Masters Running

Sunday Snow, Ice and Runs? (Read 488 times)

My race was cancelled! Sad I was wondering why the port-o-potty line was non-existent! But it was -2C, and 25mph winds so I was Smile about that actually. Real feel was -10C when it gusted. I don't think I was dressed warmly enough anyway. We got some snow yesterday, and there was a bit of ice on the sides of the roads. They didn't want to chance running the race and having people wipe out on the steep downhills. About 1000 people showed up and we receivced our goodie bags and will be getting some sort of refund. Came home and made pancakes! I will get some miles in (a tempo or interval workout) at the gym later. Erika, I don't know how you do it, my face cheeks were durn near frozen.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

oh enke, I'm so sorry. I don't think I've ever heard of a PNW event being cancelled. Though the ice and snow would have derailed any PR'ing (though maybe not as it's a 12 K isn't it?), you were so primed for a good run and would've been an AG/sex contender for sure. Not so crowed at the annual Jingle Bell 5K but I still couldn't spot divechief and francesca amongst the 8,000 or so santa clauses coming up Fifth Avenue along with elfs, reindeer, wrapped presents, a shirtless guy (timmy's brother?) all singing jingle bells at the turn-off to the I-5 Express Lane tunnels. I sure never realized how many people stop to tie their shoes in the first one-half mile of these things. They made up time, however, by glissading down the icy sidewalk to the tunnel. However, I was more than rewarded at the finish when a heard a sweet italiano voice and there was dea francesca and family with tall and handsome divechief. Dive was hardly winded and bundled up almost as much as I was for standing around, doing his best Stevie Ray impression with several layers of jacket, shirt, etc. while franci quicky switched from running attire to winter wear from the beach bag dh had brought along. timmy - dedicatin' today's nonrun to last night's news that the end is in sight. DickyG - it's been a pleasure enough getting to taper with other boomer buddies this winter and I especially appreciate your kind words about Arnold Palmer. He's one of my heros too (even though I'm a nongolfer, Jack Nicholas is just an upstart).

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly, are you training for a race coming up? You've been doing a lot of 15+ milers so just wondering...
        No, nothing on the books until the ORRRC Marathon on April 5. I've just been looking a lot like Tramps' picture before I suit up to run, and we've had some extra eating events recently. Plus I've been taking advantage of having no kid-related Saturday morning activities to run longer on some weekends. Today I was able to run longer because DH has a cold and didn't want to go to church. Enke - please post in Farenheit. Just because your numbers look so much scarier in Celcius, that doesn't make it fair to those of us who don't think in that temperature scale. Big grin

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Just for you Holly, It was -2C (28F) with winds at 41km/hr (25mph) and a feels-like temperature of -10C to -8C (14-16F). Sorry, I know you guys run in that stuff all the time and I'm a wuss. It was the wind that was bad, little whirlpools of snow swirling everywhere. Otherwise it was fine. So glad the jingle bell run went on as planned.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Good afternoon - Rest day for me, although the soreness from Friday and yesterday seemed to reinvent itself overnight. But nothing that a good round of bathroom cleaning and vacuuming couldn't alleviate. Looking outside, we're having a brief moment of sun, but it's still cold with more rain and snow up higher in the forecast. DickyG - The snow yesterday wasn't anything like what others here experience. Not by a long shot. It was actually very pretty, and we were bummed we didn't have a camera. From my front door, I can see Kneeland, which is completely covered. The Hub called this a.m. from San Antonio, comes home tomorrow. It's been a nice holiday of solitude for me. Wink He asked if I'd taken out anymore Christmas decorations Dead . Guess I should at least pull out all the Disney figurines in which we've invested a small fortune over the years. Then . . . I . . . am . . . done. No more. Alright - off to do laundry! For DickyG: (From Telegraph, London, England) Abbie Hawkins, a hotel receptionist, thought her mobile phone was ringing when she felt vibrations coming from her clothes. But she later discovered the tiny creature tucked away in the padded pocket of her underwear. As staff and colleagues crowded around, Miss Hawkins, 19, produced the frightened bat, which was the size of her hand. She said: "Once I realised it was a bat I was shocked, but then I felt quite sorry for it really. "It looked very snug in there and I thought how mean I was for disturbing it." Miss Hawkins said she got dressed at 7.30am and arrived for work at the Holiday Inn Norwich North, near Norwich International Airport without noticing anything unusual. "When I was driving to work I felt a slight vibration but I thought it was just my mobile phone in my jacket pocket," she said. It was not until her lunch break, at midday when she felt a strange movement inside her bra, which had been hanging on her washing line the previous night. "I plucked up the courage to investigate and I pulled out a little baby bat. I just lost my breath when I saw it and I did not know what it was at first," she said. The teenager's general manager freed the bat in the hotel garden. "I keep thinking how could I have not known it was there?" Miss Hawkins said. "I will certainly be checking my bras every morning from now on." Jaime Eastham, of the Bat Conservation Trust, said they had never heard of a bat being found in a bra before, but said it gives a whole new meaning to "artetians."

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

I just got to work after the morning in Seattle for the Jingle Bell 5K. Not as cold as I feared , quite a bit of snow and bad roads near where I live. I met Divechief before the race , so we lined up together at the start line with DD and DS1. Cameron and I were wearing as many bells as we could get our hands on....I ,unlike DS, skipped Santa's hat.... The race course wasn't beautiful... but at least dry with only a few patches of icy road where I took it really easy to prevent any falls. Really slow , congested first mile then the road was more open and I managed to finish ahead of the kids in about 23:40 I think, no chip and useless Garmin since I forgot to turn it off! The real treat was finding Dave again at the finish line and Tet!!!!! Enke: too bad they xld the race!!! I was thinking about you, the Eastside was definitely worse hit by the weather than Seattle. Have a good Sunday all!!! Francesca

Renee the dog

Up too late last night. Up too early this morning. Been running all day, but no running yet. I'm exhausted. As I'm not training for anything at the moment, I think I'll wait until it gets dark and do a 3 miler with Renee for her evening walk. dg, yeah, my son likes pomegranate. A lot! We sit and eat the seeds together and he pretends to read my laptop. I always make sure we both dressed in red or purple when we do it. Wink

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

12 miles, left my watch at home so I don't know the pace, 27F wind 30-35 mph.
                  Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

King of PhotoShop

What a great weekend we had with LaT. and Opie as our houseguests. They arrived on Saturday and I fed them dinner while we all agonized over the weather forecast for Sunday. Prediction was for high winds and temps in the 70's and that's just the way it turned out. Here we are at dinner. I overcooked the chicken a bit, but the salmon came out just right. We had a pasta salad, Tamster's bread and a green bean and red bell pepper dish with ginger and sesame. The Saint made a spice cake for dessert: We got to sleep early and woke up early. After a light breakfast I drove them to the American Airlines Center where we met up with JJChaney and his gf Jo, who is just lovely. She was kind enough to take this picture for us, and just before we shot it, Tim (wa5yom) showed up, so we got him to join us. That's JJ, LaT., Opie, the Saint, Tim, then me. So the gun went off, sending 17,000 runners on their way and I hung around a bit, then jogged out to the 11.5 mile spot and waited. Poor LaT sacrificed her own race to pace the Saint, and although it was no effort for LaT, the Saint struggled a bit due to the conditions. I ran to the finish with them. The Saint was pleasantly surprised to find that although she had a tough time, it was still a PR for her in the Half by a few seconds. On a better day she would have smashed it. I don't know how Tim did, but I got text messages on Jim. He will tell his own story, but he didn't have the race he expected. I think that when he saw how difficult the weather was, he dialed it back on purpose as his splits were even in the second half of the race. My guess is he saved it for another day. So the Saint has a new PR, LaT is a delightful guest and new friend to her, and I got 5 miles in. We're lounging around now and will head out for Mexican food later. Spareribs
                    Mariposai

Hurray to the Saint for her PR!!! and thanks to La Tortuga bella for pacing her. I was thinking of the racers there this morning as I went out for a run. It seems like all of you had a great time. That Ribs is a great cook, I have been told. There is also rumors that the Saint is a marvelous hostess. 8 SSMile milesfor me(Slow, Snowy Miles). First time in the snow this year. It took a while to find all my gears. This is the time of the year when in my area hopping on the TM is so much quicker than taking the time to dress for the weather. WTW...thanks divechief for the runner's world's what to wear website...it was mighty useful to me this morning. Mighty happy with my first 44 miles week this training cycle.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

perchcreek! Yes, the beer definitely helps Big grin And 2500/year -- wow!
                        Shocked Now THAT is some serious beer drinking. I doubt I put away 25/year. WTG Perch!

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Skip Big grin Big grin Congrats to the Dallas gang! Thanks for the pictures Ribs!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

ok, evryday, that beats my sucky weather. I am a wuss, and I do not pretend otherwise. After pancakes, and a bit of time, went to the gym. Did 8 miles 2 mile 2w/u @ 5.4mph 2 miles @ 7.2mph (8:20) walk break 1 mile @ 5.4mph 2 miles @ 7.0mph (8:35) walk break 1 mile @ 5.6mph So four slow, four fast. I developed a side stitch towards the end of the first fast miles and it never really left me. Bummer. I probably would have done another 2 fast miles if not for that. Enjoying my post non-race wine and cheesies reward now. Jealous of all the good food and good looking people (and warm weather) there in Texas today.

TammyinGP

Great pic of great friends! Congrats to the racers! I went out for a 3.5 mile run today, part of it on trails. Dogs were quite muddy when we got home. Yesterdays run in the falling snow was more fun than today's run in the drizzle, but I still enjoyed it. Had fun this afternoon playing with my son and new cool toys he got at his birthday party yesterday. His friends sure know how to pick out great stuff! dicky - do you have any special desserts you make at Hanukkah time? I'd like to try something new this year. have a good rest of the weekend!

Tammy

wildchild

Carolyn

Spareribs, did you say 70F? Shocked That's 65 degrees warmer than it is here! Thanks for the great pictures. Enke, sorry to hear they canceled your race. Maybe you should have done the jingle bells run with Franc and Dave! Anyway, sounds like you had a good workout at the gym. I went to the rec center and ran 5.5 miles on the indoor track to put me over 30 for the week. I'm on track to hit 1400 miles by the end of the year.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.