Masters Running

Thursday February 12 Runs, Swims, whatever ..... (Read 672 times)

evanflein

...And I think I look cool.
    And THAT's what's important, right? Good job on the weight training and weight loss, that's great. You'll be back out there soon enough... those shins can be stubborn! Peter, you had me checking my calendar! Enjoy the daffodils, I only see those in stores. You guys on the east side can keep your wind, thankuverymuch. I'm a big baby about running in the wind... meaning, if at all possible, I don't. Holly... THREE months? Holy carp. That does seem excessive. But I can see with the sort of return to work requirements he has they'd want to be sure he was all healed up. When can he start doing the weight bearing and PT? That's important to keep the joint in shape. Congrats on your run with CNY, but with her recovery and your cold, and the wind, I'm amazed you guys made it out at all. I was concerned my legs would feel tired after last night's 10.2 mile run with the hill sprints at the end, but they feel fine. I'll get in an easy 4 or so at lunchtime, then a rare mid-week date night later tonight. Smile
      Thanks Breger.......just got back to the office from lunch. The concert is at the Amphitheater in Pompano. Wanted to find something within a very, very short distance of the venue like a 5 mile radius. We will have a car but just didn't want to be driving around too far in unfamiliar territory at midnight! I did call a couple of places but they want more than a 1 night stay. Jeez, economy is really bad. They outta take what they can get........one night is better than an empty room! It is a hard rock concert we are going to. And I mean very hard rock! Sevendust is the band........ I will check out the Flamingo hotel you mentioned. Thanks again, Jewels
      But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
      stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Sevendust?!?!?!--if you're in the Masters section, you must be too old for them Wink Actually have a few of their songs on my play list (Going back to Cali is one) picked that up from DS, whom I probably drive crazy for liking the same sort of music that he does. Makes it a little harder to be rebellious. whatever.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Since the number of girls who slow down to take a look at me is so great, I have long been familiar with that song. Actually, the song lyric that ran through my head this morning when I logged on here went like this, "I didn't know what day it was, you held my hand. Warm in the month of May it was, and I'll say it was grand..." But I see that Peter has been forgiven and no one is going to shoot him, not even Lorenz Hart. 5.5 miles today, starting outdoors in the park, stretching at the Y, then adding a short jog on the indoor track. An interesting thing happened to me today. While I was jogging on the indoor track, which circles the gym below, one of the fitness instructors down on the gym floor saw me, stopped his group's workout and yelled up at me, "Faster!" I couldn't resist, and dropped down to race pace on that tiny circular track (14 laps to the mile). Well, it felt wonderful. I doubt I breathed any harder, and it was the first time I have run fast since last spring. I am going to carry that image with me all day, and it has made me even hungrier for the day when I can begin to train. Spareribs
          Ribs, which is it? Do the women have to slow down to take a look at you or speed up to catch you? I am so confused.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Wow Holly - that is a long time! I hope they overestimated and he can get back to work sooner. I know that'd kill us too! I too have a bunch of bulbs in my garage that I never got around to planting. Woohoo Ribs!! Sounds like a greta day for you!! Seeing as tomorrow is the daffodil day, here is a photo of what I have on my desk:

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
            It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Stumpy, I was almost hesitant to put the name of the band on here. Everyone would be like what, who? Are you serious, you listen to that stuff! LJ the lead singer is a friends of ours. He is the sweetest most down to earth guy you could ever meet. Oh heck, now you got me singing Going Back to Cali...... Big grin Ya, I'm a master..... but I'm never too old for some hard rock! Jewels
              But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
              dg.

George, that's great. Progress all over place. And cool shoes. Lamerunner... hope your shot helps! Sue,
                so I did savasana while I was reclining in the dentist's chair.
                . I love it. Holly, that stinks. It's so frustrating when you can't get accurate information ahead of time... I know you tried. SR... I'm so glad you got to do that. Smile. We've had a bit of a drama, although it looks like it will be ok. My stepson has been sick for a week. We got a call last night that his wife had taken him to the hospital. Turns out he had appendicitis but didn't realize it, & it had burst. Yikes. They were just about to do exploratory surgery last night when they realized what was going on. They have him on antibiotics (of course) & this afternoon they'll do a procedure where they try to clean out all the infection so it doesn't spread. Scary stuff. He's young & healthy, & sounds much better today. Still, it will be better after it's all resolved! Nothing too exciting workout wise for me this week, but I'm glad it's time to cutback because i've been tired. 4.2 miles yesterday, then 25 min. on the elliptical & upper body stuff.. rows, deadlifts Smile, (in nike frees), weight machines, etc. I was struggling to get through this; it turned out I have some kind of a bug, with an upset stomach. Kind of glad, I have something to blame my difficult workout on! And it's going away. This morning & last night, I did a few core / stabalizing pt kind of things. Any experience with hip pain? (Nono?) Not S/I, illio-femoral? I'm not sure what you call it. This is new, & I don't want to let it get out of hand. Mary, those are pretty! thanks !
                  Hi, folks. I'm back. Did anyone miss me? Big grin EG - Loved your description of your workout. Made me smile. And Ribs - You got wimmin slowin' down fer you. You got speed goin' on in those legs. Watch out world! Surgery went fine. Said there was a lot of scarring on my GB, so all this had obviously been going on for a long time. Finally got released from the hospital last night around 9:30. Some miscommunication between my doc and hospital staff. He thought I'd already been discharged and wasn't too happy. I'm suppose to walk around a lot - hopefully to get rid of all this gas build up in my abdomen, which hurts like heck. And I can start back on my stationary bike next week, but no lifting over 15 pounds for two weeks. He actually encouraged me to do light housework - in front of my hub! Evil grin The nerve! Wink

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Holly S. if you DH takes three months next year for the other knee is there any way to get on disability during that time? I am not really familiar with how it works so this is just a shot in the dark. In the meantime I hope his recovery goes well and that at the end of three months he is back to 100%. Spareribs nice tempo run! Smile fatozzig wishing you a fast recovery. BTW, happy to help with your recovery. Could you come over? Maybe start by getting rugs vacuumed in the family room? Big grin We buried our friend yesterday. Cry Tough week for us. But life goes on. Our friend's family is going to try and get the girl she was planning to adopt out of Russia and have her adopted by her sister instead. Her firm is going to set up a fund to help defray the costs. I very much hope all of this happens. On some happier notes: My DW, whose cooking once put me in the hospital for several days, wants me to make my muffins for the local jogging club's post run coffee klatch this weekend. Pretty funny how she volunteers me to do this! lol Why? Well last week one of the other members brought over some things she had baked (what I do not recall) so now my DW wants to bring some homemade stuff too. Now since she cannot cook her solution . . . yep me. Actually, I will probably do it if only because I want to eat some! Big grin On the music front: My favorite song while coming back from an injury is Chumbawamba's "Tubthumping". The line that makes it the best return to running song is: He drinks a whisky drink He drinks a vodka drink He drinks a lager drink He drinks a cider drink He sings the songs that remind him Of the good times He sings the songs that remind him Of the better times: 'Don't cry for me Next door neighbour...' I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down We'll be singing When we're winning We'll be singing If that does not get you to push forward another mile all I can say is that nothing I can think of will! Happy running all.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

evanflein

Leslie! After you finish up at 2Kats' place, you can come on up and start on mine. Wouldn't really qualify as "lite" housework as my place is a disaster (situation normal), but it'd be a nice change of scenery for you! 2Kat, that's funny about your wife's cooking. If my DH told the world that my cooking landed him in the hospital, he'd better know that the next time I wouldn't call for help. Deb, what sort of hip pain do you have? The hips are a complicated thing, and it can sometimes be hard to differentiate between hip flexor pain, bursitis, lower back issues, arthritis, etc. No fun when they flare up. I'm dealing with arthritis myself and it's a nuisance. I have about 2-3 flare ups a year, but they're getting closer together.
                        evanflein I suspect that I am safe from my DW's threats to withhold medical treatment! She only cooks from the four food groups: canned, frozen, delivery and eat out. Big grin Now if she orders in something with processed peanuts . . . Dead

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Tramps

Some nice running and funny posts today. Holly—cool running with CNY but that’s a long time for DH. Meg—I definitely was thinking of you today with all this wind; I knew you’d be getting pummeled down there too. Ribs—good running; I second all that Meg said. Cranieum—good one Wink dg---yikes; hope the stepson is okay. Leslie—glad your back home and all went well; my brother’s about to have the same thing done in a couple of weeks. “Pick your poison” run today. Either crazy gusty winds buffeting me as I struggled to stay on my road’s very narrow shoulder or just a light breeze that quickly made me realize how hot it had gotten (61F). Either way it wasn’t comfortable. And I should have probably eaten something before heading out. And I should have probably brought some water or at least had some before I left. Anyway….11 miles with 9 @ MP. Memorable running songs today? Hmmmm….2Pac’s “Holler if You Hear Me” is pretty infectious and Parliament’s “Flashlight” came on today; now that’s old, old, old school. Big grin ETA: Oh, and Salif Keita's "Madan" made the mix today, too; great running song.

Be safe. Be kind.

dg.

Leslie I was thinking about you this morning. Glad it went well. What a relief. Of course we missed you. Erika, it starts when I extend my knee to take a step, Then continues as I put weight on it & extend my hip. It's right on the outside, by that joint as far as I can tell. I'm not sure how to describe it. You're right about it being complicated... I just saw someone Tuesday who said I definitely have an S/I joint dysfunction, and he thinks the hamstring/piriformis things are linked to that. I've been hoping this new thing is connected & will just clear up, but am a little afraid it's arthritis. Or bursitis, but that would be ok. My dad has had both hips replaced. I didn't know you had arthritis Sad. What do you do about it? Have you noticed what triggers the flareups? thanks Tramps.
                            evanflein

Deb, if it's on the outside of your hip it's most likely bursitis. Arthritis pain in the hip is deep on the inside of the joint because it's where the ball rubs in the socket. Mine flare up when I get run down, oddly enough. Doesn't have to be running related... not enough sleep and too much sitting seem to aggravate it. My dear mom has had both her hips replaced (and both her knees, and will have her second shoulder done on the 23rd), my sister has had her thumb joint replaced, my grandmother had both her hips done... Arthritis really runs hard in my mother's side of the family, but so far I'm doing pretty good. I credit the running and working out with holding it at bay, and Glucosamine/Chondroitin does seem to help. I've upped my dose and hope that improves things soon (give it 4-6 weeks to notice a change). Good ol' vitamin I helps, too. (but I'll bet yours is tendon or bursa related...which is good because it's temporary, albeit painful)

Marathon Maniac #957

This deserved a second posting.......(...dreaming of spring flowers....)

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."