bedraggled hair, but the drowned rat look is just a little too much. Nice race for you yesterday, BTW! (I just got to reading yesterday's daily this morning.) And yes my Garmin is always a little wacky on the elevation. I figure it's sort of close, but I did the same hilly run several weekends in a row, and the elevation profile is just a bit different each time.

Snow... yep, we have it in the forecast for Wednesday. It'll just be little spitty sloppy stuff, then highs in the 50's for the weekend again. But it's definitely coming!

I just did 30 minutes of pool running yesterday, then worked for 2 hours in the garden. Gotta get that done!! But I'm feeling the garden work in my back today, which confirms it was a good idea to not do it before Saturday's race. Other than that, I'm a little stiff from the ultra, but not bad. I've certainly felt this way or worse after some long runs so I'm pretty happy with that. I did manage to get them to fix my time... more on that in my RR when I get around to that.

I might run today, might head to the pool again. This week is all about recovery, not miles, so I'm taking it very easy.

I don't know, Lou.  That kid looks drunk to me.  You're not letting him into the home brew already are you?

LOL.  Truly, a very needed good opening for a windy Monday, down about 20 degrees from the weekend.

Karin, I give you a phrase to pass along to your Gran.   I learned it when I moved from Springfield to Hampshire Co.

It is a good response to some of the things/conversations you encounter on a regular basis, and it is:

"Hmm...that's a little too Upper Valley for me."  

Waiting on that report, Northern LIghts girl.  Get twinkling.

Bill, sorry for your loss, and hope your DW is finding peace.

SLO, prayer for your grandfather as well as for all of you sitting vigil.

Great bottles, Mary!

grins,

A

hey Twocat, thinking of you.

Masters 2000 miles

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

erika - is there an rr about someone who ran 31 miles through the northern birches?

ps - for some reason I wore a certain yellow tech shirt with black mesh seams on Saturday,

. . . and kept it on all day yesterday too.  Hey, I should have worn it to work today.

IMG_1974 by Timmy 2. 

===================================

===================================

dave - did you see salmon in the locks on Sunday's Salmon Cycle?

I had to go to baseball game instead .Salmon in ladder at locks by Sedanman's on hiatus

========================

========================

PRIVATE E-MAIL TO AAMOS ABOUT YANKOS LOSING TWO-OUT-OF-THREE THIS WEEKEND

Friday -

a.  Yankos' closer Mariano Rivera comes in in the ninth with a 2-1 Yanko lead planning on his 28 straight save since 1997

b.  Sports Illustrated writers/photos get ready for more Mariano glory as part of SI story on him

c.  Mariano get first two batters out, out.

b.  next pitch - Mike Sweeney doubles

c.  next pitch - Ichiro's 10th home run of year, first sayonara home run ever, and followed his first sayonara anything (single) on Thursday against White Sox

d.  Mariners - 3 / Yankos -2  (that's what our local announcer, a former NY'er says)

Saturday (9/19)

a.  10 - 2 Yanko's blowout revenge ties series

b.   one game to go for Yankos to clinch division

Sunday (9/20) - (7-1)

a.  After losing 11-1 to Yankos in August, Mariners new pitcher (Snell) goes seven inninngs including striking out hated Alex ( who junked Seattle after his early years with the Mariners) after being behind 3-0), etc.

b.  Alex non-hits rest of game before being taken out

c.  second inning - Ken Griffey hit home run #16 with Ichiro and ____ on base.

d.  Yankos pack up anticipatory champagne to take to Los Angeles

A.  Pre-game

there were about 300 fans watching Yanko warm-up and about 100 by Mariners' bullpen.

When we just had to go over to the Yankee's side to see Matsui, when one of the ushers asked me if I was a Yankee fans, "nope, I've hated 'em since 1954."

B.  announcers

even the Mariner announcers fawned over Alex passing Lou Gerhig in Yanko hits and nary a mention of Ichiro becoming the first player since 1908 to get more  than 200 hits a year.

Ichiro hits a two-run home run with two out in the ninth inning Friday night.

It was Ichiro's second walk-off in a row. 

Ichiro hits a two-run home run with two out in the ninth inning Friday night. The long ball was the M's third game-winning homer this season.

Ichiro's 9th 200-hit season

ichi200.jpg

Ken Griffey Jr. follows through on a three-run home run

off New York's Joba Chamberlain in the second inning

Ken Griffey Jr. follows through on a three-run home run off New York's Joba Chamberlain in the second inning Sunday at Safeco Field.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

hopeful, that was quite a day your husband had fishing.  breger, condolences on the loss of your father in law.  SLO, positive thoughts going your way for your grandfather and the rest of the family.

There was a lot of fine racing over the weekend for holly (half), Jlynne (2AG in 5K), CNY (4th woman and 2AG in 5mi), evan (50K), ribs (1AG in 5K), eliz (half), nono, henrun (1AG in 5K), marj (1AG in 5K), wild (2AG in trail race), and SLO (tough , 3 event race).  There were also a lot of long runs, some real long, for fatozzig, roch, Tramps, Walt, PDR, perch, WRFB, mari (with speedwork), dg, Sarge, breger, CNY, Seattle Paul,  and SLO.

This morning, it was in the mid 60s with some wind and humidity.  I postponed my run for about an hour to let some rain pass through and then did 8 miles in a little under 1:20 for a 9:57 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Lou, what a priceless photo!  Thanks for sharing it!

My running partner and I went down to check out the course of my upcoming HM in New Hampshire this morning.  She's just volunteering at the race, but she said she'd go with me to look at it.

We parked at the start line, and ran 4 miles north, along the shore.  Talk about flat!  Reminded me of running on a track.  Our overall pace after 5 miles was 10:57, which is fast for us.  My pace for all 8 miles was 11:02, so I was happy!

I will think carefully about what to wear that day.  There is NO shade on the 5-mile stretch next to the ocean, so wind and/or sun could be an issue.  It would also be easy for me to go out too fast and burn out early, so I'll have to hold myself back.

After we got back to the car, we stretched and got some water.  Then we drove the entire course.  I am SO glad we didn't run it, because at one point the course takes a right turn on Presidential, but the street sign was missing!  We had to ask a mailman which street to turn on.

Once you get into the residential neighborhoods, there is a good deal of shade.  Very few "hills," for the most part, and they are very gentle.  The one exception is a pretty good hill a little after mile 8.  It's cool to get to the top, though, because the view of the ocean is beautiful.  The houses along the way get fancier and fancier, until they are actually mansions.  We said, "Wow!" a lot.  Neither one of had ever been to Hampton before - what a hidden jewel!  There must be a lot of gardeners in the area, because every yard was beautifully manicured. It will be so much fun to run by these places to have a chance to see them better.

I felt GREAT after the run, so I'm psyched.  13 days to go!

evanflein

1.4 mile recovery run at lunch on the treadmill. That was it, goal was 2 miles but my legs let me know they really weren't ready to play again just yet. Mainly my right foot and AT (??), which is odd because the AT caused me no problems during the race Saturday. Then I walked a bit, and did 20 minutes of core/ab stuff and some of my PT exercises. Hardly even broke a sweat!

Tet, I'll get to it, really... just been sorta busy and it won't be real long.

Maniac 505

Jon, 

saw the salmon,  skipped the perkins lane side trip,  got my first scratch on my road bike.  Scary 3 bike pile up when the guy in front of me decided he had to stop suddenly. luckily, no damage or injuries.  It was a perfect day for a ride.

just got back from the gym,  I am sort of out of bicycle shape and feeling it a little from yesterdays ride.

Erika,  looking forward to the RR

Dave

wildchild

Carolyn

Dave, glad the bike pile-up was minor.  Speaking of which, where's TimBo? Haven't heard from him lately...

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Slo

5.24 mile semi recovery run.

It was terribly buggy. Drenched in sweat and covered in nats.....I'm still digging them out of my eyes.

spacityrunner

WRFB:  that picture made my Monday a whole lot easier.  thanks!

I don't usually run on Monday's but I am taking care of my friends house while she and her hubby tour Europe for 3 weeks, sooooo it is 2 miles from my house.  Perfect running distance.

4 miles in about 45 min.  felt good...and i will get to do this several times over the next 3 weeks

good runs and good night everyone.

Trails Rock!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Tet, I'll get to it, really... just been sorta busy and it won't be real long.

you're a newbie to the ultra-marathons scene erika and probably don't know the mile-by-mile ultra-RR breakdown forumla, especially appropriate since it's the Equinox,  it's your first ultra, it was so competitive, you're our marvelous equinox goddess, no need to  abbreviate one mile at all, especially turning strategy going up Ester Dome, the ED turnaround,  the harrowing chute, getting shunted past the marathon finish, etc. etc.

thanks.

ps - please check with ultra-M veteran Tom D. re appropriate detail.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/MastRun/Forum/Post/24cbd9528d194e5780dbeb6eeedacd94#focus

Congrats!  I never understood how folks can do a mile-by-mile recap. 

============

Dive - scary; how's Bianca? Was she with you?

==========

beer - that's probably the kind of look I deserve from erika after being so worried about anyone undertaking their first ultra-marathon as an extension of a marathon course already designed by some skiers to be the hardest route possible for pre-season training.   

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Maniac 505

============

Dive - scary; how's Bianca? Was she with you?

==========

She was.  damage was mostly limited to handle bar tape and a scuffed saddle.

She was a bit shaken up, but is recovering nicely

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

thanks dave. I know you'll take care of her, especially if she got scuffed there, especially since she got to many nice comments last time.

SteveP

Thanks for the picture WRFB

Prayers out to your family Slo Hand

DW hauled the dog and I out for a mile and a half....She's been quite the blessing to me.

SteveP