Masters Running

Tuesdaily, 7.2.19 (Read 45 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Great runs, posts, pet reports (and gardening too), and photos yesterday!

It seems like everyone is getting summer weather, and all its temperature, humidity, and bug challenges.

Speaking of Topo shoes, I recently got a pair of ST-3, which are 0 drop, lightweight (still with a bit 'o cushioning, and nicely flexible.

I got out for 6.7 RW predawn miles in 68° temps this morning. I had negative splits for the first 4 miles, and then backed off for the rest of the way because my favorite ankle was starting to murmur at me and I didn't want it to start yelling.

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

bioguy

Yesterday included:

Joe 4+ and spinach
      StevP- 2.5 pre-sunrise
      Tramps- 4
      Jay- 6.3 with a no go mojo
      Dave- 3.2 and a duck sighting
      Tammy- SRF
      Spacity- 3 mile walk plus dog walk
      Holly- 4.75
      Henrun- voyaging to the Hamptons
      tetsujin- 10 mile cycle
      dnaff- liller yoga workout and lawn mowing
      annex has welcomed a new pup
      fatozzig- 3 mile walk
      RunnerKSA- 2.1 on the mill
      MileE- speedy intervals
      Falcon 6 miles

I got out for 5 today.

Tailwinds!

Dave59

To the park for my 5th day in a row running this morning (no tire eating ducks). 3.2 very warm miles, but my next run will be warmer. It is supposed to be 80° on Pensacola Beach at 7:00 AM Thursday. It should be too much fun to care about the temperature. 

We'll leave a little after noon today and try to make it to Huntsville, Alabama. We'll go the rest of the way on Wednesday. It is a bit unfortunate that our annual trip to get the granddaughter falls on a big travel weekend. But it is just how all the pieces fell together this year. Hopefully we won't get stuck in too much traffic today/tomorrow or when we come back on Sunday.

I pack way too heavy. It's no big deal when we're driving but it is embarrassing that I have so much more than Cindy. I have 1 bag for my running stuff which is explainable, but then my main bag has way too much stuff. How many shirts will I need? Temps in the 90's, trips to the beach, etc. I foresee the need for multiple shirts per day so I'm not wearing a sweaty, stinky shirt. So I just take a whole pile of shirts. Cindy will have one little bag like she is going overnight somewhere and not traveling for a week.

I'll bring my home laptop but leave my work laptop at home. If there is an emergency at work, I'm out of luck. Then there is a bag of toys I bought for the girls.... tablet, book, chargers (laptop, phone, tablet)...  cords for all of those plus my watch cord....Maybe I'll leave the laptop at home and survive a week on a tablet & phone.

Someday I need to go stay in a cabin for a vacation with no electronics.

Tramps

Thanks, Jay and bioguy

Dave--good thing you're not flying!

Erika--read about the impending cuts. Wow. Will this be affecting you more than it already has?

I got back on the bike for the first time in 12 (?) days. Took it very easy for 20 miles and even stopped to take some photos of the prettier spots on my usual nearby route.

(bonus points if you can find the horses)

The mighty Potomac was calm as can be today.

As more and more development rolls into the area, empty fields are a rare luxury now.

(BTW, I used  Paul's method of mailing myself Google photo link. It seems to work fine though it crops panoramic shots.)

Be safe. Be kind.

anneb

Good morning! Last day of work for this week. We were supposed to head to Florida which we’re postponing due to puppy, but I’m still not working 🙂

SteveP, not sure if I’d let that mud in my car. Hope you had lots of towels at least? That is a lot of carp. Great pics of A dog though.

So 3 miles on the mill last night for me, and 4 miles run/walk this morning. This h+h is kicking my butt and I barely managed to get through 4 in under 48 minutes. Ah well. Today was the worst with temp of 78/dp of 71. I hope everyone is doing better than I am with this weather.

Nice pictures tramps! I will try again when I get to my office.

Anne

...Great pictures.....

...........Thanks to steve and AvengerDoggie...........Claire Loved the pictures

==========

off to Knocksville

.....we're going to the Y to swim laps

..........Claire beat me yesterday in 10 separate laps

they were having SummerCamp at our Y,

we

had to navigate around several thousand Midgets

in the locker rooms

..............Good Running Guys..........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0uR2cNaqdE&index=2&list=PL4EE3BD1E35E2E69D

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Good morning too jay and thanks for steve’s pictoral sign-off last night and bio’s summary this morning.   However, too bad Avenger can’t experience rolling in salmon carcasses along the river banks out this way in the late-summer/fall.
                Nice Tramps' cycling pictorial too.

Surly - after reading about Hayward Field in Kenny Moore’s Bowerman book, I’m glad I got to circuit Hayward Field in 2007 my original orange-and-yellow Waffle Stompers at the Boomer Reunion Inaugural Eugene Marathon and then again Zola Budd style when the marathon started there the next day.  Did Zola Budd ever run at Hayward?

1.5 miles - hit the hay way too early yesterday after the 9-hour AmTrak Empire Building trip back to Seattle from Idaho (once again to the delightful accompaniment of Interpretive Volunteer Stu Snider noting historical points of view along the way) so, after waking up at 2 am for a very pre-jay garden watering after yesterday’s 84F, up-and-downed the 54 top stairs in the Hillside Park using pennies, nickels and dimes combinations to count out 60 times (6 dimes) totaling 3,240 stairs covering 1.5 miles in 45 min (30m/m).  Nothing like when I could really run but it seemed just as much like running as it did in those much faster days so that’s my story and I’m sticking to it.  

With each ascent gaining 40' from 196'-236', though, not sure why the MapMyRun app elevation was only 8' when it should have been 40'x60 = 2,400'. Uhmm.
                ps dave - might has well pack it instead of later wishing you had, especially when you’re going somewhere that sounds like a good place to stay without going back.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Joe618

Great stuff, folks.   Thanks for the start, Jay, and a good recap, Bioguy

I'm with Dave59 on the travel stuff, as I'm on the road after work tonight as well...heading to Minneapolis to visit our kids there.   I got away with one bag but I did count shirts...8 for 4 days.   Same thinking on the "stinkyness"...and that doesn't count my running stuff.   DS2 and I are running a pair of races on Saturday morning, a 4 mile race and then, an hour later, a 1 mile race.   I've never run in a competitive one mile race.   Very interested to see what I can do, wide open for a mere mile.   What will the first digit be??   Drive home on Sunday.

MikeE and I are hoping to connect on Saturday afternoon in suburban MPLS.   Hope that works!!!

I'll wave to AnneB on my way past Chicago and then look west and wave to dnaff as I turn through Rockford and head into Wisconsin. 

Rock your Tuesday, all. 

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

sluggo

John

Had my first run with my new Brooks Adrenaline's yesterday. Feet felt good and it always feels good to thoroughly sweat through my clothes.

I had 379 miles on my old shoes and I used to run 500 before buying new. I don't realize that my old shoes are shot until I buy new ones,

Adrenaline's are my got to shoe. I always regret my choice when I buy something else.

John
                    www.wickedrunningclub.com

In the beginning, the universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

--- Douglas Adams, in "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe"

Great pictures, Tramps. Thanks for the start, Jay and bioguy.    3.2 humid miles this morning.  Summer is definitely here.  I'm working until 1:30 tomorrow and then that's it until next Monday.

Turns out in Michigan that if you are overcharged by mistake, mis-tagging or something, at the register that you are entitled to a penalty on the spot (or within 2 days) besides the refund.  If the retailer should mess up and not pay this and either not receive the notice or ignores it, the penalties and fees accumulate, including attorneys fees, and you wind up owing a potential $500 for a $1 mistake that was remedied on the spot.  I'm trying to get us out of this little issue with minimal expense, but it isn't easy.  There is a whole industry of lawyers that just look for this stuff in Michigan and try to trap the retailers.  In our case, the tag on the display had an expired sale price and the register rang up the price at $1 more.  We immediately honored the lower price at the register, but didn't hand over the approximately $5 in penalties.     Geez......

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Great AD pics!!!  And The Hub would be jealous about the popcicle.  He loves them  And he chews them when he eats them, which I can't stand.  It's the equivalent of nails on a chalkboard to me.

Surly - Interesting!  Thanks for sharing the pic of the 10 yr pin.

Tet - Nope, no buckle here.  I'd of had to of run (and finished) a 100 miler, which hasn't happened.  I'm still holding out hope, but every year it doesn't happen, a little bit of hope fades.

An hour of core/ST in the wee hours of the morn.  Both The Hub and I were wide awake around 2:30.  He finally got up around 3:30 and I got up at 4:00.  We'll see how long it takes before "crap, I've been awake since 2:30" sets in. 

Happy Tuesday ~~

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

Mike may be going to Hawaii, but I have an exciting trip planned to MN in August!  I hear MN is fabulous that time of year. 

Will get in a run after work tonight. 

I think that's all I got. Coffee hasn't kicked in yet, so I may think of more when my brain is more awake.

Tammy

dnaff

2 miles and not a step more today.  It is already 95.  I went slow slow slow and felt good but then my brain kicked in and said this is silly, there's no breeze and you're beginning to fade.  So yeah, 2 and done.  The weatherman called it "The air you can wear".

Food pantry this afternoon.  We operate out of a small building that is nearing 100 years old.  I hope the a/c works!

Loving all the dog pictures, and Anne, good luck with your new one!  My girl is housebound today; too hot for huskies!!

Joe, I'll look for that wave.  Keep your head down and your eyes straight ahead though, Rockford is becoming a scary place, even if you are just passing through.

Marathon Maniac #957

Tramps - nice pics!

No run for me today, swimming instead - 50 times across the pool (1250 yards).

Back at it....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

BTY

Good afternoon runners!  Day 2 of Staycation 2019!   Yesterday kicked off with a lot of outdoor work and trying to sell some old things on Facebook Marketplace, including a couple of doghouses I made a while back - which was a few years too late for our cardigan corgi Lindsay and her corgi-beagle mix son, Starbuck.  I just figured they loved their crates at bedtime so they would love doghouses.  Not so much.  Fortunately, I made them mostly with things I had in stock here at the house with the exception of the vinyl siding.  And I got to spend some time with DS2, learning together how to install vinyl siding. I think it was four years ago.  I got a lot of "Is this still available?" messages and sold one of the two, and I think the other will go this evening - but no real interest in the 2004 Dodge pickup truck with snow plow.  That truck is normal sized, not corgi-sized.  So I thought it would go pretty quick.  So far....looks like it's getting donated to charity instead.

Back in the pool last night for just 20 minutes or so.  I swam 100 yards breast/100 back/100 free, making sure I did flip turns at every turn for back and free, then 2x25 yards butterfly with some resting; then another breast/back/free repeat with flip turns (not on the breaststroke of course) but skipped the 2x25 butterfly as I was pretty well spent from working outside in the heat and sunshine.  Total of 650 yards.  Not doing too many yards these days and only getting in once or twice a week, but the turns are definitely getting better!

Not having to go to work after my strength training this morning meant I got to do a few more exercises than usual.  I have the hardest time getting the very first repetition of bench presses started with dumbbells, whether on a flat bench or the various inclines.  If I can get the first rep completed, I know I can probably get the whole set, pretty much every time.  It must look pretty funny to onlookers because I really struggle with that first rep and then do 5 or 6 or sometimes more with no problem, then fail on the last one (by design).

I'd like to get outside and do some work on this coolest day of the week (forecast high of 85 later but it's only 72 at noon), but it just keeps starting and stopping raining - just hard enough that I don't want to be out working in it.

Have a great day, all!