Masters Running

40's haulin butt..summer's running away ... (Read 480 times)

jfa

almost August already ! Deep summer is when laziness finds respectability ~ Sam Keen Summer is a promissory note signed in June, it's long days spent and gone before you know it, and due to be repaid next January. ~ Hal Borland Been moaning about the heat, but it's nicer than winter! Got out at 5:30 am this morning and had a nice 16.3m long run. First 6m w/ Buddy, rest without. C ya's

jfa

Lucky enough to cut outta work early on Friday, so I took a run around the lower tip of Manhattan. Ended up under the Brooklyn Bridge.

jfa

very Gump-like, I decided to go over the Brooklyn Bridge. There is a pedistrian walkway built above the roadway. MTA- the bridge is not crooked, but my cellphone photography sometimes is.... Lower tip of Manhattan.To the far left is the Statue of Liberty.

Very cool pictures, Joe. You took those with your cellphone? Thanks for sharing! And great quotes! Spent the day cleaning out the computer/storage room so that we could put a "new" corner desk unit in. New to us, but gently used by a friend's daughter. It was FREE! Big grin And it's working like a charm. Everything went fairly well until I had to plug all the crap back in again. Dropped a few 4-letter words in the process, but our friend, who helped move the monster, ended up figuring out what I was doing wrong re the Internet. The desk barely, and I mean barely made it around a corner to get to the room. The room once it was clean out - holy cow! Pretty yucky. We have way too much stuff stored in there. Lots of it needs to go to the attic. It's one of those rooms where you're embarrassed to have anybody see it. You know the room? No? It's just us?? Oh well . . . Okay, I'm off a well-deserved glass of wine and some dinner. Later!

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Ultrachick

Even though I don't know what the stuff is...instead of the attic how about a dumpster? Big grin I'm a big fan of dumpsters or recycling if it can be. I figure any inheritance my parents might leave me will be spent on dump fees cleaning out everything they keep "just in case". I'm back!!!!....I had a good race on Saturday. The water was cold, the mud was deep, I wanted to quit right from the start but kept going and ended up finishing about 6 minutes slower than last year in 7:16:43 and placed 2nd Female Master! I got a silver finishers medal and free entry to next year's race! I'll have a better race report this week with pictures. I went mtn biking today for 3 hours-my longest time on a bike in years and go figure in VT it was all uphill! Now I really can't walk downstairs and I wish I had those handles on the sides of the toilet that old people use to help myself get down and up Big grin I'm getting a masssage this week-I say this after every race like this but this time I'm going to follow through with it. Jack was my support crew and did a great job-I only snapped at him once at the last aid station-probably why he found the most uphill route possible today to bike. Cool pictures Joe and have fun with that room Leslie-1-800-GOT-JUNK? Do you have this service out there? Big grin I'm off to the shower to scrub at two layers of mud residue from my legs-wish I had a seat in there! Kelly
            If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
              Super pics Joe......I was thinking the same as Leslie, those are from a cell phone? What a city! Congrats on the 16 plus miler. Bet Buddy was happy to get his 6 in. Congrats Kelly. We'll be looking forward to the report with pics! All's I can say is girl, you can run! I don't have any spare rooms in the house or I'd probably have one of those cluttered sorta rooms, but they are all taken by humans who better keep em clean or else...... Have a great week........Jewels
              But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
                Way to go Kelly....2nd overall masters female!!!! Betcha you're glad you didn't let that early on quit impulse win out. I can imagine that one would get a little testy towards the end of one of those races. I'm sure Jack understands, though with his superman like finish in the last race, he may be one of those who crosses the finish line looking like he was just out for a stroll. Nice pics Joe! Cityscapes can really be beautiful. Always fun to run near water for some reason (not in it like Kelly, though Smile. And what's this about a 16 miler? I musta missed something...like a whole lotta miles! Leslie, congrats on your remodeled office! Free is always good when it comes to furninture. As for the junk, I understand. The office I have now (formerly a spare bedroom), was one of those rooms that we would skip when showing anyone around the house. But it got cleared out when we moved in part of a cubicle that I picked up for $150 at the Comp USA corporate going out of business sale. NEVER thought I'd have a cubicle in my house (afterall...isn't that what we all try to escape), but it's really nice stuff (HON), complete with overhead lighted bins, and a couple of rolling file drawers. Jewels, good to see ya! Given any more thought to the Hal Higdon program? I'm liking the flexibility and variety of it. I kinda jumped ahead a little on my "long" run, so hopefully will be able to build up closer to race distance and/or take a couple of cut-back weeks where needed. Hoping I learned something from my hip injury last year about when to push and when to back off, but time will tell if intellect or endorphins win out Smile Busy weekend for us. 5 miler on Saturday felt pretty good, though slow and hot. This weekend was the launch for our new church, so we were busy with setup on Sat. afternoon, prep Sun. morning, two services, and then some followup paperwork. Really cool though...there was a snafu with the only mailing that went out, so only about half of them made it to people's mailboxes. We thought not too many folks would show up as a result, but God seems to have taken care of that because we wound up having to set up more chairs after the service got started because people just kept coming! Guessing around 200ish. Lots of fun, and can't wait to see what happens next! Well, off to work I go (or stay in my case). Have a trip to the gym planned for this evening for 40 min. of elliptical + weights. Later.....
                Progress Trumps Pefection

flatland mountaineer

Hi guys Congrats Kelly nice job!! Joe thanks for the pics, nice LR. Carol glad your lr mileage is creeping up without probs. Spent yesterday bushwhacking through the woods in the rmnp mountains and got one minor summit. Missed my big summit traverse today as work calls and have to spend th morn on puter and phone but at least I got Sunday and can do my work today from beautiful Estes Park. have a great week folks

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Top 'O the World!

Happy Monday Gang! Joe: Smile kewl! run, pics..thanks for sharing! ...looks like it might sometimes be easy to "lose the mileage" there. Leslie:...in an effort to contain the amt of "stuff" accumulated around our house, (even though at the moment we have an available spare bedroom), we have opted to park our desk pretty much right smack dab in the middle of the house, whereby we MUST endeavor (in order to protect our fragile ego) to keep the debris piles managed.... Wink and the ONLY things that we keep for "inheritance" would be those things that actually have value as such....family photos, 2 antique shotguns, 2 antique (hand carved in Germany) dressers, a coupla dishes that were my Great Grandmothers, one antique silver table service set, family heraldry/coat of arm....everything else is just "personal comfort" items...I like em, but I'll bet my kids would get rid of them in a heart beat, soooo as I approach retirement, those things will be thinned out via garage sales & whatnots.. Kelly: Congrats on a great finish. Looking fwd to the RR! Aren't you glad you didn't quit Wink Just one massage?!? I'll be right there! Big grin Jewels: How's things going w/DD? I remember going through those teenage years somewhat on auto-pilot! Roll eyes some days, you just take a deep breath.....& DONT ask what's next - cause sure as Murphy, you'll get it!!! Carol: What fun!! & glad your running program is coming along!! Hoping things mellow out w/your "challenging" neighbor! Is it wrong to "visualize" evil things happening?! it's not the same thing as hoping is it? Evil grin I would feel guilty about that....sorta. R2: How long are you staying up @ Estes? Supposed to be dastardly hot & dry @ lower elevations for the next several days....just saying! Mebbe Lynda should just join you up there for a few..... Wink Arla? you recovered yet? Did you take pictures?? ya gotta share so we can "vacation vicariously" Well, yesterday's Golf Tourney/party thingy well terribly awry....Several young people were already quite "primed" @ 7am - & continued drinking - heavily!.... Roll eyes while we didn't have the predicted "cart in the lake," we did have two groups being closely monitored/talked to by the course marshals which in itself resulted in the owners lecturing the whole group on "mature/responsible" behavior...but the worst happened @ the end of the day...one of said 'trouble groups' rolled a cart in the parking lot resulting in an ambulance being called for at least a broken arm & road rash....this morning's update: two plates, 14 pins, several hrs of surgery & off line for min. 8 wks! btw, said young-un is a line mechanic in a major dealership....probably lives too "paycheck-to-paycheck"..... OK, I finally called the podiatrist - he's a distance runner/tennis player who works heavily w/athletes - highly recommended....& I get to chat w/him tomorrow @ 4:00....gonna lay off the foot till I talk to him...Saturday's run was maybe ill advised as I seem to have lost the "feeling better" progress that I'd made....after the big wknd I had (relatively speaking) I'm icing & "resting" (btwn housework) today....
                    Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                      Kelly - Way to gut it out! However, the bike ride the next day? I'll chalk it up to delirium from the previous day. Wink Farmer Jim - Sounds like you're enjoying your well-deserved down time. Taking any pics to share?? Carol - It sounds like you're progressing really well. Keep up the good work. Cindy - Too bad about the kid on the golf cart, but that's how you learn to NOT be so stupid. Lucky it was just a golf cart and not a car. Sounds like you had fun, though. Cripes, I haven't swung a golf club is probably close to 3 years. I sucked at putting, but wasn't too awfully bad off the tee and down the fairways. Now, I'd probably embarrass myself and then not be able to raise my arms the next day. Smile Most of the, um, shall, we say extra "stuff" in that room belongs to The Hub. He is an old book hound, and I'd guess that at least 3 boxes were full of books he's scrounged up or been given. There's also quite a number of items he was allowed to take from the house of an older gentleman who died with no family. A contractor friend bought the house, contents and all, and let Shorty go through and take what he wanted. We got some pretty amazing things that we need to have appraised. Really old family pictures, all his letters to his parents from when he was in the service in WWII, linens and a few dishes that, from the letters, looks like he brought back from Europe with him, some children's books that, from the copyright dates, are from the mid-1800s and hand-guilded. So I'm hoping he at least goes through some of the boxes of books and gets rid of a few. I'm actually pretty good about eliminating "clutter." My theory - if you haven't used it, needed it, or even thought about it for the past 12 months, get rid of it. Unfortunately, The Hub doesn't hold to that theory very well. Evil grin And since this is suppose to be about running Big grin 6.28 miles in something like 1:15. This includes 6 1-minute strides w/45 seconds of rest in between, right in the middle of my run. It was actually "warm" enough here this a.m. for me to wear shorts at 5:00 a.m., but the fog was pretty heavy and drippy. OH (I know, when is this post going to end . . .) - It's official. My job ends at the end of this year. I was told that I have an open-ended offer at another firm, so I need to go talk to that attorney and see if it's still a go. I'll be very sad to leave this place. I adore the guys I work for, they have been very, very good to me. But I guess at some point, all good things must come to an end, huh? Keeping my fingers crossed the move is a positive one.

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Bump! Big grin Clowning around Big grin Cool Big grin

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Late Night Bumpity Bump, Bump, Bump

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

psst! Leslie....peeps are still sleeping Wink I'm skipping boot camp this am till after I talk to the podiatrist/sports dude today...Doug just left w/Mairead for a few....Ya know, that feels a little weird!? I even saw him online reading running stuff last night! Confused
                            Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

jfa

Morning kids ~ regarding the collection of "junk" , it's a luxury that we don't indulge in. We live in a smaller 85 yo house with no basement, attic, or garage. We could not be pack rats if we tried! Nice early Buddy run at the beach this morning. I don't know if anyone's interested in doing alot of pushups. If so, come join us over here http://hundredpushups.com/ I'm just starting week 3. Cheers

Top 'O the World!

what level W3 Joe? I keep re-starting W3/L1 because of the boot camp thing...