Masters Running

Friday, April 18.....(Boston in the air) (Read 489 times)

GOOD MORNING. Friday is here and I know that many have great plans for the weekend, including many of our group traveling to BOSTON for THE Marathon. Each of us share in your excitement. We will have a Boston Marathon Thread going during race day to post your progress during the race. I already know my work effort will be limited as I follow EACH of you along the way. While there are many of you who will be running in the race, you EACH have YOUR OWN STORY. I could review your backgrounds here, but will spare you the details for time and space sake. Some of you have come from previous injuries to wisely train and now be able to run. Some have had recent scares of injuries that hopefully is not going to affect you. There has been excellent training, tapering, and preparation by everyone. New outfits have been bought. For several this is the first time running Boston. History says it will be the only time for some. Others have run here before and have Boston PR's to attempt. Whatever your story..........ENJOY THIS EXPERIENCE OF A LIFETIME. For Marathons, it does not get any better. I know you also will enjoy the Master Boomer gatherings and the rest of us are jealous of you for that. Thanks to each one in the Boston area for being wonderful hosts and helping with arrangements, directions, and guidelines to visitors. Enjoy your social gatherings as well. We expect good reports and lots of pictures. Of course, we also will be thinking if Amy.......each mile of the way. May God bless this little special girl and the many like her who benefit from such attention and emphasis. Thanks again Bob. Have a good day everyone......Now post your runs......and let's build the excitement of THE BOSTON MARATHON.
    Vista
      What a great post Vista. The Boston Maratho marathon is to be cherished. What an experience. Enjoy. No running today as I have no run until my half marathon on Sunday and the 14K cooldown afterwards. Enjoy the day Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! What a lovely way to start us out, Joey, thank you! Tall - good racing Sunday. I have been reviewing my GOALS for the weekend and have come up with this list: 1. Have a wonderful weekend away with my husband. 2. Enjoy the meet-ups with these wonderful people I have been virtually linked with for more than 2 years – I’m so excited to finally meet you! 3. Revel in the whole experience of the Boston Marathon, drinking in every sight, every sound. 4. Finish the race uninjured. 5. And yes, if all goes well, I’d like to at least come close enough to my AF Marathon time to get a 2009 BQ. If I achieve 4 out of 5 of those, Ill still come away feeling triumphant. Smile Since the weather forecast for Boston is slightly warmer than I previously thought, I decided not to wear my bag-lady coat, but instead to wear the padded jacket that my son has now outgrown, with my thrift-store lined pants. Still a nice donation to Boston’s homeless, but not quite so bulky in my suitcase. We’re not leaving until tomorrow morning, but I’m already so excited that I barely slept last night… Happy Friday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Great post Vista and my adrenaline is starting to build. Thank you for the luck and the sprirt we'll carry on race day. I do believe Maraposai (and divechief, arf and tet too!)i is running a marathon this weekend, yes? We'll be with you on that journey too and remember....let the race come to you, run in your own bubble and in your pace groove. You'll surely soar to the finish. My adrenaline is high because of Monday and also last evening. I flew into Boston yesterday evening after a day in Atlanta with some clients. I routed my travel that way because I was invited to join Kathrine Switzer and her husband Roger Robinson for dinner after the viewing of Spirit of the Marathon at the Fenway Regal 13 theater (yes, right across from Aamos's fave--Emack & Bolios). This came about through a client connection and a thoughtful friend who asked if I wanted to join them. There were just five of us last evening and I sat across from Kathrine and next to Roger. I heard the back story behind the Sprit of the Marathon movie (almost didn't make it to the screen) and so many more details about Kathrine's historic and iconic Boston marathon run all those years ago. We share Syracuse and the same roads and hills -----although I was trodding in her footsteps some years later. I even got a good luck hug at the end of the evening and that's all I need! Two plus hours in the company of one of my heroes---priceless! I could have listened to them all evening....amazing and very kind and compassionate people---both of them. Kathrine's fight to get the women's marathon into the Olympics is a story that needs to be told over and over. It was just 1984 after all. Good running and working out to all....Boston or not, last night's experience was reaffirming for me in that the running community is a caring and wonderfully friendly one and includes all levels of runners. I'll be going back in this afternoon to volunteer (and meet btb!--and -maybe others of you picking up your stuff today) Enjoy the day, Karin MTA :Hi Holly-----it can be cold waiting in the Athletes Village and the lows may still be 40 on Monday---wear the coat or use it as bedding! Remember you will be waiting for a few hours. It was chilly in Boston last night. Hello Tall.
            AWESOME
            Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Great start this morning Vista! Holly - think we need pictures!! You are going to have such a wonderful time - enjoy the time away!! Rest day for me today - thank goodness! I have not been sleeping well this week and last night was the worst. The brighter sky with the full moon coming gives Brinkley a better view of the woods. Nothing like a dogs low growl to annoy the heck out of you in the early morning hours. TGIF! ~Mary

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
              It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

dg.

good morning Smile Joey, thanks for starting us. Holly, I hope you meet all 5 of those goals! Mary, catch up on your sleep. you've been really pushing it lately. at least it seems like that to me. Sadie didn't growl. but, she snored. don't tell her I told you. CNY, what an evening. thanks for sharing it. like a booster rocket. Rosie, we shall. I didn't do mine either. SR, Livonia is very close. How long will you be there? Twocat, best wishes for you & your calf. thanks for keeping us posted. you have such a great attitude! another track day, 4.52 miles total. I behaved for most of it, even had a plan. and then during my cool down walk I did a mini-strider & got up to 7:16 pace. i need some version of the phantom police car! better yet, a real one. what a week. I'm so excited about this it's almost ridiculous. good luck to all of the racers, Boston bound or otherwise. looks like you'll all be getting some of the pent up energy of the rest of us on the board!
                  What a great day for a nice easy gneral aerobic 5 mile run with some strides - 50 degrees and sunny too! Cool 5.02 Miles w/6 x 100 meter strides - 9:08 - 8:51 - 8:40 - 8:40 - 7:35 - :09 - (8:35) - Avg HR -131 I can feel the excitement in the air, everything is pointing to a very nice partly cloudy day with highs in the upper 50's with only a threat of a few showers...if this holds true it will be awesome!

GreenMan

Wow, CNY, that was a special treat, and a just before Boston! Restday. I neglected to post yesterday that the FiveFinger "shoes" were great. I did 5.5 miles recovery before I stopped because of forefoot discomfort. It subsided almost immediately, and this morning the feet are slightly tinglely but feel generally normal. The heel strike avoidance will initially stress the forefoot, which should strenghten over time. I think they will make a great training shoe, and for just rambling in the woods. I'll likely stick with my Montrail Streaks for Promise Land on 4/26, which if I finish, I believe it will make me eligible to become a Maniac. Big grin Have fun all ye Boston Bound, jjj
                    Iron Mt. Trail Runners blogsite .... JJJessee blogsite ....Spring is here. Go outside and play.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

NO time to post.. goals 2-4 of Holly's + maybe PR 5 Magical healing Miles with Tory (his last til Thursday). All silky smooth. My friends at teh dog park say they will surround me tonight to prevent a dog from running into me... ain't that sweet Smile Leave tomorrow... good omen.. Told some dog park friends that my bib was 14360 they said "our house number is 1436"... woooo Enjoy the day! Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Henrun

I love living in Boston, especially this time of year whether I run the big one or just watch it. Looking forward, as everyone is, to meet our virtual friends. The day is sunny and warm. Getting in as much activity as I can. Will shortly bike 1.5 miles to get a haircut. This afternoon I'll run 4+ miles to the expo where I'll meet Marj and a few others. What a weekend Big grin Big grin
                        Mariposai

Vista, that was a moving post...I was all teary eyes as I read it. You are one great writer my friend. tall, good luck in your HM this weekend and the 14k cooldown afterwards. You Boston runner please know that you may be alone running the race course on Monday, but spiritually you have a myriad of running friends who is mentally running with you every step of the way just as we were there for you every step of the way during your training. Speaking of training schedules for a marathon, I was thinking of the monumental task we all have in training for a marathon. Let us face it, we are all busy people, and yet we commit to the task of training 500-1000 miles or more to be ready for the event. I know we all have to overcome obstacles to fit in the miles. We had endured soreness, pains, crankiness, injuries, etc, but yet...we kept on plodding along until we get to the starting line to run 26.2 miles. Yes indeed we are warriors and conquerors and we must be proud of it. Absolute rest today and tomorrow since my 26.2 miles of victory lap day is on Sunday (in the snow and rain I am being told)

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

6 easy miles with T this morning...8:10 pace Mariposai-Good Luck in Wenatchee!!! Give Tet a hug for me,he is a great guy!!!
                            Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

cny - thanks for Wenatchee. Divechief and I have handed in our excuse slips to ilene so it will be a goddess special. We hope to make up for it with a special birthday lunch on Boston Monday. 3J - if the Promised Land 50K is the same “not-your-average-50K-race/toughest-50K-you’ll-ever-love” one with the 8,000 feet in elevation that it takes us 50 miles to get out here in the PNW and with a 10 hour time limit instead of the usual seven, I think you’re already a maniac. ps - doesn’t even sound like you need the protection of the 5-fingers anymore. lynden/mariposai - super thnax; I'll try to get two hugs for you from each of goddesses too, . . . maybe a hug for everyone who's running Boston too, . . humm, . . . all the boomers who have ever run a marathon, . . . all the marathoners in the world, all the boomers who have ever been boomers -.......but when is your next real marathon hug gunna be?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Skagit Flats...
                                Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip