Masters Running

Finally Friday 3.23.18 (Read 36 times)

Starting us off.    Yay, me.  Got outside in 42 degrees and way overdressed.  It just felt dark and cold in my house......BUT- outside.  3.1 miles done.   MTA  2 miles on the treadmill after work.

Have a good day, y'all.  Or greta day, as we say here.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

coastwalker

Mornin' KSA, and everyone else.

Good job of getting it done, KSA!

Thursday’s workouts:
      RunnerKSA (3 morning TM miles + 2 post-work TM miles)
      Twocat (7 morning TM miles)
      Pfriese (12.5 spring-like, windy miles ‘round the lake)
      Deeze (5:30AM Body Pump + 30 min (10.1 miles) on spin bike)
      Tet (1 for-the-heck-of-it mile)
      Dave (2 post-work TM miles at the gym)
      Surly Bill (4.8 EZ miles)
      Falconfixer (4.1 morning miles at 9:00-8:30 pace + 3+ post-work miles)
      Mike (7 nighttime miles)
      Fatozzig (4 hard-to-breathe post-work miles)
      Evanflein (3.43 elliptical miles in 30 min + .5 walking mile on the track + 20 min ST)
      Bioguy (9 miles, including 3X2 w/ .5 recoveries)

I’m glad that, for most folks, the nor’easter yesterday wasn’t so nasty.

Gotta watch those bed magnets, folks!

Agreed, Holly - I was hurting after sitting through a 3-hr meeting yesterday. It was a great meeting, but far too long in the chair.

Sorry about the min/mile mix-up yesterday, Fatozzig. So, what is going to happen with the trial? Any more shakers?

Tomwhite, finding the best spot for the TENS is always the challenge. I have a good setting, but I keep adjusting the intensity.

Glad you’re feeling better, S. Bill.

Nice return to form, Falconfixer.

Keep working with Eric, Mike, and it’ll pay off.

I went 5.75 EZ RW miles this morning, with my hip telling me “Be nice to me. Don’t overdo it on this workout. You don’t want me to hurt you again, do you?” After stretching, lacrosse ball-rolling, showering, and waking up DW, I walked another 1.6 miles to our favorite dive for breakfast - DW drove and met me there a short while later.

Have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks!

Surly Bill - glad you are feeling better.

The hotel fitness center was surprisingly busy at 6:30am, and both TMs taken, so I did some core work and a few weights exercises, but one opened up after a few minutes, so I was able to get some miles in.

5 miles total.

Usually I slip out a little early on this conference (which I attend every year) in order to avoid the worst of the traffic, but this time they put a crucial session last.  Probably on purpose.   

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

One of the legal conferences I attend has really good drawings at the end of each session to make sure you stay.  I stay until the bitter end and haven't won a thing yet!

Dave59

4 feel good miles this morning. My biorhythms must be peaking.

People always say you learn a lot through failures. Next week then should be a big learning experience for me. It's a long story, but there has been this project on my list for the last few years which I haven't done much with because there are always other priorities. When I did work on it, my analysis wasn't pretty. It was my opinion that what was being requested was not possible on our claim system. Every few months someone would ask about it and I would always say it wasn't possible. A couple months ago we hired back a guy who is brilliant at what he does and when they gave him the project I literally partied. Then, we get a new head of IT and this project bubbles up again. The people who want it are getting pretty upset so he promises them it will be in testing by the end of April.    The guy that has the project now comes up to me a couple days ago and says he doesn't know how to make the system do what is requested.  So it is now time for a Hail Mary. Him and I are going to our NY office next week to try to hash something out with the people who need/want this.  Somehow, meeting face to face for many hours will cause one of us to come up with an idea that will get this project completed by the end of April. At the moment, I see no path to success.  Even if we come up with a plan it isn't going to get done that fast.

I am hoping for another Nor'easter to cancel our flights.

I am hoping for another Nor'easter to cancel our flights.

Hang in there, Dave!!

Jay - Keeping listening to that hip.

We had another jolt last night (4.5).  I was bent over the bed petting Mister, felt a slight roll, turned to say something to The Hub, then we got a good jolt.  The morning one was a shaker (4.6) and just had things going back and forth for a few seconds.  The night one was a big enough jolt that I immediately stepped into the bathroom doorway to hang on and The Hub grabbed the door jam for a second.  Turned my stomach a bit.  Thankfully, we haven't had a good sized quake in a number of years, but that means we're due.

The last one was about 8 or 9 years ago. It was on a Saturday afternoon and I was home alone.  It shook enough to throw things off of shelves, and when it was over I immediately started sniffing for gas leaks.  Thankfully it shook lengthwise across our house.  If it had gone width-wise, I have no doubt a lot of dishes would've been flying out of the cupboards.  Here's "fun" video of the damage, if you're so inclined.

Okay - Enough of that excitement.  Have a great day, friends ~~

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

pfriese

Easy 8.3 mile run to the high school & back for me today.

Paul

Yes Jay - keep listening to that hip!!

Leslie - those shakers and jolts would scare the heck out of me!!

Good luck Dave!!

I met up with friends today to run 8 miles -- 3 of us randomly wore orange tops - so weird, the 4th was in a neon yellow top and just under 2 miles into the run she took a bad spill!! Seemed to have hurt her ankle so we were lucky one of the Sole Misters was around and picked her up. Such a bummer, but we joked around that it was because she didn't choose the right color top today!! Hoping it's just a minor setback for her.

8.1 miles with the last mile the quickest

Tonight going to see a production of Beauty and the Beast one of our Sole Sisters is playing in!!

On a rough note - a friend in my triathlon group is going thru a living nightmare!! Her husband dropped their daughter off at a school activity Tuesday night and he hasn't been seen or heard from since. I can't imagine what her and the kids are going thru!

denise

evanflein

Yeah, we go to a conference every year where they put some drawings for scholarships for the next year's conference at the end sessions. One year I won a $500 scholarship (which is basically a credit against registration and hotel, etc), and the next year my employee won a $1,250 one. Pretty cool.

Hang in there, Dave. I work with folks who love face-to-face meetings. In fact, I'm going to Anchorage next month for one. We have video conference services here, and of course teleconferencing, but there seems to be some productivity magic about these fact-to-face things. And I think you're alone in hoping for that next nor'easter!

Easy on the hip, Jay. IMO, usually a hip issue means there's a back issue or a knee issue brewing.

Deeze, that's just awful. You hate to think something awful happened but hard to be something else, right? Hope all is ok. And good call on the color choice.

Looking forward to running outside today! I found I am out of practice of packing my gear and we were about a half mile from home before I remembered my spikes. Very glad DH was fully on board to returning home to get them or it would be a very abbreviated run this afternoon!

bioguy

Hi all

I spent four days last week in Atlanta at the National Science Teachers Association conference. I presented a workshop, attended a few, and worked in a booth for the Howard Hughes Medical Institute, a wonderful philanthropy that funds amazing research and (teachers like me) plus they make amazing educational science resources. Did not however get as much running in as I should have.

The noreaster canceled school two days this week. We are well over our snow day allotment, not sure how we will make them up.

We had a fatal school shooting in Maryland this week. Our school will be practicing both an evacuation and a classroom barricade this week. When I first started teaching all we had were monthly fire drills. Now we practice for many possibilities....

Got in 8 after work, all of the easy variety, but my heart rate was higher than I'd like.

Marathon i s April 28 so I really need the next three weeks to be good quality.

Deez; keep us posted on your triathlete friend situation.

Tailwinds!

Henrun

Got in 2 this morning-milder, sunny and minimal wind. Went to a Georgia O’Keeffe exhibit at one of our favorite museums in Salem,Ma. This afternoon-wonderful show. Tonight we’re seeing an Alvin Ailey dance show in Boston. (We’re such culture vultures😋).

(((Jay))). Deeze- tough about your friend whose husband is missing.

Re: Leslie- when I lived in California these small shakes were run of the mill but scary.

Plan to go to the student anti gun violence march tomorrow.

deez-  Please let us know about your friend's husband.  That is terrible.

5 @ 7:56 ez effort

missing husband: that's hard to do these days, with phone tracking and traffic cameras and everything. it might be midlife crisis and not foul play. a guy on the Transit forum had his wife ask him to take the sheets off the bed for the wash, and then he heard her start his van and she drove off with the dog. sent a text 10 minutes later telling him not to look for her, she's starting a new life. That was 2 years ago, and he got a text last week telling him where to find the van in an airport parking lot. No word on the dog (most important part). Hoping for the best in this situation, though.

Jay; I have a hip thing going, too. mine is right at the iliac crest. best guess so far is abductor. foam rolling started last night seems to make it better.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

deez4boyz I sure hope it turns out to be nothing with your friend's husband. Like Surly Bill I am amazed anyone can disappear like that.

For those looking to make sure you and your loved ones can find each other there is an app (Android only I think) called Real Time Tracker. Once you "friend" someone they and you can see each other's location. Also, if the other person has their phone's location tracking off (to save the battery for example) you can turn it on remotely and get their current location. You can also send links off to people that will work on a temporary basis. For example, this way you can have your friends track you during a race and disable their ability to follow you after you cross the finish line. The real consequence is that when the ladies in my life go running I can track them to make sure they are okay. Plus, they can track me and help me out too. There was one time when I was traveling and got disoriented during a run. I had no idea which way I needed to go to get back to the hotel. A phone call plus the ability to track me got me back. I am not sure it saved my life, but I was sure grateful for the assist.

Today I spent an hour on the elliptical. Our nor'easters appear to be over for the foreseeable future. Should be a good running week coming up. Well all except for the fact that classes resume. Alas, that work stuff keeps getting in the way of important things.

In case it slipped your mind, join the Rosie Ruiz Fan Club for this year's Reach the Beach Relay on September 14 and 15! We need you!!! We are not looking for speed. Just a group to throw a 30 hour party with in a couple of vans. So join today! Just send me a message via the RA messaging system and I will get back to you. If you have my regular email or prefer sending a Facebook personal message that is fine too. I can guarantee you will have a great time or your, or your, or your clearly in need of psychiatric help! 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Just stopping in, real quick, to say hi and that I ran 8 miles.

That's it.  See ya!