Masters Running

The Ides of November, 11.15.17 (Read 43 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Tuesday's workouts:

RunnerKSA (3.2 morning miles)

Quickadder (5 EZ miles @5 with DD)

Fatozzig (morning workout with Tough Tape #2 + core stuff)

Spacityrunner (3 cool, flat trail miles under overcast skies)

Dave59 (deskside squats & lunges + walk through town for books, coffee and cupcakes)

Holly (4 morning TM miles, watch Rogue One)

Catwhoorg (12 lunchtime bike miles + 8+ post-work running miles)

Surly Bill (5 evening miles at 7:57)

Falconfixer (8.3 miles, including 4 morning miles + 4.3 at the end of the work day, including 2 sub-8ers)

Congrats on earning the 'gold,' Dave!

Surly Bill - it's all a matter of what you get used to, and what works for you. Early AM is the only time I can consistently work out, so that's what I do.

No pic yet of the 98 year-old, or confirmation from him of his age & DOB. Stay tuned...

DW is leaving this morning for a conference in SC. She'll be back on Saturday - when 2 nieces are also arriving for a 4-day stay.

6.45 quasi-EZ RW miles at J o'clock in 31° temps, under mostly cloudy skies, with a thin slice 'o moon that peaked through every once in a while.

Have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

2.5 Monkey taper miles to start the day.  Rain hasn't started yet, fortunately.

Getting ready for December 4 trial which seems to be going ahead.  Ugh.        Have a good Ides of November, all.

1.5 treadmill miles after work.  4 for the day.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Dave59

Back to the real world at work today. "Thanks for doing your job Dave, now how about an estimated completion date for the next project on the list."

30° and foggy this morning but at least I procrastinated enough that it was getting light outside and I wouldn't need my headlamp.

3.67 pretty good miles.  I was doing my usual old man shuffle when I saw 2 guys coming from the other direction.  They seemed to be running easy but their leg turnover looked like it was double of mine, so I decide to step quicker to the end.  I covered the last mile or so in close to my 5k pace just by taking quicker steps. I guess I need to work on that and make it my normal pace.

Tramps

Dave--getting paid to exercise is pretty sweet. Congrats. (And a good lesson on turnover rate today.)

Mike--we could look into adopting you.  We could use the tax deduction.

Exercises + 3.6 mile run today.  Chilly but bright sunshine, which I love.

Be safe. Be kind.

Good morning folks. Thanks for your usual great recap Jay.

Good luck with that trial RunnerKSA.  My DH is a bailiff for one of the county judges here in town and he's got a court date tomorrow. For someone who's fighting a speeding ticket. Really?   Doesn't seem worth the hassle - or money.

Congrats on all the incentive awards Dave. Nice run this morning.

Went to the Y to run with the ladies this morning, and started out with 45 minutes on the elliptical and some weights waiting for all of them to show up. We got about two miles out and the skies opened up. It was relatively warm here with 43° temps but they all decided to turn around and head back. So, just a tad over 4 miles but boy I was soaked. And cold when we finished!

I don't normally watch this stuff, but have been enjoying the "Law and Order" mini series on the Menendez brothers trial. And have to say that I love Edie Falco in that blonde curly wig!

I stopped at the mall to pick up a birthday gift for one of my friends from work. They're playing Christmas music already.

Singer who runs a smidge

It's National Bundt Day, y'all.  Just sayin'! 

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Tramps

I think you misspelled it.

Be safe. Be kind.

Well now.  The Hub didn't know it's National Bundt Day, but he did get up this a.m. and make what looked like an absolutely incredible chocolate on top of chocolate bundt cake with chocolate glaze for an AA meeting this morning.  The house smelled marvelous.

Mike - I'm sorry, I don't remember exactly what it is you do, but I find it incredible (in a "you've got to be kidding me" way) that you have to use vacation days when you're sick.  What?  Have you thought about shopping around for another job?

Dave - One of the things I'm working on as I slowly make my way back is foot turnover AND picking my feet up behind me, sort of like if I was on a ball and needed to push it backward to propel myself forward.  When I really concentrate on that, everything feels so much easier.

I moved things up to 3 whole miles this morning!  And I can say my legs are deliciously pooped after today and the last 3 days.  It's been awhile since they've felt this way . . . and I like it.

Woke this morning to news of a military coup in Zimbabwe, where we went two years ago.  Thankfully, our military friends are no longer stationed there, but we met so many wonderful Zims while we were there, my heart goes out to all of them.  If you don't know the history of Zimbabwe (formerly Rhodesia), it's worth reading about.  The one time crown jewel of Africa, President Robert Mugabe's criminal government has raped and destroyed the country and it now has 98% unemployment.  It's an incredibly sad tale.  It'll be interesting to see what happens now, because I can almost guarantee you the people who are pushing Mugabe out of power have no better intentions than he did.

So that's that.  Have a good one ~~

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

catwhoorg

Labrat

12 hilly miles on the bike at lunch.

Have to retrieve DD from school so anything tonight could be iffy between that and DS's fever

Zimbabwe once was the "Bread Basket" of the region, so much surplus food exported to neighbours. A real jewel.

Now it is reliant on handouts for its people to survive.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Henrun

Not only is it National Bundt Day, but also National Clean Out Your Refrigerator Day. I returned home from my yoga session to find Marj cleaning out the refrigerator. She must have had a premonition 😀.

mrrun

Cross training day - 3 miles of running, 3 miles of walking and as mentioned above - refrigerator cleaning

happy trails!

marj

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

5 regular walking miles - four to fitness center for shower

and one after to acupuncture.

(Five car miles with DW in-between).

water heater - after waiting most of yesterday to find out that a replacement they brought out to replace the telephone tech told me was needed for the current burned-out, six-year old water heater under a 12-year warranty might just only need some new wiring, an electrician brought it up to code today so now no more reason to go to the fitness center included w/o extra cost on our MedicareB coverage for showers anymore.

first acupuncture - in the meantime, with 25 different MedicareB plans to choose from in the Seattle area before December 7, decided to take advantage of the acupuncture option I'd never done before.  Got 27 needles in 45 minutes in ears, shoulder, hands, etc. and, sure enough, tired shoulders from raking leaves up for about an hour on Tuesday fom the Monday's 10-hour storm, feel normal again.  Watch out straggler leaves from yesterday's steady rains that abated just in time for four miles to the fitness center for a shower before another acupunturer (-ist?) mile.

ps jay - out here, runners who forget to include their ages in the registration forms are lumped together in the last age group to 99, e.g. 70-99, 75-99.  I guess it's a little like the Y2K ruse with no option for triple digiters.

Happy Bundt day, . . . and thanks ziggie.

I was first assuming it was some kind of hat, . . . or a baseball misspelling. .

Thanks for the Zimbabwe update.

As I am more and more prone to do with news, and news casters, etc. I don't like, I turned the radio off as soon as I heard 92-yo Mugabe's name.  No wonder eight-time IM champ Queen-of-Kona Paula Newby Fraser had to get out of there. Too bad.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Zimbabwe once was the "Bread Basket" of the region, so much surplus food exported to neighbours. A real jewel.

Now it is reliant on handouts for its people to survive.

The Zimbabwe dollar became so devalued they eventually went to the US dollar.  We have a $1 trillion Zimbabwe bill that, when it was in circulation, you were lucky if you could buy a loaf of bread with it  Due to embargoes, etc., no new bills go in to the country; consequently, the money is absolutely filthy.  When we went to visit, our friends told us to bring small bills because exchanging anything larger than maybe a $20 would be difficult.  When we would pay for something with our "clean" bills, there were times the money taker would quietly set the bill aside, give us our change, then exchange the same value bill from his/her pocket into the register and take the clean bill.  We brought back a $1 bill that had been in circulation there for a long time.  It looks like you could get typhoid from it.

Our friend was the US military attache for Zimbabwe and Malawi (he recently was re-stationed in Chad, another hot mess of a region).  What information he was able to divulge to us, including a lot of history, was incredible.  The downfall of the country has been near enough in the past that when you walk around cities like Harare, you can see what used to be.  And it's not that the cost of living is less; on the contrary, it's expensive.  Those folks literally live hand to mouth with an opulent presidential compound right smack dab in the middle of things (as well as an opulent presidential manor on the edge of Harare), effectively giving all the citizens the proverbial finger many times over.

. . . and the coup is barely making a ripple in the US news.  I could get on my soapbox about Americans generally have no concept of the world beyond Europe, but I won't . . .

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

Mike - I have been telling you for years to find a new job.  I have trouble believing that in the metropolis of Minneapolis/St. Paul there would not be an employer out there that would be overjoyed to get an awesome individual like you.

{{{people of Zimbabwe}}}

7.5 miles for me this morning on the TM watching Endeaver.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Mike - I'm sorry, I don't remember exactly what it is you do, but I find it incredible (in a "you've got to be kidding me" way) that you have to use vacation days when you're sick.  What?  Have you thought about shopping around for another job?

I send resumes every time I see something even close to what I think I can do, with no luck..  BUT--just today, I received a text from a guy I used to work with.  He just started working for another guy we used to work with and they are wondering if I would be interested in a position with them.  I have a meeting set up for Friday at 3:00.  It's not the exact kind of job I've been looking for, but it has to be better than this...although, the job I had before this one was even worse.  We shall see...

This recovering stuff isn't very fun.  But, I do have a lot of stuff to try to catch up on before I start a new training plan...like figuring out what marathon I need to train for.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!