Masters Running

Mondaily, 5.16.22 (Read 38 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' Masters.

I had a great time at the meet-up with the New England chapter of RA in Somerville, MA yesterday afternoon. It was so good to see everyone in person again, and to just be able to chill and chat for a while. As Stumpy pointed out afterward - for a running group meet-up, we spent very little time talking about running! Henry is doing a great job of getting around on his recently-surgicized knee (with assists from Marj). Thanks to Twocat and his DW for driving 3 hours to join the fun, and for providing an amazing dip for us all to enjoy. When's the next meet-up?

So, lawnmowers: I ordered one from Lowes for which, ultimately, they couldn't tell me when or even if it had shipped. So, based on the advice of one of their customer service folks, she zeroed out the first order and I reordered. Then I got frustrated with the whole process and so, in about an hour, I found one locally (same price), arranged for curb-side pick up (where someone else put it in the back of the car for me), picked it up and got back home. I immediately called Lowes to cancel the reorder, and they said they couldn't, even though they could provide no proof that it had left their warehouse. I called FedEx to refuse both orders. They took my info for the first lawnmower, but couldn't for the second because, according to them, the shipper hadn't yet released the package to FedEx. I refused the first mower because it came here anyway, and will do the same with the second. I probably could have gotten away with keeping the first for which the price had been zeroed out and for which Lowes had no clue about what happened with it. But then I'd just be a bad customer taking advantage of their bad customer service and tracking system, and I didn't want to stoop to their level.

Laid low by a stubbed toe: Getting out of bed this morning I banged my small toe on the leg of our bed frame, and oh my!!! I don't think I broke anything, but a sprain is a possibility, I suppose. It looks OK but is not exactly painless. So, instead of heading out for a walk, I laid back down to let my toe calm down. It has, but I'm hobbling when I'm walking. So I'll take some ibu, and will try for some semblance of a walk later.

I hope you have a better start to your greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Good morning Jay. Thanks for the start, and I'm sorry about your stubbed toe! Nothing hurts worse than that. I hope you get your lawnmower situation resolved, because it sounds like you could have more than you want or need!

A great picture of the Masters meet-up yesterday. Everyone looks good!

IRC here this morning. 59 degrees, clear blue skies and no wind. We enjoyed being able to see the lunar eclipse last night too.

We spent the weekend watching 3 grandsons play baseball in 3 different cities  Our middle grandson, Ben, took 2nd place in their tournament. The other two didn't do quite as well. They all have great attitudes though, even when one of them gets a trophy and the other two don't. For the most part, anyway.

7 run/walk miles this morning, 12:04 pace. Finished with 20 minutes of core and stretching. Off to fertilize the perennials.

Have a great day everyone!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Huh? It's not raining in Seattle this morning? After so much rain over the weekend purifying even Seattle air, the hillside trail was fresh full of springlike aromatics although quite muddy..

Roch/Steve - knowing it from foreign fisheries workers, it's too bad returning seasonal workers who've proved they can perform essential seasonal work in the U.S. without breaking any laws, moral depravities, visa violations, etc. can't be accorded some sort of priority preference, priority processing, etc. However, unlike Michigan, Washington is a sanctuary state hiring undocumented aliens without regard to visa status so it doesn't matter that much out here.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

I thought I posted!  I'm losing it!   Thanks for the start, Jay, and I hope the toe settles down.

Got home late last night- plane was a little delayed on the runway in PHL.  I was REALLY tired.  Got up this morning and did 5.3.  Humidity was a lot less than my weekend in PA and it felt pretty good.  Even just being gone 3 days I had a lot of household things to deal with, and we had to upload our proof of vax into the Virgin Islands travel portal to be cleared to enter the islands on Friday.  Nothing is easy.

I'm glad I went up to PA. It's good to see these old friends and I went by my childhood home and was a creeper and took some pictures.  It was good to see my son.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Hi Dee Ho, Friends -

Love the RA meet-up pic!

And sorry, Holly, but I can't help myself.   I have to tsk tsk about the no helmet.  You only have one head. 

Nothing for me yesterday, workout-wise.  But while The Hub was working, I did 3 loads of laundry, changed the sheets on the bed, planted some flowers, 2 cherry tomato plants and a blueberry bush, made a cream cheese pound cake, and while it was baking made spaghetti.  Also cleaned out my cookbooks and brought a stack of them to work to give away.  What's left will be donated.  We have an ant issue, which is very typical of our area, and killing those little suckers and cleaning up afterward prompted the cookbook cleanout.

Also no workout today - yet.  I'll get it done after work. Crappy weather kept me off my bike, but I should be able to ride most of the rest of the week.  For a well-spent $30, the bike shop put the racks on our bikes on Saturday and my mirror, so I'm set.

Okay - I have to do some research on Oregon probates.  We are doing a CA probate, but an ancillary probate needs to be opened in OR for a piece of property.  We have an attorney who is licensed to practice in OR, so I need to do some research to see how feasible this is going to be.  A sad - and very bizarre story - of how the decedent died.  He was coming back from a hunting trip in ID he'd been on with his son, was driving down a highway in WA (alone), and a steel plate slid off a semi that was in front him and went through his windshield. What are the chances????

Enjoy ~~

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Happy Birthday, Starr!!!

Comic Design Happy Birthday Card | Birthday & Greeting Cards by Davia

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

What a horrible accident, Leslie!  I hate that!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Dave59

Happy birthday Starr.

I went to Planet Fitness this morning for some time with weights.

Not much else to say.

Holly, the matching shoes!!  LOL, I hadn't noticed that until Murray pointed it out.

And congrats on not 1, but 2 job offers!

Murray - I hope the race in Kelowna is on a cool day. Doesn't it get hot there?

What a fabulous photo of the Boston meet-up!

I was confused by the lawnmower saga as well; glad Jay cleared that up for us!

I've tasted those morels Mariposa talks of....wow.

I did a 2.5 mile walk yesterday, half of it in a good rain shower.

This morning I walked with my DD to the bus stop and back, more fun than walking alone.  About 1.7 miles.  I hope to get out for another walk today, as it is sunny and mild for a change.  At some point, I will try jogging again.

I'll have to cut the grass either today or tomorrow, wait, there are 2 healthy young men at my house right now....that's my problem, I have a hard time delegating work.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

MurrayM

Murray - I hope the race in Kelowna is on a cool day. Doesn't it get hot there?

Me too!

Average high temps for Kelowna in early June are 23C (73F) which isn't so bad, but up here daytime highs have been 10C (50F) so it's a bit of a jump. This spring has been cool Province wide...my fear is that it's going to rebound/jump to 30C (86F) in which case I will suffer horribly 

Have been running with an extra layer on in an attempt to get ready for hotter weather, but not sure it's going to help.

Have been running with an extra layer on in an attempt to get ready for hotter weather, but not sure it's going to help.

Two Words: Ice Bandana.  So long as it's not humid, they're da bomb.  Try to find one with a chamois inside.

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

MurrayM

Two Words: Ice Bandana.  So long as it's not humid, they're da bomb.  Try to find one with a chamois inside.

Thanks for the tip! Have seen those used in desert running videos and look like a good idea for sure.

Read an article this morning that talked about the importance of trying to pre-cool your core temperature before the start. Maybe I'll try to impress the locals by doing my pre-start warmup with bags of ice on my neck, in my armpits, and (brrrrrr) in my shorts 

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Average high temps for Kelowna in early June are 23C (73F) which isn't so bad,

...my fear is that it's going to rebound/jump to 30C (86F) in which case I will suffer horribly 

Murray - the Seattle RnR gave out ice bandanas one year but I've never seen 'em ever worn around here though we could have during last June's record temps up to 108F except covid canceled everything of interest.

ps - I'm sure it will never happen again but the same hot spell got it up to 114F in Kelowna last June too. Have fun.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

MurrayM

Murray - the Seattle RnR gave out ice bandanas one year but I've never seen 'em ever worn around here though we could have during last June's record temps up to 108F except covid canceled everything of interest.

ps - I'm sure it will never happen again but the same hot spell got it up to 114F in Kelowna last June too. Have fun.

114F...EEEEEGAD...that's 45C!!!!

This spring has been the polar (pun intended) opposite to last year temperature wise. It's a morning run and the slope faces west, so will be receiving a glancing blow from the rising sun.

The hottest it's ever gotten here is about 37C or 98F which my Irish/British genetic heritage leaves me ill prepared for.

Light rain would be awesome.

I was so confused by Jay's saga that I sold my lawnmower and now  have no way to cut my grass! 

Happy Birthday, StarrQ

Whew! Long day, but a big payoff in the end that I'll elaborate on some time later. I came to the conclusion on the way down that driving is just not as enjoyable as it used to be, and I'm not sure if that's changes more in me or in the world in general. Mainly it was all the traffic and construction that I just couldn't get away from. I expected it on I-75 down to Hollyland, but then I swung over to Xenia and down US-68 to my destination and the roads were still busy and congested. The last time I was down that way was around 15 years ago, and most of my past trips were 20 or more years ago. So no wonder  things are different, and even my destination town, Maysville, KY is less recognizable (again, is that due to the town or to my memory?). At least the Hampton is very nice compared to the third-rate hotels they used to have before it was here (Super 8 was one of the better places I used to stay!).

Now to see if my old favorite restaurants are as good as I remember them...

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"